Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2017 had multiple allignments, tires swapped right to left etc, new michellins, and always drifted right, even when you drove in opposite oncoming lane tipped to the left. I got sick of it and traded for a titan.
Gas went up 50% and i went back to a 21 ridgeline.

it has the exact same problem and efforts to mitigate have been simillarly unsuccessful.

any gurus out there have any advice?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
First time I've hear of that issue and just your luck to have it twice! Can't say I have any drifting issues other than my own challenge of staying between lines on the road and not relying on "drive by feel". LOL

Good luck.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well...check the obvious, all 4 tires at 35psi. If it persists, swap RH and LH front tires. If it still persists it is an alignment issue that should be easily corrected.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Many years ago, in a different vehicle, (Mazda), I experienced pulling to the right, "dog tracking". It was very pronounced driving in snow. Finally figured out it was the right rear brake cable / brake caliper gripping too tightly. Local Mazda service dealer's refused to address it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well...check the obvious, all 4 tires at 35psi. If it persists, swap RH and LH front tires. If it still persists it is an alignment issue that should be easily corrected.
All of that was mentioned in my post as being done, i bought thisone before it came off the truck, moral of the story never buy what you cant test drive.

Welcome to the Ridgeline Owners Club, @Sfcahr!

Maybe wait for gas to go back down and buy another Titan?
Bought it before it was even unloaded from the truck after waiting 3 months for one, wont buy another car again without. Test driving it, ugghh

·
Registered
420 Posts
My RL also pulls to the right, steering wheel doesn't look on center....was going to bring it to the dealer but of course I have aftermarket wheels/tires, so I'm sure they will blame that, which could be true I guess.

I may just break down and bring it to a local alignment shop...I'm waiting to see if the snow tires also pull right, I cant remember.

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
108 Posts
The 2017 had multiple allignments, tires swapped right to left etc, new michellins, and always drifted right, even when you drove in opposite oncoming lane tipped to the left. I got sick of it and traded for a titan.
Gas went up 50% and i went back to a 21 ridgeline.

it has the exact same problem and efforts to mitigate have been simillarly unsuccessful.

any gurus out there have any advice?
I’m interested in this one… My previous truck (2007 Tacoma) pulled to one side. It was most annoying on long drives.

My question is, does the Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) keep it straight? If so, is the steering wheel clocked towards the left (as if it has to adjust for the pull too)?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've never read a post on hear about anyone else having this issue, let alone twice, unless it was an alignment/tire issue (which will happen on any vehicle), which you said you've looked into.

You don't mention bringing it back to the dealer to have them address this issue, not sure about your state but in NJ after (I think it's 3 times) trying to fix the same issue if they can't fix it, it's a lemon and you get your money back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive done all the above factory alligned w steering wheel crooked and pulling hard to riht, 3 days after buying dealer did allignment and steering wheel still crooked and still pulls.
went to a REAL allignment front end guru who tried to help me on last one, and he straightened the steering wheel and reduced pull by about 75%, just like the last one, but it still drives right.
all the tire swapping left and riht didnt fix.
went and actually got new michellins like I had on other one. Drives much nicer but still pulls.
alligment guy says since there is only a tow in out adjustment no caster or camber, he cant correct the behavior any better. Cant stand having to accept this after dropping 45k!

I've never read a post on hear about anyone else having this issue, let alone twice, unless it was an alignment/tire issue (which will happen on any vehicle), which you said you've looked into.

You don't mention bringing it back to the dealer to have them address this issue, not sure about your state but in NJ after (I think it's 3 times) trying to fix the same issue if they can't fix it, it's a lemon and you get your money back.
Had dealer try once then took to myguy who tries harder to fix what dealer cookie cutter guys cant

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I apologize, but the circumstances that are being described here has got me to wondering, where I am thinking that any alignment shop worth their salt would have come up with what the problem actually is, whether there is an adjustment for it or not?

Bill

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl, "The Blue Pearl"
315 Posts
Something doesn't sound right here...but I'll play along too.

You had a 2017 that you got rid of and then joined the forum in 2019. And no posts, not even replys until now?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Something doesn't sound right here...but I'll play along too.

