Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ’07 RTX (55.6K mi.) has a sketchy ignition coil that I hope to get replaced under warranty. Does anyone see any problem with changing out just one coil and not the whole set at this time? If I had a bad spark plug at this mileage, I would change out the whole set just for balance… but what about ignition coils?

·
Administrator
7,334 Posts
No problem to replace an individual coil pack. Warranty is not a big issue... you can buy them for under $40 and replace them in under 5 minutes. Very simple.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it cylinder #4? If yes, I'm afraid you may have a much bigger problem.
I’ve been following your (and others) saga about misfiring/loose plugs/cylinder head damage/etc. Right now, I’ve got a discolored, but functional, #5 ignition coil (front bank, center), but with no signs of fouling on the #5 plug. Also, the plug was factory-spec tight when I removed & inspected it, with no evidence of combustion byproduct leakage into the plug tube. I’ve been delinquent getting the truck into the shop for an inspection, but hope to next week.

Question for you, eburcher: When you initially tried to fix your problem with a new coil and plug, was there any discoloration of the old coil, or did you just suspect it might be bad and decide to replace it as a precaution?

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Silveridge, I saw your coils on post 33, oil in cyl 4 thread and looked at your coils.

I pulled all of them, and all looked identical, not as colored like your #5 coil, but I would say maybe close to in between your best and worst looking one, just a slight tone of discoloration, I wiped some of the white/yellow dust on the tip.

I would suspect the ones on the front are exposed to more moisture, air from the top and could be affected more by those factors, it could be a heat issue, if the engine is dirtier and has grease in the front it could get warmer on that area. My engine was detailed clean when I first got it in 08 and had 68K miles. Just a thought. :act035:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I’ve been following your (and others) saga about misfiring/loose plugs/cylinder head damage/etc. Right now, I’ve got a discolored, but functional, #5 ignition coil (front bank, center), but with no signs of fouling on the #5 plug. Also, the plug was factory-spec tight when I removed & inspected it, with no evidence of combustion byproduct leakage into the plug tube. I’ve been delinquent getting the truck into the shop for an inspection, but hope to next week.

Question for you, eburcher: When you initially tried to fix your problem with a new coil and plug, was there any discoloration of the old coil, or did you just suspect it might be bad and decide to replace it as a precaution?
I don't remember any discoloration in the coil. The dealer "suspected" the coil was bad because the new plug fouled so quickly. I wanted to save a few bucks, so I replaced the coil myself. After that didn't fix it, I turned it over to the dealer. By the way, what you're calling cylinder #5 is what I've been calling #4 (the center cylinder on the side closest to the front of the vehicle). The service technician told me that the odds (1,3,5) are on the firewall side and the even cylinders (2,4,6) are on the radiator side. I'm not sure who's correct. I thought I verified what the dealer told me in the shop manual, but it's been a while since I looked it up. In any case, it appears we are talking about the same cylinder. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I really would not pay too much attention to what the dealers tell you. You can trust more the info posted on this forum and someone will correct it here if it is not accurate.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,897 Posts
Online sources have the coils for anywhere from $45-50-ish. Rock Auto has the Denso part for under $40/ea for the coil. My dealer price matches. Maybe yours will too. Else, order them online.

College Hills Honda

Majestic Honda

Bernardi

Amazon has a set of 6 for $154. I'm not sure if they're OEM though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi i am new to this form but i had the same problem with my 2008 ridgeline at around 60k with the front middle spark plug. The plug backed out a few turns and oil was getting pass the plug. I replaced the plug and cleaned up the oil and everything has been fine. The truck has 92k now. After looking at the engine an the way it is set up i think the problem is with honda. You have an alumina block steal spark plug and all 3 exhaust ports coming together under the middle spark plug an expanding at different temps. I have check the temp on the exhausts after the engine has warmed up and there was about a 30 degree difference between the middle area from the 2 outer cylinder. I have not checked the temps after a good run on a hot summer day but i feel that there would be even a more difference in the temp of the 3 exhausts ports and the area of the plugs. I don't know if i am explaining this right but when you have 2 different metals expanding and cooling at different rates there is the possibility of being a problem. I be leave honda knows about this because this problem has been happening with other v6 honda engines.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts