Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2011 RTL
171 Posts
Have your dealer disconnect the mdps and see if the pull is still there. Have they reset the steering angle sensor? Why are you taking a 21 to an IRF and potentially having warranty claim issues because someone else touched it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Have your dealer disconnect the mdps and see if the pull is still there. Have they reset the steering angle sensor? Why are you taking a 21 to an IRF and potentially having warranty claim issues because someone else touched it?
Last experience with 17 had 3 attempts by a dealer who ulimately said we dont feel anything and blew me off, that got me to have to find a independent shop cause of their treatment of it.
curious, what is mdps?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ive done all the above factory alligned w steering wheel crooked and pulling hard to riht, 3 days after buying dealer did allignment and steering wheel still crooked and still pulls.
went to a REAL allignment front end guru who tried to help me on last one, and he straightened the steering wheel and reduced pull by about 75%, just like the last one, but it still drives right.
all the tire swapping left and riht didnt fix.
went and actually got new michellins like I had on other one. Drives much nicer but still pulls.
alligment guy says since there is only a tow in out adjustment no caster or camber, he cant correct the behavior any better. Cant stand having to accept this after dropping 45k!

Had dealer try once then took to myguy who tries harder to fix what dealer cookie cutter guys cant
Sounds like your truck is bent. Maybe all the tires align but suspension may be off or frame bent. Sometimes they get damadged by transporter, either truck or rail. Sometimes both.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Sounds like your truck is bent. Maybe all the tires align but suspension may be off or frame bent. Sometimes they get damadged by transporter, either truck or rail. Sometimes both.
We can all sit here in front of the computer and dream up all sorts of problematic scenarios, but the main problem here is that a qualified alignment shop should have already picked up on any of these during their inspection?

Bill

·
Registered
2011 RTL
171 Posts
MDPS = motor driven power steering. The steering is electric and uses an electric motor to provide both feel and assist to the steering. Just got done with a 6 month case with another brand that involved field techs and engineers. Non lane keep assist car pulling to the right. Adjusted frame, multiple alignments, replaced struts, recalibrate, different camber bolts you name it. Finally drove with mdps disconnected and while steering wheel was off, car tracked straight. There wasn't a separate call out for the mdps unit so we put a whole new column in and voila. Referenced that case to the same issue on same model and that fixed it as well.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Oops, maybe I just may have to possibly retract what I just said in a previous post? We have a Polaris SlingShot in which the first models had an issue with the electric power steering, where that issue was actually resolved by Polaris reprogramming the ECU?

So, is the steering assembly unique to the Ridgeline?

Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 2017 had multiple allignments, tires swapped right to left etc, new michellins, and always drifted right, even when you drove in opposite oncoming lane tipped to the left. I got sick of it and traded for a titan.
Gas went up 50% and i went back to a 21 ridgeline.

it has the exact same problem and efforts to mitigate have been simillarly unsuccessful.

any gurus out there have any advice?
I would take it to a different alignment shop. I saw further down in the thread that you ordered one and got it right off of the truck. We had a similar issue with our 2018 F-150 when we first got it and an alignment at the Ford dealer fixed it. If you haven't already, take it to the Honda dealer you got it from and tell them to fix it since you're still under warranty. Tell them everything in this thread and explain to them your situation and they should get that fixed.

·
Registered
2011 RTL
171 Posts
Electric steering is not unique but I am not familiar with the specifics of the 2nd gen exact design. Any dealer should be able to fix this. Definitely start a case with consumer affairs and set it up to bring it in. That way, corporate will push for a resolution from their end as well.

·
Administrator
20,357 Posts
Electric steering is not unique but I am not familiar with the specifics of the 2nd gen exact design.
The 2G Ridgeline uses an electric motor mounted on the steering column under the dash as opposed to an electric motor mounted on the steering rack. The Ridgeline's design doesn't allow for as direct of a steering feel as rack-mounted designs, but that's intentional since the Ridgeline prioritizes comfort over handling feel.

·
Registered
2011 RTL
171 Posts
Ok, that's what I am familiar with. Ask your dealership to open a techline case or whatever honda calls it since it's multiple concern on same vehicle. Ride with them to demonstrate the pull. Most dealer techs have a known, defined route they drive and if there is a crown to that road, they will attribute it to that. I had to drive down the interstate to fully duplicate the pull that was driving us nuts, multiple trips as well as multiple cars of the same year model. Your average dealer tech cannot afford a new Ridgeline and is therefore no where as near familiar with how it normally drives as you are.

·
Registered
2011 RTL
171 Posts
Also, did both have lane keep assist or whatever Honda calls it? Can you deactivate that and drive it? I can tell you that on the Kia's it does bias to the right for 2 lane safety

21 - 31 of 31 Posts