Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

I'm buying a '13 RTL w/ 200k miles...

4K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  feetdry 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm considering getting a used 2013 Ridgeline RTL with about 202,000 miles. That's a ton of miles, I know... but looks like it's been pretty well taken care of. Single owner, well documented service history on carfax with regular oil changes every 7-8,000 miles or so. All service records are from the local dealer's maintenance dept. Timing belt replaced and tran/brake/rear diff fluids flushed and replaced around 166k miles. Could use an alignment but otherwise seemed to drive just fine.

I'm going to get it checked out more by a mechanic tomorrow and just wanted to ask here also: are there any common problems I should be aware of or specific things I should look out for? I'll be going to look at more thoroughly tomorrow.

Any help and input is appreciated!
Thanks everyone!?

#2 ·
I don’t have anything specific to Ridgeline, just general things. Check to see whether the shock absorbers (struts) are still good. Listen for squeaks and rattles. See how the steering feels, and how it drives in general. Sounds like that pickup has about twice as many miles as my 2013, so my guess is that it was driven on the highway a lot. That’s good. A pickup like ours driven mostly on the highway will last a very, very long time.

#3 ·
You will also need to replace the radiator so you don't have any problem with corrosion on the fitting to the transmission line. That is a common problem and is called the "SMOD." Read all about it below.

Reactions: zroger73
#4 · (Edited)
Although it's not at the age for it to be a problem, Sparkland is right, the radiator fitting will eventually rust out and fail. The only way to fix it is to replace the radiator.

Also, although not of age yet, you should have the water pump inspected. It's another maintenance item.

If you don't see records of a valve adjustment, that needs to occur every 100,000 miles. The valves get tight overtime and will affect your MPG if not adjusted.

#5 ·
Although it's not at the age for it to be a problem, Sparkland is right, the radiator fitting will eventually rust out and fail. The only way to fix it is to replace the radiator.

Also, although not of age yet, you should have the water pump inspected. It's another known problem area.

If you don't see records of a valve adjustment, that needs to occur every 100,000 miles. The valves get really tight overtime and will affect your MPG if not adjusted.
I wouldn't call the water pump a problem area. In fact, I can't recall more than one or two reports of water pump issues.
Regardless, the water pump is part of the timing belt replacement "package" and should be done at those intervals. If it wasn't actually done then I agree it should be done.

#6 ·
Moderator Note: Thread Moved

#9 ·
From the sounds of it, I would have no issue purchasing this truck if the price was right. Is it at a dealership or private party? What's the asking price?

#10 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm considering getting a used 2013 Ridgeline RTL with about 202,000 miles. That's a ton of miles, I know... but looks like it's been pretty well taken care of. Single owner, well documented service history on carfax with regular oil changes every 7-8,000 miles or so. All service records are from the local dealer's maintenance dept. Timing belt replaced and tran/brake/rear diff fluids flushed and replaced around 166k miles. Could use an alignment but otherwise seemed to drive just fine.

I'm going to get it checked out more by a mechanic tomorrow and just wanted to ask here also: are there any common problems I should be aware of or specific things I should look out for? I'll be going to look at more thoroughly tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!?
I have a new 2019 Ridgeline after putting 311000 miles on my 2008. Sold it to a friend. I think it could have gone another 100,000 miles.

#11 ·
Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone!?
I have a 2009 RL with 182,000 miles. To date have replaced both front drive shafts and the generator. All were replaced within the last 5000 miles.

#13 ·
Thanks for the input. How would I know if there's issues developing with the driveshafts? Would it just feel rough or sound like it's grinding? And regarding the generator, is that in place of the alternator? I'm assuming I'd have electrical issues or won't be able to start the engine?

#12 ·
I appreciate everyone's input!

Just gonna run down the posts and consolidate my answers below:

Struts/shocks were good, in fact, the mechanic said it was in immaculate condition. No rust. I'm in a heavy snow area, but they don't use salt on the roads here, they use some other alternatives, but it's still rare to see vehicles with zero rust just cuz surrounding bigger cities use salt. And yep, all highway miles as the previous owner travelled around the country for work, and now being retired visits his kids in all different states all the time -- that's what the car lot guy told me anyways, says he sold the RL to the original owner and knows him from before then also. Must be a small-town thing..? It's a small town so I suppose it's possible. I'm just here temporarily.

Radiator - no signs of rust, coolant looked clean.

Water pump - timing belt was replaced less than 40k miles ago at the dealer so pretty sure this must have been done if it's part of the "package"

Sorry about posting in the wrong thread! Didn't see this one initially.

I got it from a dealer lot, where they send their high mileage trade-ins. And it was one of those "haggle-free pricing" places, never been to one like that before but the price seemed right from other similar postings I saw in the states around me. I still tried to finazzle my way around the price but he said he couldn't budge. It was 11 nine 9 nine, and it had been dropped in two $500 increments over the past couple months, and he tossed in some detailing, an oil change, washes. Forgot to mention earlier, it's also got a remote start which is super nice when it gets to be 20 below!

#17 ·
I got it from a dealer lot, where they send their high mileage trade-ins. And it was one of those "haggle-free pricing" places, never been to one like that before but the price seemed right from other similar postings I saw in the states around me. I still tried to finazzle my way around the price but he said he couldn't budge. It was 11 nine 9 nine, and it had been dropped in two $500 increments over the past couple months, and he tossed in some detailing, an oil change, washes. Forgot to mention earlier, it's also got a remote start which is super nice when it gets to be 20 below!
I think that price is fair. The truck itself is only 6-7 years old, but the mileage is what typically would turn off a lot of people. There's more than a good chance that the dealership only gave $7-8k on a trade, but I think you still ended up getting a good deal. As far as the radiator, it's the fittings on the lower part of it that you're looking at for corrosion. Being that the truck is still pretty new and was obviously taken care of, you probably won't have to worry about it for at least another few years. Even then, swapping it out is a pretty easy job and not terribly expensive.

ABSOLUTELY!!! No Doubt!!! Much better than buying a second gen!!! The Canadians did a much better job putting these together than the Alabamians!!!
Only the 06-08 RL's and a small number of 09's were produced in Canada before production was moved to the Lincoln plant. So, this 2013 was built by the Alabamians. There were really only a few issues that popped up in 2009-11 or so with fit and finish while the workers were "figuring out" how these things were supposed to be screwed together and they weren't widespread.

#14 ·
Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone!?
ABSOLUTELY!!! No Doubt!!! Much better than buying a second gen!!! The Canadians did a much better job putting these together than the Alabamians!!!

#15 ·
I have an ‘06 with 186,000 miles. I’ve put the last 100,000 miles on it. Here are the major things I’ve done to it this year that you can easily check for yourself:
  • Interior headliner sagging $450
  • Rear main oil leak (oil on the ground) $900. The dealer wanted twice that, so I went to a Costco service partner with a 15% coupon. Totally worth it.
  • Rust around the left rear wheel well $3000. When the body shop got Into it, the entire rear quarter ($1500 of the total) had to be replaced. They were able to grind off rust from the inner wheel well, and weld in some braces to attach the quarter panel, instead of replacing the inner ww - which would have been a stopper. If there is any rust around the wheel well, I would pass on the truck - you just can’t tell how much is inside, and it goes fast once its visible.
In the past, I’ve had to replace the radiator, remove rattling heat shields, replace brakes and tires, replace the timing belt and water pump, etc. I consider those normal maintenance items for older, high mileage cars and trucks. But they add up if you have to buy them on top of the purchase price.

It was an easy decision for me to invest in this truck. I spent less than one year's worth of new truck payments, and my Ridgeline looks and drives like new. I own it outright, I‘ve maintained it well, and the insurance is low because of its age.

#18 ·
I have an ‘06 with 186,000 miles. I’ve put the last 100,000 miles on it. Here are the major things I’ve done to it this year that you can easily check for yourself:
  • Interior headliner sagging $450
  • Rear main oil leak (oil on the ground) $900. The dealer wanted twice that, so I went to a Costco service partner with a 15% coupon. Totally worth it.
  • Rust around the left rear wheel well $3000. When the body shop got Into it, the entire rear quarter ($1500 of the total) had to be replaced. They were able to grind off rust from the inner wheel well, and weld in some braces to attach the quarter panel, instead of replacing the inner ww - which would have been a stopper. If there is any rust around the wheel well, I would pass on the truck - you just can’t tell how much is inside, and it goes fast once its visible.
In the past, I’ve had to replace the radiator, remove rattling heat shields, replace brakes and tires, replace the timing belt and water pump, etc. I consider those normal maintenance items for older, high mileage cars and trucks. But they add up if you have to buy them on top of the purchase price.

It was an easy decision for me to invest in this truck. I spent less than one year's worth of new truck payments, and my Ridgeline looks and drives like new. I own it outright, I‘ve maintained it well, and the insurance is low because of its age.
Costco! Good tip! Would not have thought of that.

#16 ·
I bought my 06' with 69,000 for $12999.00 When I saw the AD I couldn't get there fast enough because I'd been wanting one of these. Makes sense for me ..I don't want a fullsize truck I just need to haul stuff once in a while, prefer 4 doors without making it so big you have to think about where to park LOL.
I had been looking for a mid-size truck but guess what all the mid-size have grown-up and are not mid-size anymore... Only Nissan makes a smaller truck.
I'm also getting ready for the 75,000 drain and lube..and the 100,000 maint. But I want this truck to take me into retirement :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.