Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about keeping your Ridgeline, just do what I did today. I took my RL into the dealership to get the wind noise fixed (Told them to fix existing gap with sealant...do not put new windshield in..too many potential problems) they gave me a loaner...a 2005 Full Size Dodge Truck 4X4 with a Hemi. I got in and immediately noticed the cab was narrower! I then proceeded to drive away...and a I noticed a "bouncing" feeling. I was on regular roads but the truck seemed to hop and "bounce", totally unlike the ridgeline...it's rock solid all the time. Needless to say the only feature that beat the ridgeline was the hemi...pull out under full throttle and a grin gets stuck on your face! Unfortunately, thats all it had...not as much room, rode terrible and had, well, the only way I can describe the Dodge next to the Honda is "primitive". It's like my 1978 Chevy with a 2005 body on it. Same handling, ride, engine, fuel consumption, etc. The Honda is just like the Jetsons and the Dodge is the Flintstones. So, even though I would not ever get rid of my Honda, if you are thinking about it, go try out a Dodge. You'll love your Honda even more! (Mission accomplished...wind noise fixed and can't even notice the sealant. Looks just like the rubber trim and it only took about 45 minute to fix)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll post pics. It's more of a "caulking" than a sealant. It's black and blends right in with the actual seal. From a foot away you can't tell it's there. I'll ask the service guys what they used. This is an excellent small dealership that bends over backwards to service their customers. A lot of their clients are just like me...willing to pay a fair price for a good product and get great service. There are three ridgelines running around our small town and I know all three of the owners. :D

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I just noticed the wind noise about a couple of weeks ago while driving around with radio off. Were is this "gap" you are refering to?
Ive' read most of the posts on this subject and some say it's a 10 to 12 step procedure to fix it (with an area service rep going to the dealer to show them HOW to to it) That scares the hell out of me. Dont like anyone working on my new Ridge that dont know what they are doing! Your solution sounds easier but I wonder WHY there are so many ways to fix this problem.
Does any one out there know of a TSB yet on this problem?

Last Saturday, right at 2015 miles, I got the "creaking steering wheel noise" as I drove into my driveway.

Now I'm becoming very uppset, do I have the dreaded "water leak" also?

Bought my RT/L in mid June with s/n 517127 and was hoping it was "hatched" beyond these problems.

Seems to me Honda would know the s/n cutoff time for these problems and notify the dealers so costomers could bring their RL's in for a checkup.

Anyone hear of this happening?

Back to the dreaded "water leak". I live in So. Calif. (No rain)

What's the best way to check for this? Should I just put a garden hose over it and let in run? And where, over the roof, on the windshield, at the front pillars or fenders?

Would appreciate any comments. Looks like I got two of the dreded problems already.

Thanks for any comments.

Joe

·
Registered
218 Posts
"A lot of their clients are just like me...willing to pay a fair price for a good product and get great service."

HiPSI, I could not agree with you more. Sometimes the best price isn't the best deal. My dealer has been first rate with me for 14 years. I gladly paid the price because I knew I'd get it back in service. The price wasn't that bad either, $1,000.00 over his cost. Actually it's her cost. The dealership is owned by a women.

·
Registered
149 Posts
They might have used black silicon caulk. I got some DAP premium elastomeric latex sealant at Lowe's to fix my cracked dash on the 79 MGB. Ran a bead, let it dry, then took a straight razor blade to cut it off smooth with the dash surface. Easier than replacing the dash. I suspect it would work with a windshield seal job also.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I am still deciding if I really like my dealer or not. They seem to work hard to fix their problems, it is just that they seem to have a few too many problems for me. I have had to have the same fix done twice to one side of my Civic, now I need to have it done to the other side, now it seems odd to me that when I said I had the problem and there was a service bulletin for this problem that they just didn't fix both sides at once. Now it is just a minor noise problem but still annoying. I have yet to have a dealership that I truly liked dealing with except for one a GM dealership some 30 miles from where I live that I drove to anyway because they were really that good.

So far I find the service department closest to me to be a little more reliable but that their sales department is horrible. Which leaves me sort of stuck when it comes to dealing with sale time issues with the service side of things (vehicle prep).

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I first got my truck in March I noticed the windshield molding was folded under across the top center (about a foot in length) The dealer tried replacing the windshield molding and did a very poor job. It was wavey.

I took it back, and they ordered and replaced the windshield and molding. I went to pick it up and the glass was never set in right. One side was higher than the other in the top corners.

The manager tried a different glass company with another windshield and molding. When I went to pick it up, they had completely filled the seam (gap) in the upper windshield corners with gloss black sealant. Looked terrible! I got the story how the windshield can never be replaced to look factory installed once it's taken out. When I objected, the service manager told me it was the best they could do.

I finally had to file a complaint with Honda about the problem. A representative called and went over my case. Another windshield and molding was ordered and replaced. This time however, they made sure ALL of the old adhesive, and gasket material was removed and dry fitted the windshield before installing it.

I picked it up and it was perfect! No gaps, seams, or wind noise. It is perfect! They even detailed the truck like showroom new. By the way, they also replaced the service manager.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts