Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

I'm a norwegian owner of a 2006 Ridgeline RTL, with a mileage of around 120.000. Being super-rare in this part of the world, I've no other option than asking for help on this site.

I've had a bad ignition lock cylinder for months. Due to the high costs of getting the right parts to Norway for an imported vehicle, I decided to try to solve this myself. I'm not a mechanic, but I've kept this wonderful car running for 9 years, doing most of the maintenance and repairs myself. Including more advanced repairs. However, this time I'm really stuck.

I removed the trims surrounding the ignition lock, deactivated the battery, removed the roll pin holding the lock cylinder, and pulled it out. It had only one bad wafer, which was easy to remove. Now the key would rotate without any issues. I assembled the cylinder back together and installed it back into the ignition lock housing.

This is when the problem came. The key wouldn't turn. Wiggling the steering wheel (which was locked) while trying to turn the key, didn't work. All the cables and stuff are naturally attached.

Does anyone know what to do to solve this?

Images attached, just to visualize:

I really need this car back up and running. The closest Honda workshop is an 18 hour drive from here, and there are no locksmiths around these parts.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2007 RTL - 200k miles
140 Posts
Hi folks!

I'm a norwegian owner of a 2006 Ridgeline RTL, with a mileage of around 120.000. Being super-rare in this part of the world, I've no other option than asking for help on this site.

I've had a bad ignition lock cylinder for months. Due to the high costs of getting the right parts to Norway for an imported vehicle, I decided to try to solve this myself. I'm not a mechanic, but I've kept this wonderful car running for 9 years, doing most of the maintenance and repairs myself. Including more advanced repairs. However, this time I'm really stuck.

I removed the trims surrounding the ignition lock, deactivated the battery, removed the roll pin holding the lock cylinder, and pulled it out. It had only one bad wafer, which was easy to remove. Now the key would rotate without any issues. I assembled the cylinder back together and installed it back into the ignition lock housing.

This is when the problem came. The key wouldn't turn. Wiggling the steering wheel (which was locked) while trying to turn the key, didn't work. All the cables and stuff are naturally attached.

Does anyone know what to do to solve this?

Images attached, just to visualize:

View attachment 413933 View attachment 413934

I really need this car back up and running. The closest Honda workshop is an 18 hour drive from here, and there are no locksmiths around these parts.

Thanks in advance!
Currently having the same issue here on my 07 RTL with 220k miles and just found your thread. I might have the answer but I haven't tried it myself.

My key was having trouble inserting so my first fix was to spray WD-40 and using the key, cleaned out the gunk that was sticking to the key. I kept inserting/taking out the key until it was clean. Then yesterday I was able to insert the key but it wouldn't turn at all. I removed the ignition lock cylinder after watching a YouTube video on how to remove it. Took it to the locksmith and had it repaired for $25. Reinstalled and still wont turn. When the cylinder is out of the housing, it turns fine. I went as far as installing the immobilizer ring and connected the battery. The truck makes a beeping sound as if a key is inserted even though there isn't.

So I've been sniffing around YouTube again and came across a comment which let me to this video:

He explains that if you take the cylinder out too quickly, or with the key inserted it could pull on a shaft that locks up the ignition housing as an antitheft. The only way to fix is to remove the housing and hold the steering lock below flush while turning the key. Well he also mentions drilling and picking the steering lock down, but I think I will try the former fix.

Going to attempt this tonight or tomorrow. I just need to find some new bolts to replace the ones removed on the housing. I hope this helps you fix your truck if you haven't already done so. I'll let you know my results.

·
Registered
2007 RTL - 200k miles
140 Posts
So I have my ignition housing apart now. Well hanging by the wiring but got it off the steering column enough to depress the steering lock. I was able to get the key turning, now just need to get it all back together. I'm not sure how anyone can remove the key cylinder without tripping the "lock up mechanism". Every time I remove the cylinder I can hear a click and it locks up again. So my challenge is to keep it in place while assembling everything.

·
Registered
2007 RTL - 200k miles
140 Posts
Got it all assembled and working.

Figured out that when you take the cylinder out, you should have a key in and turned to ACC position. This will let you pull it out smoothly without hooking onto the shaft that locks it up. Wish I knew before I dug into it! Oh well learned a lot and its back working again. Hope this helps some other people.

Hardest part was to remove the ignition housing from the steering column, I used a long flathead and was able to hammer one side of each bolt to break them free. I actually reused them and did the same thing to reinstall/tighten.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.