You had a 2017 that you got rid of and then joined the forum in 2019. And no posts, not even replys until now?
not sure what joining in 2019 on a ridgeline I kept til 2020 has to do with anything. Ive shared the back story here of two ridgelines with the identical fault. That is all.
fool me once shame on honda fool me twice shame on me i guess.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
So far, it appears that with what you have shared with us so far is that in over a four year period, and two vehicles, neither your Honda dealer, nor your alignment shop, has been able to identify any problems with your Ridgelines? A problem which appears to be unique to your vehicles? You keep blaming Honda but as of yet you have yet to provide us with any evidence showing us where Honda is at fault?

Bill

·
Registered
2021 Canadian Ridgeline Sport
127 Posts
We are sorry that the OP has not been able to solve the pulling problem on two Ridgelines. My personal experience with a single 2021 Ridgeline is that it does not pull significantly to the right or left, regardless of the crown on the road. This is true with both the original Firestone tires and a new set of Pirelli snow tires.

Note that the RL has IRS, so it's possible for the rear end to be out of alignment. I don't know what adjustable components, if any, that the RL may have to correct a rear misalignment. A good alignment shop (and, presumably, the dealer) should have checked this.

As someone else suggested, one or more dragging brake calipers could also create a problem. A shop would have also checked for this (one hopes).

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,443 Posts
My 2008 seems to be tire sensitive. I've had balance issues that were only resolved by replacing the new Michelins I bought with another new set of Michelins. This after about 5000 miles of driving them and bringing it back to Discount Tire for balance issues multiple times in that time frame. DT did resolve it with the new tires, so kudos to DT.

At one point I tried some Michelin AT tires, but they also had balance issues, so I went back to the OEM style.

I've also had pulling issues that weren't resolved by multiple alignments either. But that self resolved over time. I have no idea what caused it or fixed it. At one point I was taking videos of the pull (it was actually more of a drift) so I could show the shop. And they would drive it and agree about the pull, but never seemed able to resolve it until it somehow fixed itself.. 🤷‍♂️

As regards a dragging brake, a quick (but cautious) hand check of the wheels after driving for a bit would reveal any temperature differences that might be caused by a dragging brake. Or better yet, use an IR gun.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Jumping into the discussion a little late, sorry to jump in with an obvious question if this has been covered already and I missed it.
I've been fortunate that I haven't had a vehicle that pulled to one side or had a crooked steering wheel except ones that were in an accident. When I did have a problem with a vehicle that pulled, the first question the alignment shop asked me is 'Does it pull right when you are in the left-hand lane of a 4-lane highway?'
The reason they ask this question is that roads are built with a slight peak in the middle and slope downward towards the shoulders so rain will drain off the road. We drive on the right-hand side, so we are always driving on a road that slopes to the right. But, get in the left lane of a 4-lane highway and the road slopes to the left.
If it still pulls to the right while in the left-hand lane, and the alignment is correct, then my money is on a brake draging.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Yes the OP answered that question in his opening post. If it is a brake dragging enough to cause pull, then that would mean that in a very short period of time the OP would have one very hot brake, which I would think would make itself quite obvious?

I apologize for this very personal question, but how much does the OP weigh?

Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jumping into the discussion a little late, sorry to jump in with an obvious question if this has been covered already and I missed it.
I've been fortunate that I haven't had a vehicle that pulled to one side or had a crooked steering wheel except ones that were in an accident. When I did have a problem with a vehicle that pulled, the first question the alignment shop asked me is 'Does it pull right when you are in the left-hand lane of a 4-lane highway?'
The reason they ask this question is that roads are built with a slight peak in the middle and slope downward towards the shoulders so rain will drain off the road. We drive on the right-hand side, so we are always driving on a road that slopes to the right. But, get in the left lane of a 4-lane highway and the road slopes to the left.
If it still pulls to the right while in the left-hand lane, and the alignment is correct, then my money is on a brake draging.
If i drive in oncoming left lane it will come back to the right!

Yes the OP answered that question in his opening post. If it is a brake dragging enough to cause pull, then that would mean that in a very short period of time the OP would have one very hot brake, which I would think would make itself quite obvious?

I apologize for this very personal question, but how much does the OP weigh?

Bill

1 - 20 of 31 Posts