Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Random question. Has anyone measured the temp of their Ridgeline trunk bed? I am curious how it compares to a car trunk.

My wife and I took my truck grocery shopping today and she refused to put the milk in the trunk bed. I was arguing that she puts it in her accord with no issues. (15 minute ride home) If I had a temp gauge I'd check it out myself. Just curious if anyone has checked.

·
Super Moderator
12,315 Posts
You'll find that the Ridgeline's bed gets considerably hotter than a car trunk in hot, sunny weather for a number of reasons:

1. The Ridgeline's trunk lid is a flat, dark gray which is a very effective color for absorbing infrared heat radiation from the sun.

2. In most cars, air flows into the cabin through the HVAC system then into the trunk before exiting the vehicle. This allows some conditioned air into the trunk.

3. Car trunks are lined with sound/heat insulation and carpet. The Ridgeline's trunk is not insulated in any way.

4. Heat from the Ridgeline's muffler transfers into the trunk more easily since it is uninsulated.

·
Registered
437 Posts
You'll find that the Ridgeline's bed gets considerably hotter than a car trunk in hot, sunny weather for a number of reasons:

1. The Ridgeline's trunk lid is a flat, dark gray which is a very effective color for absorbing infrared heat radiation from the sun.

2. In most cars, air flows into the cabin through the HVAC system then into the trunk before exiting the vehicle. This allows some conditioned air into the trunk.

3. Car trunks are lined with sound/heat insulation and carpet. The Ridgeline's trunk is not insulated in any way.

4. Heat from the Ridgeline's muffler transfers into the trunk more easily since it is uninsulated.
What Rodger said^^^ i carry a small folding cooler to but milk and the important stuff (BEER) in to keep it cold in the trunk folded up on the donut spare--Donuts and beer --dosent get any better than that--I's not just for breakfast anymore:act030:

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I use an insulated cooler bag to bring home dairy & meat dept. Even in the Civic, since Austin is hot and the traffic is slow.

Chip H.

·
Super Moderator
22,568 Posts
I put my perishables in the trunk and don't give it a 2nd thought. Perhaps ignorance is bliss. ;)

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
7-7-13, 2:42 Pm. Outside air temperature 91 F. Outside top of trunk temperature, 162 f
In direct sunlight. Inside trunk temperature 101 F.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
That was taken 15 minutes after we got home. We drove 18 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ambient temperatures inside trunk

Does anyone know of data for the ambient temperatures comparison inside the trunk for various outside temperatures and driving conditions (city/highway/other)? I really like the storage but just wondered what I am subjecting the stored items to, especially if it is food or other temperature sensitive products. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Re: Ambient temperatures inside trunk

I have a BakFlip tonneau cover on my G2 which shields the trunk lid from sunlight so my trunk temperatures seem to be close to the ambient temperature. I would imagine that having the trunk lid exposed to sunlight would raise the temperature in the trunk above ambient temps.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts

Does anyone know of data for the ambient temperatures comparison inside the trunk for various outside temperatures and driving conditions (city/highway/other)? I really like the storage but just wondered what I am subjecting the stored items to, especially if it is food or other temperature sensitive products. Thanks.
If you have something that is temp sensitive, many coolers will fit in this space to insulate what you need. One of my Yeti coolers fit perfectly. I keep my camera gear in the Yeti when on trips.

·
Super Moderator
12,315 Posts

Moderator's note: Multiple threads merged.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
...4. Heat from the Ridgeline's muffler transfers into the trunk more easily since it is uninsulated.
Opposite question would be how warm the trunk stays when ambient air temps drop below freezing. Could the warming effect from muffler help keep things from freezing? Obviously, this will depend on how cold it is outside and how long the drive is.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I usually toss my groceries or takeout in the truck bed, usually looping the handle over the top corner tie down hook. If outside temperature is in the 90s, I would probably use an insulated bag - ie rubio's promo bag. Its one really convenient thing about having a truck bed.

P.S. made the mistake of putting a pyrex caserole in the truckbed without securing it down. Boy does glass slide over the composite bed :p Fortunately I pulled over before it hit one of the bottom tie down hooks and shatter.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I noticed excessive heat in my trunk last summer. Turns out my heat shield fell off from rust. The plastic that holds the nut/washer broke in the trunk. Any one ever fix this. I'll upload pics later. I live in the salt belt. I noticed the new Ridge does not have a heat shield.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts