Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not really sure what this is . Idle learn procedure. I reciently changed my battery and later read about this process I do not know if I did this correct or not. How can I tell the difference?

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,669 Posts
I have a question. According to the FSM, the idle learn procedure is required after certain maintenance, but battery replacement is not one of them. Where is it specified that the ILP needs to be done after battery replacement?

· Registered
4,633 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing Speed. The PCM should have some way of holding its memory even with the battery disconnected. I know of the electronic controlles that I work with, ECM, trans controller, abs, and body do not need to be reprogramed when the batteries are replaced or disconnected, but must be done upon replaced or updated.
So Honda shouldn't be any different.

Reactions: PaulDickey

· Registered
637 Posts
Right out of the PDI sheets for the '08:

Do the Idle Learn Procedure
To ensure a steady engine idle, do the idle learn procedure after installing the No. 15 fuse. Idle learn must also be done after you update or replace the PCM, but not after erasing DTCs.

Removing fuse 15 is the same as disconnecting the battery.

· Super Moderator
24,669 Posts
Thanks Goodview. I wondered if that was the case. But it also makes me wonder why they didn't store that in non-volatile RAM. Surely the engineers didn't expect that every vehicle that gets a battery replaced does it at the dealer. And I suspect it's a stretch to assume that even a dealer will do the ILP after a battery change.

· Premium Member
11,332 Posts
I guess batteries are replaced so infrequently, maybe it is worth doing the ILP anyway as a health check, but I would use a 9v backup in the power outlet (ignition switch ON) just to retain the radio/nav codes as well as clock and radio presets.

· Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
9,162 Posts
I did the ILP after I installed my dvd player in my RL. Did not make any difference in gas mileage and I have had the battery disconnected numerous times to install various accessories during the past three years of ownership.

· Registered
5,676 Posts
I think if the battery is disconnected for over 1 hour or maybe even a day like mine, this process needs to be done.

My truck was running rough, got under 14 mpg with 70% highway miles.

I did the ILP and CKP, now it runs as silk, only 1/4 the throttle gives me the power I needed with almost half in before, and the gas gauge does not seem to move as fast as it did before, I doubt it was bad gas, the difference is huge.

· Premium Member
11,332 Posts
Good point on the 1 hour or more. I had my radio disconnected when installing the BT35 bluetooth adapter for at least 30 min. I did not lose any presets. I suspect other memory was retained, don't know for a fact of course.

· Registered
5,676 Posts
Rollinhonda! was it you that said the CKP can be all done on D2?

I did it on D2 and it seem to work?

Also, is the ILP also part of the CKP and both should be done? I am asking because I keep reading about doing the ILP more than the CKP.

Thanks

· Premium Member
11,332 Posts
Rollinhonda! was it you that said the CKP can be all done on D2?

I did it on D2 and it seem to work?

Also, is the ILP also part of the CKP and both should be done? I am asking because I keep reading about doing the ILP more than the CKP.

Thanks
This is a very political time, don't quote me! Oh, you didn't... LOL!
Yes, I think I was able to do it all in D2. But it's a been a year I think that I did it. I can recall doing both.
I was not tracking mpg closely at the time, but 'in general' did not notice anything very different.
Now that I am almost at a dozen 'Fuellys' maybe it's time to see if I can improve my average and try it again. There are lots of open country roads around here, so I can stop anywhere and almost anytime I want to do these kinds of tests.

· Registered
5,676 Posts
This is a very political time, don't quote me! Oh, you didn't... LOL!
Yes, I think I was able to do it all in D2. But it's a been a year I think that I did it. I can recall doing both.
I was not tracking mpg closely at the time, but 'in general' did not notice anything very different.
Now that I am almost at a dozen 'Fuellys' maybe it's time to see if I can improve my average and try it again. There are lots of open country roads around here, so I can stop anywhere and almost anytime I want to do these kinds of tests.
Okay, Thanks.

I do not keep good track of my mileage, I must say, I hardly ever fill up, but tend to put 10 or 12 gallons as soon as I get the yellow orange light and put 10 or 12 gallons to match the previous time I put gas and do my calculation that way, I know it is not perfect but very close, many may argue my method but I know I am within a range and usually get the same numbers even if I do not drive to the same places all the time.

I drove it today about 40 miles and I have to say that my truck drives so smooth now that It it hard to remember if it was that smooth before, I just know a barely step on the gas and it moves quick and smooth on flats and hills and the gauge needle barely moves. :act035:

· Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline EX-L Canadian
1,603 Posts
I have a question. According to the FSM, the idle learn procedure is required after certain maintenance, but battery replacement is not one of them. Where is it specified that the ILP needs to be done after battery replacement?

Wow. I had never heard of this before. This must explain when I go on long trips 4 lane highway and maintain same speed, gear on cruise, after the trip, the truck seems to run much better and smoother. It must act in a similar fashion.

Question:

What do the following mean?

ILP
CKP
PCM
HDS
DTC

Oh, one last thing. Having a Canadian RL with Daytime running lights coming on as soon as you start the engine, do I need to engage my parking brake to avoid them coming on hence having everything shut off?

· Super Moderator
24,669 Posts
ILP = idle learn procedure
CKP = crank pattern learn
PCM = powertrain control module
HDS = Honda diagnostic system
DTC = diagnostic trouble code
FSM - factory service manual
OM = owner's manual
VTM=variable torque management
WTF= well, you figure it out ;)

· Premium Member
11,332 Posts
Oh, one last thing. Having a Canadian RL with Daytime running lights coming on as soon as you start the engine, do I need to engage my parking brake to avoid them coming on hence having everything shut off?
Nothing about disabling them with regards to running ILP in the Service Manuals for 09 and later RLs with DRL.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.