Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
15,237 Posts
Let me ask the question this way, to better help me decide.

• I don't really care for the tech or comfort features. My other car has all of it, so I don't mind if the truck does not.
  • I have no plans to go off road or any adventure trails. It's never been my interest. Where ever off pavement I needed to go, FWD has done well for me. Am I missing out on some fun/adventure without AWD? I never like raw sushi when I was young. I tried it, and it has been one of my top favorite items to eat.
Those with higher trim RLs. If you had to give up one, which one would it be? Our situation/use may be different. But I still like to hear your opinion.

1. Tech/Comfort features (RTL FWD)
2. AWD (Sport with AWD)

For your $36K, which would you buy?
I would spend $38.5K and get both.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I’d take the AWD every time. The so-called technology is a very poor value, IMO.

I have to ask, though:
If you don’t care about the AWD (and increased towing capacity it brings with it, AND you don’t care about the frills, why not just spend less on the vehicle overall (meaning, choose neither)?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I would spend $38.5K and get both.
Very true. Agree with 100%. But I don't exactly want to go down that road because everything is just a little bit more. Finance it for 60 months it's less than a cup of Starbucks a day.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
481 Posts
I surprisingly only saw one mention of it in this thread, but to me AWD is very very very valuable if you live where you get any significant amount of snow. Same is true if you live where it rains a lot.
If so, my shopping would start with "what is the best AWD vehicle I can afford." 2wd would not be an option.

I'll add my thoughts on the integrated stereo issue as well. Although aftermarket head units are difficult to add without losing some functionality, it is possible to keep the head unit and upgrade the rest of the system, and turn your system into a into a very high quality sound system, so I don't think that's an issue, other than a financial one 🙂.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a2019 BE. We’ve taken one long trip, AZ to WI, and of course used in town. What I don’t need is the sunroof, I hate the cruise control, in bed speakers, I despise the navigation system because it won’t let a passenger or me enter a new destination or try to find something in a town on the trip. But, honestly we are a BMW family, my wife buys new every 3 years, this truck runs and rides better than any of her beemers ever did. It’s an excellent driving, comfortable truck. I’m really happy with it, but didn’t need the top end stuff, in fact I even heard the lower trim models don’t have that idiotic cruise control.
would I buy a Ridgeline again, absolutely.

·
Administrator
15,237 Posts
What I don’t need is the sunroof, I hate the cruise control, in bed speakers, I despise the navigation system because it won’t let a passenger or me enter a new destination or try to find something in a town on the trip.
So, don't open the sunroof and keep the shade closed; hold the "distance" button on the steering wheel to toggle to "regular" cruise control mode; don't use the bed speakers; and use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay for navigation. :)

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
395 Posts
I have a2019 BE. We’ve taken one long trip, AZ to WI, and of course used in town. What I don’t need is the sunroof, I hate the cruise control, in bed speakers, I despise the navigation system because it won’t let a passenger or me enter a new destination or try to find something in a town on the trip. But, honestly we are a BMW family, my wife buys new every 3 years, this truck runs and rides better than any of her beemers ever did. It’s an excellent driving, comfortable truck. I’m really happy with it, but didn’t need the top end stuff, in fact I even heard the lower trim models don’t have that idiotic cruise control.
would I buy a Ridgeline again, absolutely.
I agree the nav should let you type in a destination when driving, but it will let you pick one from history, or use the voice command. So it is usable when driving, or type fast at red lights :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I like the AWD. I feel more in control during Florida thunderstorms. I would give up heated driver’s seats or the integrated infotainment. I don’t need the heated seats in Florida and I would rather be able to customize the infotainment.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So, don't open the sunroof and keep the shade closed; hold the "distance" button on the steering wheel to toggle to "regular" cruise control mode; don't use the bed speakers; and use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay for navigation. :)
Interesting a guy who got rid of his ridgeline lecturing me about the things I said I don’t need. I like this truck a lot but some things I don’t need. So why did I get them? Anybody who was shopping in December knows why. There was little in stock anywhere and you take what you can get.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
A 4000+ pound FWD vehicle is like running naked backwards through a corn field. No thanks.

No AWD no sale, period. Tech features? I didn’t want any computer driving nannies (ADAS) so I bought the right trim and year, 2019 RTL AWD. No ADAS, and I still got moonroof, rear sliding glass, heated steering wheel and seats. And tri-zone climate control for the k9. And since I don’t have Hal9000 on mine I was able to upgrade the entire sound system and install Wireless CarPlay via Pioneer and can replace the headunit again down the road when this one is obsolete. So OP I did make the choice, I wanted AWD but did not want Honda’s poor driving assist features. Love my truck. And the app based alarm is the best mod to any vehicle I have ever made.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I bought a 2019 Sport specifically for the following reasons:
  • I wanted AWD which is not available on the base model. The AWD is awesome. It's torque vectoring and will actually improve handling on dry roads. Allows 5000lbs towing too.
  • I hate sunroofs
  • I am not a fan of leather seats
  • I DO NOT want safety nannies. Nope!!
  • DO NOT want auto engine stop
  • I specifically avoided the 9-speed transmission. Better the devil you know than the one you don't. Not enough miles/years on the 9-speed in the Ridgeline yet. Like the easier maintenance on the 6-speed too.
  • Didn't want a touch screen radio and wanted to be able to easily upgrade to an aftermarket radio
  • Don't care about power seats
  • Don't want an opening rear window (just another place for a leak to occur)
  • The Sport had everything I wanted...Remote start, keyless entry, keyless start, crew cab, AWD, composite bed, etc.
No other midsize truck gave me what the Ridgeline gave me for the money. For example, to get a Ranger with push button start you have to buy the top trip level Lariat at over $40k. I paid about $28k for my Ridgeline Sport.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts