Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Disappointing in trunk cooler...

I normally keep all my tools in the trunk, but I got a call from my daughter and she wanted us to bring the drinks to the family picnic 2 hours away. Since I didn't have a cooler big enough I thought I would try the Ridgeline. The outside temperature was 70. I put two 10lb bags of ice in the trunk and hit the road. When I arrived all the ice had melted.

The trunk is not insulated, so I should have put a lot more ice in it, but 2 hours at 70 I didn't expect it to all melt!

If Honda is going to advertise it as a cooler it should have some insulation.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Re: Disappointing in trunk cooler...

If it was sunny, I suspect the temperature inside the trunk was a couple degrees warmer. You already stated the solution. I'd chalk it up to a learning experience and you'll be the cool hero next time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have several Yetti coolers and the proper way is to pre-chill the cooler before use. In other words the first ice you add is sacrificial. When I go wilderness canoeing I add the ice to the cooler the night before and the next day I replace with fresh cold ice. 20 pounds is not much ice for as big as the trunk is and probably barely covered the floor. Might consider using a divider in the trunk to keep the ice clustered together as it depends on the companion ice cubes to keep it from melting. Block ice also lasts much longer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would only put something like milk in the trunk October - March (Ohio).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wondered how hot it gets in the trunk since it could be a good place to store groceries or valuables like a laptop and asked soon after buying a G2 and joining this forum. No one knew so I've conducted some tests in a few scenarios and came to the following conclusions:
-Average of 11.4 degrees warmer parked on concrete in sun with 91 degree F ambient temp over course of an hour.
-Average of 8 degrees warmer traveling mostly at highway speeds with 75-90 deg F ambient temps.
-Average of 9 degrees warmer traveling mostly at highway speeds with 14-31 deg F ambient temps.
I expected it would be much hotter with the black bedliner and being surrounded with exhaust components.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Good info, also, the trunk stays a whole lot cooler than the bed with a tonneau cover! https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/bed-temperature-under-tonneau.219516/#post-3080040

We have previously related about having issues with opening the tailgate relating to installing the OEM lock, a tonneau cover, in association with high OAT with the vehicle sitting in the sun. Today I became curious about just how hot does it get under that cover so I endeavored to find out and here are the results:

OAT: 96 degrees F
Bed Temperature: 136 degrees F
Trunk temperature: 105 degrees F

Bill

·
Registered
183 Posts
I wondered how hot it gets in the trunk since it could be a good place to store groceries or valuables like a laptop and asked soon after buying a G2 and joining this forum. No one knew so I've conducted some tests in a few scenarios and came to the following conclusions:
-Average of 11.4 degrees warmer parked on concrete in sun with 91 degree F ambient temp over course of an hour.
-Average of 8 degrees warmer traveling mostly at highway speeds with 75-90 deg F ambient temps.
-Average of 9 degrees warmer traveling mostly at highway speeds with 14-31 deg F ambient temps.
I expected it would be much hotter with the black bedliner and being surrounded with exhaust components.
When you say the in-bed trunk was "warmer" do you mean warmer than ambient temp? Or warmer than open bed or with a tonneau?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts