Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really never liked the look of the Honda Nav in the RL and most of the time I leave the display set to audio because of the terrible screen. Honda really ruined the head unit with such a amateur display with HUGE bulky borders that offer no value and consume 20% of the display.

When zooming in the bulking borders are replaced with a nice clean map. (images below)

Is there any way to disable the bulky borders? It makes the Nav screen look like an "Etch a Sketch"

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Improving "Etch a Sketch" look of Nav display

You really need to customize your display. First, get rid of that 2D view and go to 3D. Instructions in the your Navi owners manual (screen shot below). It will look a lot better visually....

Then play with the other settings: color, scale, the POI's that are displayed, info parameters displayed, brightness, zoom level, etc. Aesthetics are personal taste, but my Ridgeline's are fine with me.

That being said, on my 2011 Accord EX-L Navi Coupe (that I traded in for my Ridgeline) - I liked its old school 2D maps because of their land usage colorizations & textures & details (green forests & parks, brown shopping areas, light blue hospital campuses, dark blue lakes & rivers, all hiking trails and creeks displayed, etc), nice fonts, etc. I'd set it on 1/2 mile scale, and enjoyed watching its beautiful maps as I drove across Wisconsin on cold snowy winter nights. It also let you pick a Navi interface color theme (I picked blue to match my Belieze Blue car color). Its 2D aesthetics were much better than the Ridgeline's, though no 3D.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1481002485.431211.jpg

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm OK with the 2D display.

It's the borders which consume 20℅ of the available screen realestate that make the Honda nav look amateurish.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Have you tried using Apple Car Play or Android Auto (depending on which type of phone you use)? I use my Google Maps from my Android Auto as my default over the car's built-in GPS. Plus the voice recognition is much more reliable and faster using Google than the vehicle's VR setup.

Just my .02 worth. :)

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
I'm OK with the 2D display.

It's the borders which consume 20℅ of the available screen realestate that make the Honda nav look amateurish.

OK, I see what you mean. I wonder if those can be shut off I'm Navi settings? I haven't had time to check that deep

·
Premium Member
454 Posts

Have you tried using Apple Car Play or Android Auto..... ?

I've wondered about that .... (I have a RTL-E and iPhone, but haven't had time to try Apple CarPlay). When you use them, does it preserve your OEM Navi integration features? (eg: displaying your Android's navi app's map onto your Ridgeline's touch screen, give the voice directions over your Ridgeline's audio system, but also mute those Navi voice directions when you get a Bluetooth phone call, and also mute your audio system radio/XM/etc when Navi is giving voice directions, etc)

That integration is the real value of having OEM Navi. There are many threads on car forums about "why buy an OEM's expensive Navi option, when I already have it on my smartphone... ".

The answer is the above integration. Having done the smartphone thing on a non-Navi car for years (wrestling with phone brackets and USB power cords, not having the above integration, etc), I've come to a point in life where I'm willing to pay for it. If Apple Car Play and Android Auto do that, then that's real value

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: Improving "Etch a Sketch" look of Nav display

Use Android Auto on my daily commute and weekend trips, better display and much more accurate traffic/navigation and totally integrated, :)))

·
Registered
741 Posts

I've wondered about that .... (I have a RTL-E and iPhone, but haven't had time to try Apple CarPlay). When you use them, does it preserve your OEM Navi integration features? (eg: displaying your Android's navi app's map onto your Ridgeline's touch screen, give the voice directions over your Ridgeline's audio system, but also mute those Navi voice directions when you get a Bluetooth phone call, and also mute your audio system radio/XM/etc when Navi is giving voice directions, etc)

That integration is the real value of having OEM Navi. There are many threads on car forums about "why buy an OEM's expensive Navi option, when I already have it on my smartphone... ".

The answer is the above integration. Having done the smartphone thing on a non-Navi car for years (wrestling with phone brackets and USB power cords, not having the above integration, etc), I've come to a point in life where I'm willing to pay for it. If Apple Car Play and Android Auto do that, then that's real value
OK... so I don't have an iPhone, but it should work the same as Android Auto. When you connect your iPhone via USB to your car (use the port in front of the shifter that's next to the 12V (old cigarette lighter port). Once you do, your infotainment unit should automatically go into Car Play mode (or you can choose it from the "Source" screen where you would choose AM, FM, SXM, BT, etc... You should see large icons that look like iPhone icons. One should be "Maps." When you open it up, by clicking on it, you should see what looks like a replication of Maps on your head unit that you would've seen on your phone. From there it should look very familiar to you.

While you are in Car Play mode, your Voice Recognition button (lower left on your steering wheel and below your answer/hang up buttons), you will be able to access Siri voice functions. (Hint: if it's anything like Android, you'll have to hold it down for a good 1-2 seconds to activate it... if you only do a quick press, you'll activate the car's organic VR program... which sucks in my opinion.)

You'll have to play with it and see how much you like it and to get it to work the way you want it to, but it is 100000 times better than the stock GPS/Nav setup. Heck, my wife's 2017 Accord Coupe doesn't have GPS/Nav, but the infotainment system they use in the non-Nav cars (EX) are Android Auto/Apple Car Play ready and it gives us GPS in her car! I wish that is what I had in my RTL-T... because I NEVER use my "built-in" GPS. Plus, I never have to worry about map updates or ever being in an area using an old map, since Google updates constantly. :)

Check this video out to get more info on it... this video was used on a 2016 Civic EX and is a tutorial on Car Play. It should be VERY similar to your setup in your RL. good luck!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAoP1mfjp5o

·
Registered
741 Posts

Here's another good video... even shows Apple Maps via Car Play (3:00 mark).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEaC8zWHD5k

·
Premium Member
454 Posts

NOVARIDGE, thanks for the info! I need to spend another long afternoon in my RTL-E on the driveway, to finish experimenting with all its tech features (that go beyond "read the owners manual"). I'll have to grab a brew(s) and listen to tunes while doing so (with ignition shut off, of course ?).

My neighbor bought a Ford F150 King Ranch. He told me he learned all the trucks mechanical features in 30 minutes, but is still learning its technology (like the RTL-E's). And he's an IT Director for a top investment bank

Reactions: NOVARIDGE

·
Registered
741 Posts

NOVARIDGE, thanks for the info! I need to spend another long afternoon in my RTL-E on the driveway, to finish experimenting with all its tech features (that go beyond "read the owners manual"). I'll have to grab a brew(s) and listen to tunes while doing so (with ignition shut off, of course ?).

My neighbor bought a Ford F150 King Ranch. He told me he learned all the trucks mechanical features in 30 minutes, but is still learning its technology (like the RTL-E's). And he's an IT Director for a top investment bank
No Problem! Glad to help! Good luck.

:grin:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the clean nav display on my four year old car... Honda should do better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can concur, I mostly use android auto for Nav(Garmin included nav maps are at least 2 years behind around my area) and for my Google Music integration. They are supposed to be releasing Waze for android auto. Not sure of the time, but is a pretty neat app with the addition of people adding police and road information almost instantly.

Really wish there was an option to have android auto with out the Nav in RL to save some dollars, but I have to say I am pleased with it thus far.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Can concur, I mostly use android auto for Nav(Garmin included nav maps are at least 2 years behind around my area) and for my Google Music integration. They are supposed to be releasing Waze for android auto. Not sure of the time, but is a pretty neat app with the addition of people adding police and road information almost instantly.

Really wish there was an option to have android auto with out the Nav in RL to save some dollars, but I have to say I am pleased with it thus far.
You know that Google Maps integrates Waze reports, now, right? I've never been a huge fan of Waze, personally. I find it about as distracting to drivers as texting... heck, I often wonder how many of the accidents reported by Waze were caused by people reporting an accident on Waze?!?! LOL!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
You know that Google Maps integrates Waze reports, now, right? I've never been a huge fan of Waze, personally. I find it about as distracting to drivers as texting... heck, I often wonder how many of the accidents reported by Waze were caused by people reporting an accident on Waze?!?! LOL!!!
I agree with that and yeah since Google owns Waze they take some of the road alerts, but I imagine they have an approval process for them. I know that some people swear by Waze, me personally never have habitually used it as I use google voice instead of typing in the phone for directions. Also, after doing some more reading there was a credible source quoted on the Waze forum saying Q1 2017.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I agree with that and yeah since Google owns Waze they take some of the road alerts, but I imagine they have an approval process for them. I know that some people swear by Waze, me personally never have habitually used it as I use google voice instead of typing in the phone for directions. Also, after doing some more reading there was a credible source quoted on the Waze forum saying Q1 2017.
I just question the usefulness/utility of going back and forth between Google Maps and Waze w/in Android Auto. I guess if you want the cartoonish look that Waze has, then that's the App most will run with. Personally, I like the clean look of Google Maps and the traffic integration. So much cleaner and easier to "navigate" thru than the stock GPS (Garmin??) is.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just question the usefulness/utility of going back and forth between Google Maps and Waze w/in Android Auto. I guess if you want the cartoonish look that Waze has, then that's the App most will run with. Personally, I like the clean look of Google Maps and the traffic integration. So much cleaner and easier to "navigate" thru than the stock GPS (Garmin??) is.
No doubt it's Garmin. The look, features and operation is, for all practical purposes, the same as my motorcycle Zumo 390LM.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Think it would work similar to how the music apps work when you tap on the nav aero it would ask what app, and then start voice search from in the app. I would assume the the " How do I get to XXX" would still function from google maps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts