Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me ask the question this way, to better help me decide.

• I don't really care for the tech or comfort features. My other car has all of it, so I don't mind if the truck does not.
  • I have no plans to go off road or any adventure trails. It's never been my interest. Where ever off pavement I needed to go, FWD has done well for me. Am I missing out on some fun/adventure without AWD? I never like raw sushi when I was young. I tried it, and it has been one of my top favorite items to eat.
Those with higher trim RLs. If you had to give up one, which one would it be? Our situation/use may be different. But I still like to hear your opinion.

1. Tech/Comfort features (RTL FWD)
2. AWD (Sport with AWD)

For your $36K, which would you buy?

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Test drive both, then pick your poison! Maybe you can give up both, and put money saved toward accessories that are functional for you (tonneau, different wheels or tires, extended warranty, maintenance items).

Getting off-topic, but if "I" were to give up one thing, it would be the integrated infotainment. Please keep the vehicle settings separate from the stereo unit, Honda! JEESH!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think that AWD is a must if you're in snow country. I have an RTL-E and I really could do without a moonroof, in-bed stereo and the power outlet in the back. I have hardly used them. I do like the blind spot warning feature however, all vehicles should have that standard IMHO

·
Registered
603 Posts
If you are buying a Honda for the technology...you already on the path to disappointment.

AWD= can tow to max 5,000lbs.
Great for mud/snow/rain
Better to have it, then not to have it.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
393 Posts
I have the RTL-E also, and I love the way it drives in all conditions, I should also note I live in NJ where we get all kinds of weather. No Idea where you are located and if it's a factor, but I would go with AWD over some of the other features. Plus around here anyway, better resale on AWD.

·
Registered
83 Posts
IMO I would do AWD, the technology is nice but not really a necessary. You can always get aftermarket stereo etc but can't get AWD later :) The leather is not the best IMO, Moonroof I like but not the end of the world. Not sure which radio comes with the sport but that can be replaced. Even if you don't have bad weather, it is helpful in rain or if you want to travel to an area that does have bad weather. Also if you ever want to pull something AWD can tow more.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,357 Posts
Love the AWD for daily sure footed use. The tech stuff I don't really care about. Shut most of it off, but spending 36 and a half and getting the E, couldn't pass it up. As for resale the tech helps, as well as with insurance costs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
After owning 3 AWD vehicles, I will never own another 2WD unless I have no choice.

Today's AWD is, in all seriousness, life-saving.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Let me put it this way. If the Odyssey had AWD, I would never have a Ridgeline. AWD is one of the RL's best attributes. Other than the headlights I don't see the point of optioning up a RL, it's never going to be a daily driver for me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
IMO I would do AWD, the technology is nice but not really a necessary. You can always get aftermarket stereo etc but can't get AWD later :) The leather is not the best IMO, Moonroof I like but not the end of the world. Not sure which radio comes with the sport but that can be replaced. Even if you don't have bad weather, it is helpful in rain or if you want to travel to an area that does have bad weather. Also if you ever want to pull something AWD can tow more.
I agree with everything you say except that all 2020 Ridgelines include the 8 inch touch screen head unit which can't be upgraded. From 2017 to 2019 the RTL and lower trim levels had the 5 inch color radio which can be replaced with an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree with everything you say except that all 2020 Ridgelines include the 8 inch touch screen head unit which can't be upgraded. From 2017 to 2019 the RTL and lower trim levels had the 5 inch color radio which can be replaced with an aftermarket unit.
Ah didn't know the 2020 got the 8 inch, thanks for the correction!

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
If there was an AWD Ridgeline with a manual transmission, rubber floors, durable seat covers, no radio, and only power locks, power windows, power rear window, and moonroof, I would probably be driving it. Where I live I don't even need air conditioning.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
140 Posts
Features/Tech by a long shot. And given all the rattles and squeaks with my sliding rear window, I would swap that out as well.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I would give up the heated rear glass because I'll never use it. Heating a vertical glass seems silly, IMO.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Seems kinda silly to me to discuss a topic in which we ultimately had/have little/no choice in how the vehicle is ultimately accessorized by the manufacturer? At the time we purchased our Ridgeline we originally went in search for the very basic 2WD RT, but there were none to be found. (In fact, we could not find a 2WD of any model at the time any where so that ended that search.) So we then focused on the Sport, but none were to be had locally. We were then offered an RTL locally for less than all the other dealers were asking for their Sports, so we now happen to own a vehicle with a number of accessories we did not choose and in which we could very easily do without. So, ultimately it may boil down to rather than getting a vehicle of your choice, but rather a vehicle of compromise which has the basic desired options available at the right price?
Bill

Added note: Currently we have under 20 Ridgelines on dealer's lots within a 150 mile radius, with the cheapest being listed at $44,000. Luckily this was not the case when we purchased our Ridgeline a year ago or else there would not be a Ridgeline in the driveway today!

·
Registered
2017 RTS White
267 Posts
2017 RTS here. I could do without the Econ button, carpet, arm rests, make up mirrors, eye glass holder, fog lights that's about it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts