Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone posted definitive evidence of the impact that a truck bed cap (Leer, A.R.E.) has on fuel mileage? I found some threads that mention it, but none offered a solid report of empirical measurements (that I could find).
I expect it is a trade-off between added weight (confirmed) and improved aerodynamics (possible, but not a given).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did a search on Google. Many hits suggested that a cap has a) little or no impact on fuel consumption or b) it doesn't matter....if you need one, you need one...so drop the subject.
I did find this seemingly objective test. It suggests up to 10% improvement. But the conclusion as reported is sufficiently non-specific that it raises suspicion. Especially given it was conducted by the cap manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
With 195,000 miles tracking with Fuelly, on my RTL with a Leer cap and carrying about 800 pounds around for all those miles you can see what my mpg is. Fuelly says the average for a 2008 Ridgeline is 17 mpg. You can see mine is "way" off.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I did a search on Google. Many hits suggested that a cap has a) little or no impact on fuel consumption or b) it doesn't matter....if you need one, you need one...so drop the subject.
I did find this seemingly objective test. It suggests up to 10% improvement. But the conclusion as reported is sufficiently non-specific that it raises suspicion. Especially given it was conducted by the cap manufacturer.
all that build up and then no details...because the truck caps probably got the same MPG or slightly less mpg and the tonneau covers got 10% better mpg and they didn' want to have to point out that the caps are not beneficial to mpg.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Some time ago I read a report that tests conducted by truck manufacturers result in decreased mpg when a tonneau or cap is added. The aerodynamics of the air flow off of the cab creates a dead area in the box with the tailgate up that causes air to flow from the top of the cab over the top of the tailgate. A tonneau disrupts that aero effect.

I will see if I can find the article. There is probably truth to the report results because if there were an increase in mpg with a tonneau, manufacturers would add them in the standard trucks they sell to benefit CAFE.

·
Registered
29 Posts
MPG? What's that? I fill up every 3 months whether I need it or not. (Ain't retirement grand?)
Personally, I like the 'naked' look, and even better, the crazy 'dancing leaves tornado' back there that seems to sustain itself for miles and miles and miles on the highway.
Kind of reminds me of the dust devil around that Peanuts (Charile Brown?) character...
Only a fall option, sadly. Every year I plan on getting video of it, but still haven't. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience in driving the G2 a large number of miles with a tonneau cover, a cap, and without either, that there is no significant change in fuel mileage either way. If you are buying any sort of bed cover with the purpose of better fuel economy, you are wasting your money.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
My tonneau cover improved my smiles per gallon! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts