Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded my '12 RTS for a Ram 1500 diesel in '16. I traded that off a couple years ago during the FCA 1500 diesel debacle for a Grand Cherokee. I was just starting to think about getting another truck next year, a new 1500 Ram hemi or maybe a new Ridgeline. As I was driving to look at the Ridgelines for the first time this morning, my Jeep's out-of-warranty touch screen radio started acting up - twice. I didn't need any more of a sign and bought an obsidian '19 RTL-T. My wife's '13 Fit, with 19k miles, has a big brother again.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I traded my '12 RTS for a Ram 1500 diesel in '16. I traded that off a couple years ago during the FCA 1500 diesel debacle for a Grand Cherokee. I was just starting to think about getting another truck next year, a new 1500 Ram hemi or maybe a new Ridgeline. As I was driving to look at the Ridgelines for the first time this morning, my Jeep's out-of-warranty touch screen radio started acting up - twice. I didn't need any more of a sign and bought an obsidian '19 RTL-T. My wife's '13 Fit, with 19k miles, has a big brother again.

View attachment 395927
Nice! I'm considering RTL....same color combo as yours.

My current truck is a worn but trusty 2007 Ridgeline, so there's some apprehension about the more car-like G2, but think I'm "getting there". It's been a few years since you had the RTS, but do you like the new RTL-T more/less/about the same as the G1 truck?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice! I'm considering RTL....same color combo as yours.

My current truck is a worn but trusty 2007 Ridgeline, so there's some apprehension about the more car-like G2, but think I'm "getting there". It's been a few years since you had the RTS, but do you like the new RTL-T more/less/about the same as the G1 truck?
Good question. It's only been a week, with four 85 mile days to work and back. My thoughts:

The ride is softer than my Grand Cherokee. It wallows at times, but I've gotten used to it. No issues taking freeway ramps at a good clip and feeling totally in control.

Good engine power. I don't use eco mode. Wish it had a sport mode like my Jeep did for around town. I haven't missed the two exta gears the Jeep had. My first tank was 23.1 MPG per fuelly. Very quiet exhaust note. That's one of the things I miss by not buying a Ram.

Apple Car Play works as I expected. I have to play with the audio settings some more, as music and calls sound rather tinny. AM radio reception is rather weak.

I didn't know if I'd like the leather compared to the RTS cloth (or the cloth in the Jeep), but I'm happy so far. Not sweaty hot, even with a couple warm days this week. Comfort and support is excellent. The little armrests have to be stowed to latch the seatbelt, but that is a minor complaint. Having them adjustable is nice.

The interior layout is an improvement over the G1. I always banged my knee on the oversize headlight switch, which is now moved to the left steering column stalk. Instrument display is rather basic, but I don't really need anything more. The push button start is a bit further to the right than I would expect, but no problem. This one has a sunroof, which I've only opened to test it. I'm not feeling cramped for headroom. I like having the opening center rear window again. Backup camera is a welcome addition, but I haven't gotten used to using the sideview camera when turning right or changing lanes. The garage door opener seems weak when pointed away from the garage. (I back in and drive straight out. It only works right after leaving the garage when headed in that direction. It works from up the street when driving toward the garage.)

The capless fuel filler is a nice-to-have.

The bed, trunk, and tailgate are essentially unchanged and I really like that.

As for styling, I like the body-bed transition in the G2 better, but not crazy about the frone end styling. All the doors close with the sound of a high end sedan.

I rearranged the garage today, swapping sides with my wife's Fit so it's more tailgate friendly when unloading.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Good question. It's only been a week, with four 85 mile days to work and back. My thoughts:

The ride is softer than my Grand Cherokee. It wallows at times, but I've gotten used to it. No issues taking freeway ramps at a good clip and feeling totally in control.

Good engine power. I don't use eco mode. Wish it had a sport mode like my Jeep did for around town. I haven't missed the two exta gears the Jeep had. My first tank was 23.1 MPG per fuelly. Very quiet exhaust note. That's one of the things I miss by not buying a Ram.

Apple Car Play works as I expected. I have to play with the audio settings some more, as music and calls sound rather tinny. AM radio reception is rather weak.

I didn't know if I'd like the leather compared to the RTS cloth (or the cloth in the Jeep), but I'm happy so far. Not sweaty hot, even with a couple warm days this week. Comfort and support is excellent. The little armrests have to be stowed to latch the seatbelt, but that is a minor complaint. Having them adjustable is nice.

The interior layout is an improvement over the G1. I always banged my knee on the oversize headlight switch, which is now moved to the left steering column stalk. Instrument display is rather basic, but I don't really need anything more. The push button start is a bit further to the right than I would expect, but no problem. This one has a sunroof, which I've only opened to test it. I'm not feeling cramped for headroom. I like having the opening center rear window again. Backup camera is a welcome addition, but I haven't gotten used to using the sideview camera when turning right or changing lanes. The garage door opener seems weak when pointed away from the garage. (I back in and drive straight out. It only works right after leaving the garage when headed in that direction. It works from up the street when driving toward the garage.)

The capless fuel filler is a nice-to-have.

The bed, trunk, and tailgate are essentially unchanged and I really like that.

As for styling, I like the body-bed transition in the G2 better, but not crazy about the frone end styling. All the doors close with the sound of a high end sedan.

I rearranged the garage today, swapping sides with my wife's Fit so it's more tailgate friendly when unloading.

View attachment 396070
Great feedback on the G2 - thanks!

You DO like that blue, lol. Also you like the same orange as me - I have a Kubota BX too.

On the front end, I don't like the looks of it much, but as we were test driving my wife noted that it "doesn't feel as big as our truck", and I realized then that the sloped-down nose of the G2 results better view of ground in front of the truck vs. the big square doghouse on the G1. For us that's important, because she hesitates to drive our truck now, but think she'll be more inclined to run errands, etc., in the new model, assuming we go forward with it.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
A couple of comments on your post:

1. Do you run LED light bulbs in the door opener ? It will reduce the range if so.
2. For more responsive shifting try D4. The button on the side. I've used it at times when I wanted to feel more "Sporty". It works.

Steve
PS like the BX. I read the TractorbyNet group and it's well liked on there too.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the door opener problem is with my opener, not the sender. My wife is also having problems getting it to close with her Liftmaster opener. Speaking of my wife, nothing has changed since the G1 - she still gets confused about the name and calls it a "Ridgemont".

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I think the door opener problem is with my opener, not the sender. My wife is also having problems getting it to close with her Liftmaster opener. Speaking of my wife, nothing has changed since the G1 - she still gets confused about the name and calls it a "Ridgemont".
Fast Times, eh?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As I suspected, it was the opener. More accurately, it was the LED bulb I put in the opener. Opening with the light off worked fine 100% of the time. Opening with the LED light on failed most of the time. I replaced the LED bulb with an incandescent bulb and it works 100% of the time with the light on from both cars. Probably some type of RF interference from the LED bulb next to the opener antenna.

·
Super Moderator
12,539 Posts
As I suspected, it was the opener. More accurately, it was the LED bulb I put in the opener. Opening with the light off worked fine 100% of the time. Opening with the LED light on failed most of the time. I replaced the LED bulb with an incandescent bulb and it works 100% of the time with the light on from both cars. Probably some type of RF interference from the LED bulb next to the opener antenna.
I bought some of garage door opener compatible LED lights to solve that problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts