Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had several different motorcycles and my favorite I have ever owned is a Triumph Daytona 675. It was an incredible bike and I kick myself for getting rid of it. When I bought my house I panicked that I was going broke so I sold all my toys. Thing weren't that dire for me financially and I wished I had kept it. I currently own a Honda Shadow ACE and I decided I want to get a bike that doesn't suck. I miss the power and the thrill of the supersports but I like being able to ride for long distances. I think the Street Triple is a great compromise.

Anyone here ever had one?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With all the guys that own motorcycles here at the ROC I expected to get some advice. No one rocks a Triumph?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry, I have a Victory. I do like the Triumph's though. Visit their booth every year at the motorcycle show. But I am no help, as I have not ridden a Street Triple.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I have a Victory. I do like the Triumph's though. Visit their booth every year at the motorcycle show. But I am no help, as I have not ridden a Street Triple.
New Philly? Two of my best friends are from that little town. And I know a couple people from (this is misspelled) Genatenhutten. Small world.

My cousin sells Victorys in CT. Sharp looking bikes. He loves them.

I rode a speed triple and loved it. Triumph really knows how to make a bike. I didn't buy the ST I thought I'd get bc we were several hundred dollars apart.

I am still going to get one, great machines.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,587 Posts
Street triple is nice. Not sure it is a good match for sport touring but perhaps you just meant day long rides? It is pretty expensive though. If you are a tinkerer, the FZ9 is an inexpensive blank canvas that can be upgraded (mostly needs suspension upgrades) but it has a small tank. Overall, it is an extremely light weight bike with a killer motor (not unlike the Street triple)

For the Street Triple price tag, I would consider the Tuono. It takes power and handling to another level.

I ride an 06 FZ1 which has suspension, braking and engine mods. It now has a wide power band and makes an honest 150RWHP! I got the bike for $3500 when the markets crashed and have put $4k into upgrades. For me the tinkering is half the fun! The bike is now close to Supersport power and handling with comfortable ergos. With my trunk and side cases it will tour too!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So something strange happened this weekend. Going into the weekend I was pretty sure I was going to get a Street Triple. I really wanted the used one I found in Rock Hill (SC) but if I couldn't come to terms with the owner I was going to buy a used one bc they have such good values on the leftover models.

Then this weekend happened and I couldn't make it down to Triumph. I got two separate infusions of cash. My sister paid me back about $5,000 that she owed me and I ended up getting another $4,000 that I wasn't expecting.

Originally I was going to finance about half the bike. With the money from this weekend I have more than enough to just buy the bike... but the money changed my thinking. I decided to max out my IRA for the year and put the weekly amount I was adding to the IRA into my 401K instead. I've decided to just be happy with what I have (a Shadow ACE) and not spend the money.

Strange, and I can't figure out why. Now if the guy selling the used one calls me and comes down off the price (we were about $800 apart when I looked at it) I will be buying it. But oddly the cash from this weekend make my odds of buying the bike drop down to about 5%.

Ever have something like that happen to you?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nothing ever....but last night out of the blue, I went out to my garage and ride my Triumph. 100% chance there was a nice Triumph there and not an old Honda.
I have a 06 Scrambler...love it. My friend had a triple...crashed it as soon as he got it..said someone went in front of him..probably driving a bit nutty though.
I like the thunderbird too if you like the cruisers

·
Registered
118 Posts
New Philly? Two of my best friends are from that little town. And I know a couple people from (this is misspelled) Genatenhutten. Small world.

My cousin sells Victorys in CT. Sharp looking bikes. He loves them.

I rode a speed triple and loved it. Triumph really knows how to make a bike. I didn't buy the ST I thought I'd get bc we were several hundred dollars apart.

I am still going to get one, great machines.
That is a small world. N. Philly is a little burg about 18000 people, so to know 3 folks from this area is kinda neat. Gnadenhutten is about 15 miles from New Philly. I ride through there on my bike quite frequently. It's name is German, but not sure what it translates to.
As far as the bikes go, it's hard to argue with saving for the future. Not everyone has the kind of weekend you just did, so good on you for saving. I personally really like the Ace. The displacement is a little small for my type of riding, but I tried to buy one for my first bike. Ended up with a VStar 650. If you change your mind, there will be plenty of bikes out there. Who knows, you might find a bike you like better than the Triumph when the time comes. Good luck and enjoy the nice riding weather.
Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts