Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the in-bed trunk that is lockable and waterproof. To me, that is a truly innovative idea for a pick-up truck. Also the dual action tail gate (flip down AND swing out) is pretty cool. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
The in bed trunk is practical, tons of room in there for beer, and a drain plug for when the ice melts... Lockable too, you can store tools and stuff in there.

Another cool feature is a bracket to mount the tire on the side (inside) of the bed so that you can still access it if your bed is full of gravel or something.

·
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the above picture the spare tire does not look to be full sized. Is there anywhere that says if you can fit a full sized spare in that compartment?

·
Registered
28 Posts
It says in Honda's literature that you can put a full sized spare in the "in bed trunk" but it doesn't mention that it would fit right into the current spare location, checked it out again today, doesn't look like it would fit.

·
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spare tire

Thanks for the reply and the information. That is not really that big a deal for me. It is definitely not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's my impression that a full size spare would fit right where the picture shows. Why would they mention it otherwise?

·
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I watched a video last PM from one of the design guys for the Ridgeline (link escapes me now) and he mentions in the video that a full sized spare will fit into this well area. However, the included jack assembly will NOT and will need to be stored somewhere else.

Here is a url for the website Temple of VTec that takes you to the post where there is a link to watch or download the video.

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=319495

·
Registered
21 Posts
In-bed trunk, okay idea. What about gravel or dirt getting stuck in the seam? I'd rather see side access to the trunk, so you can get to it even with a load in the bed.

In-bed spare tire: most stupid idea ever!! So now you'll have to unload whatever you are hauling to get to the spare! Oh, you can mount it in the bed when you are hauling? That means you have to move the thing around, especially when you plan to get a flat. And you also lose bed space to the spare tire. What is Honda thinking?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Interesting objections, MountainBiker. They're well thought out. Let's see if we can work though them:

>>In-bed trunk, okay idea. What about gravel or dirt getting stuck in the seam? I'd rather see side access to the trunk, so you can get to it even with a load in the bed.

Not having seen the truck in person, I can't speak for how Honda might've solved the problem of debris getting stuck in the seem, but if their engineers did their job, they probably have this covered. Side access would have been good, too, but I read in an article that the engineers wanted to avoid the "double decker" approach to the bed, thus they went with the trunk below. Future owners will have to learn to "think ahead" before putting something in the trunk when the bed will be full.

>>In-bed spare tire: most stupid idea ever!! So now you'll have to unload whatever you are hauling to get to the spare! Oh, you can mount it in the bed when you are hauling? That means you have to move the thing around, especially when you plan to get a flat. And you also lose bed space to the spare tire. What is Honda thinking?

I can see this being a problem if the spare is used often, but really, how often will you get a flat? And how can you "plan" for it? If the spare is really cutting into space you want to use for hauling, then you should be looking into getting a bigger truck, which is probably the thought train Honda's engineers followed. But if you want a good "sport utility truck" that can seat 5 and has plenty of secure storage space with a bed you can use occasionally to haul stuff, then Honda's hoping the Ridgeline will be your first choice.

·
Registered
171 Posts
MountainBiker said:
In-bed trunk, okay idea. What about gravel or dirt getting stuck in the seam? I'd rather see side access to the trunk, so you can get to it even with a load in the bed.

In-bed spare tire: most stupid idea ever!! So now you'll have to unload whatever you are hauling to get to the spare! Oh, you can mount it in the bed when you are hauling? That means you have to move the thing around, especially when you plan to get a flat. And you also lose bed space to the spare tire. What is Honda thinking?
most of the time if you do get a flat with a load the jack is not going to be able to lift up the truck with the load in there in the first place

·
Registered
996 Posts
MountainBiker said:

How often do you get flats? In 20years for me? never. Spares are always in the trunk in cars. In my Toyota truck. It's underneath and has to be cranked down. That's the other option in this scenario. It's a bitch, and hard to maintain because of the location. In the Honda, It's easy to access to check the pressure. It's easier to access than most cars I've seen. So what, you have to unload your bed to access the spare. There's nothing about getting a flat that is easy and convienient. That's why I have a cell phone. If I have a Ridegeline, the bed will be empty 90% of the time.

Side access I imagine would be much harder to access than the way they designed it. You would be reaching deep into a compartment. Very awkward and inconvienient. This is why owners should leave their home design to a pro and auto engineers should be the ones to design cars.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Right, my old T-100 had the full size spare underneath and the one time I had to use it, I had to figure out how to crank it down with the little hole between the bed and bumper. Then crawl up underneath the truck and disconnect the tire from the cable and finish the tire process. It was a snowy day and slush and such all over the roads and everything. I got soaked just getting the tire. NEVER AGAIN. I'm not a big fan of the tire mounted on the back, like my CRV, but it's easy to get to and out the way. You will have to think ahead with the Ridgeline. But, how often do you haul a full load that you can't get to it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
As far as dirt in the seam of the in bed trunk:...

I work in the plant so I know exactly what it looks like and think of it this way... Picture the trunk on any regular car, the lid has a rubber seal on it and any water or debris that falls into the cracks runs right down the sides and out the back somewhere near the taillights right? Well this thing works exactly the same way, if you were carrying a load of dirt, sure a little might get in there but when you hosed the bed out it would run right out too.

YOu can actually see it pretty well in the pic on the previous page... now if you were to open the trunk before hosing the gunk out you'd probably get some inside the trunk since the rubber seam is on the lid...

·
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info about the rubber seal on the in bed trunk. I really appreciate the 'insider' info.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Solo2EG said:
As far as dirt in the seam of the in bed trunk:...

I work in the plant so I know exactly what it looks like and think of it this way... Picture the trunk on any regular car, the lid has a rubber seal on it and any water or debris that falls into the cracks runs right down the sides and out the back somewhere near the taillights right? Well this thing works exactly the same way, if you were carrying a load of dirt, sure a little might get in there but when you hosed the bed out it would run right out too.

YOu can actually see it pretty well in the pic on the previous page... now if you were to open the trunk before hosing the gunk out you'd probably get some inside the trunk since the rubber seam is on the lid...
Thanks for the info, great to know from someone who has actually seen it. I know this vehicle is being made in the states, unlike my 98 CRV, but which plant in what state is making all of these? That's great you work there and you have a wealth of knowledge from seeing the vehicle first hand when all of us are still waiting to get a glimpse.

·
Registered
152 Posts
"Production of the Ridgeline will be done by Honda of Canada Manufacturing. This is the fourth exclusive new light truck model launch by Honda's Alliston, Ontario, plant, beginning with the previous generation Odyssey and followed by the MDX and Pilot."

From http://hondanews.com/CatID2135?mid=2005011039571&mime=asc

In about 15 years of driving I've had 1 flat tire. So I'm not too worried about getting too the spare. As for getting dirt into the truck, its going to happen. But since it has a drain plug it should be easy to wash/clean out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Manufacturing plant location. So it seems that the northern states would take shipment prior to the sourthern and western states. Bummer!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I doubt that, we've already made thousands of them over the last few weeks and I'm sure they'll be distributed faily evenly...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts