Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother bought a 2017 Pilot Elite, and he commented about how annoying the Idle Stop is. (Vehicle shuts down after coming to a stop with foot on the brake.) It then occurred to me that this has never occurred on my 2017 RTL-E. It was discussed in a couple of threads I found about expected features for the G2 before it was released, but I don't remember this being discussed when I took delivery of it in February. Was this feature dropped for the G2, or can it be disabled?

·
Registered
441 Posts
My brother bought a 2017 Pilot Elite, and he commented about how annoying the Idle Stop is. (Vehicle shuts down after coming to a stop with foot on the brake.) It then occurred to me that this has never occurred on my 2017 RTL-E. It was discussed in a couple of threads I found about expected features for the G2 before it was released, but I don't remember this being discussed when I took delivery of it in February. Was this feature dropped for the G2, or can it be disabled?
It doesn't exist on the Ridgeline and I agree with your brother that it sucks. Driving rental vehicles from random makes with it I really don't like it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't mind it on the models like the Prius or some Fords and some Hondas where one of the "hybrid motors" is used to start the engine but the ones like the Pilot or BMW where it restarts with a regular starter are garbage!!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
There are some vehicles that have a dash mounted switch to deactivate the start stop system which is the best of both worlds. IMHO, shutting the engine down and starting it up every stop is a poor, costly and complicated attempt at saving a few dollars worth of gas every year. The toll it must take on several of the starting components/engine must easily outweigh the gas benefits in the long run. It is almost to the point of ridiculous when it comes to getting every documentable fuel savings nowadays, no spare tire weight savings is among those stupid ideas if you ask me. At lease we get a spare tire and wheel with the RL. Probably will become mandatory on all cars in the near future as the EPA tightens it's grip.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are some vehicles that have a dash mounted switch to deactivate the start stop system which is the best of both worlds. IMHO, shutting the engine down and starting it up every stop is a poor, costly and complicated attempt at saving a few dollars worth of gas every year. The toll it must take on several of the starting components/engine must easily outweigh the gas benefits in the long run. It is almost to the point of ridiculous when it comes to getting every documentable fuel savings nowadays, no spare tire weight savings is among those stupid ideas if you ask me. At lease we get a spare tire and wheel with the RL. Probably will become mandatory on all cars in the near future as the EPA tightens it's grip.
The spare tire thing makes sense to me on a lot of vehicles. They will probably never get rid of them in trucks, but majority of people out there don't know how to or don't want to change a flat on side of road anyway. The other issue is a lot of late model CUVs and cars now come with huge 18-22" wheels/tires that can weigh 40+lbs. To a lot of the population they simply couldn't physically take one of those off their car.

·
Registered
711 Posts
On the Pilot, at least Honda gives you a button to temporally disable the feature. You just need to remember to hit it each time you start the engine.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I wouldn't purchase a vehicle with that option. How does the AC work under those conditions when the compressor isn't turning? I can just imagine being stuck in traffic on a ninety degree day. I assume it will allow you to manually start the car but what if in stop and go?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I also have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee that has that same POS feature. It also has the button that lets you disable it. I've gotten into the habit of hitting that button right after I start the car. I even told the salesman when I went to buy the Jeep that if there wasn't a way to disable that ridiculous feature, I wouldn't buy the car!

I'm very grateful that I don't have to deal with pushing a button to avoid the stop/start dance in the RL!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I experienced the Idle Stop/Start feature a few months ago with a loaner 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Tech.
My old TL was at the dealership for check engine light towed in Saturday mourning they did not get to look at it until Monday. So I got loaner all you do is bring back with fuel tank full anyway I was trying to figure out the push button 9 speed trans on the thing before I left dealership. I asked on of the car porter guys so I would make sure it was in park be in a drive gear and run you over. He was telling me about this and that all I wanted to know about is park and parking brake. He was showing me the IDS button=Integrated Dynamic System for Normal, Economy Sport & Sport + Driving Modes. He failed to mention the Idle Stop/Start button Electronic Parking Brake or Brake Hold buttons. All this stuff is down on the center console with the push buttons of the trans. I did not ask so my fault as well.
I get to traffic light to main road from dealership and car shuts off I said what the heck is going on.
I realize this is the Idle stop and it starts back up when I release brake pressure so I play around with it n the way home. I see the disable button down there by the other console buttons I push it and the car stays on. I could learn to live with it in daily use you can just push the disable button at anytime to cancel it.
It will default back to on every time you restart the car I really would not mind having this feature and the Brake Hold feature= maintains rear brake pressure even after brake pedal is released. So these two features are ideal for stop and go traffic or some major traffic jam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts