Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early one morning last week I hydroplaned at 70 mph in my Ridgeline! I turned sideways to the freeway and slammed into the concrete divider head-on. Amazingly, my wife and I were okay. In fact, the truck was still drivable! It didn't even lose coolant, even though the radiator was bent and pushed against the block. It's going to be about $15K to fix, possibly a total loss. It is a 2008 RTS. I am convinved it saved my life, and I WILL be getting another Ridgeline. BTW, with the amount of water on the road (sudden downpour, water off a semi-truck and a low spot in the road), I can't fault the truck for hydroplaning. More like dumb driving.

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
Glad to hear you and your wife are okay. You didn't say but did you have air bag deployment. That will be a big consideration in determining whether or not the truck is totaled. Any pics of the damage would be good as well

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I think anytime you can drive away from hitting a wall at 70mph is amazing!

I wonder if rain tires would have helped??? Hydroplaning is scary stuff!!!!:act063:

Good old Ridgeline, would have been scary in my del Sol....:act060:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I had a similar experience in a Ford Explorer several years ago. It was hydroplaning specifically that motivated me to get rid of it. Fortunately I've never had that problem with the RL. Glad to hear you both walked away, the truck may have died in the line of duty but sounds like it did what it was supposed to do, which is keep you safe in a crash situation.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The truck is replaceable. You and your wife are not. Glad to hear that the both of you walk out OK.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Poor Ridgeline :(

·
Registered
888 Posts
Glad to hear you're both okay! Sorry to hear about your RL. I know how you feel, having totaled one too. Did your airbags go off? This seems to be a major factor as to whether they total a vehicle or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the kind replies! The airbags did deploy. Passenger door would only open a few inches, driver's door about 1.5 feet. But windows still worked and the radiator didn't lose coolant, despite being pushed back against the engine and bent.
We were passing a semi (who sped up as I tried to pass), hit very heavy rain and a low spot in the road all at the same time. Tires were in pretty good shape, with about 40K on them. I do NOT blame the truck for hydroplaning; I have never come close to it before with the Ridgeline. As far as I am concerned, it saved my life.
BTW, we were on the way to the airport to catch an Alaskan cruise. Thanks to a good friend, we made our flight!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
BTW, we were on the way to the airport to catch an Alaskan cruise. Thanks to a good friend, we made our flight!
Glad you made your trip. It would have been a double shot to miss your vacation on top of wrecking your truck!

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (successor to 2010 Dark Cherry Pearl RTL)
1,207 Posts
We were passing a semi (who sped up as I tried to pass), hit very heavy rain and a low spot in the road all at the same time. Tires were in pretty good shape, with about 40K on them. I do NOT blame the truck for hydroplaning; I have never come close to it before with the Ridgeline. As far as I am concerned, it saved my life.
I'm glad you all are okay. Who knows why other drivers do what they do? I presume you were passing on the left; here in Connecticut we have lots of highway miles where semis aren't even allowed to use the left lanes (sometimes the two left lanes).

Also, Honda seems to be designing more for these kinds of collisions. I crunched the entire right side of my '09 Civic against a cable guardrail last year. Big parts in the front went flying, and all kinds of sensor lights came on (no airbags though), but I was unscratched and they restored the car pretty much to new-like condition with a $13K check from the insurance company. I say "new-like" because both my original dealer (whose body shop repaired it!) and CarMax whined about the collision damage when I traded it on the Ridgeline. The dealer who got my business gave me close to book value for it, which worked out fine.

I'm telling you this because I'd think carefully about whether you want to accept a repair after that kind of damage. It may be fine if you plan to keep running the RL until it drops, but even with a complete restoration your truck took a hit in value after this collision.

The more important thing, regardless, is that you and your wife came through this unscathed (and you got to Alaska!).

·
Registered
528 Posts
Early one morning last week I hydroplaned at 70 mph in my Ridgeline! I turned sideways to the freeway and slammed into the concrete divider head-on. Amazingly, my wife and I were okay. In fact, the truck was still drivable! It didn't even lose coolant, even though the radiator was bent and pushed against the block. It's going to be about $15K to fix, possibly a total loss. It is a 2008 RTS. I am convinved it saved my life, and I WILL be getting another Ridgeline. BTW, with the amount of water on the road (sudden downpour, water off a semi-truck and a low spot in the road), I can't fault the truck for hydroplaning. More like dumb driving.

Glad to hear You and your Wife are ok. :act035:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Happy to hear the wife and you are OK. My 2006 RTL also saved my life and was demolished in Feb '09 (airbag deployment). Once the adjuster reached $14,000 in damage, he stopped and paid me. Also, he told me that insurance companies rather not fix vehicles once airbags have deployed because they are concerned if that vehicle is in a second accident and the airbags don't deploy, everybody points fingers (repair shop, air bag manufacturer, part supplier, etc.). Yours should be a total loss too. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I should hear tomorrow, but it does look like a total loss. About $15-16K in damage. The repair shop where it sits has declined to repair it because of all the damage. To think we weren't hurt and could still drive the truck, wow! Looks like I'll be driving another Ridgeline soon.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thats crazy. Glad you're OK.

Any pics?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I concur with everyone else GLAD you and your wife are fine!:act030:

·
Registered
423 Posts
The Ridgeline is a very tough vehicle (believe me, I know). Glad you and yours are ok. After my accident, I replaced mine asap. This is the safest vehicle I've ever owned.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts