Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Honda,

I know that the second generation of the Ridgeline was put together on a shoestring budget and all, but seriously, you had some real bone-head "Homerific" moments in its development. In no specific order, here you go....

10.) What's up with the massive and SHINY "H" on the tailgate? Were you trying to make it so big that the people in the next town over could see it? Contrary to what you might find online, sometimes bigger isn't better.

9.) And while, we're on the topic of the tailgate, thanks for letting us see the ground, via the backup camera, when the tailgate is down. I wouldn't want to run over that snail. If/then/else. It's a logic/programming thing. Trust me on this one.

8.) Your marketing efforts. All of them really, but especially the videos and the Honda "experts." I've watched a number of the videos. You know the ones. A Honda employee is riding along with a reviewer or showing off the truck themselves. Well - they sound like idiots. Sorry; not sure how else to say it. Some of them don't even seem capable of having a coherent conversation, much less talk intelligently about the truck. Sadly this was especially true when they tried to talk about off-roading. Next time, try hiring someone who has actually driven off-road (I know, I know. Just trust me here. I got your back.) or just have them be honest and say "I don't know how it works. You'll have to ask Al Gore, he invented it."

7.) Did everyone who test drove this truck have gorilla arms or was missing their left leg? Seriously, I have never in my life seen a larger, thicker foot rest. I can't straighten my left leg out at all. Not even close. Come on, man! That one really shouldn't have been that difficult. Measure twice and cut once.

6.) The sunglass holder. I really shouldn't even call it that; it doesn't hold jack. Won't hold my child's sunglasses, much less mine. Stop calling it that. Call it the random container for small crap you do not want to lose. Me - I stick $50 up there - in case I need gas and food and lost my wallet. Oh wait, I probably shouldn't say that on the internet. Oh well...

5.) The <insert profanity here> front end. I understand saving money, but seriously, would it have killed you to at least TRY and make it look a little different than my wife's Pilot. Would it have? I think not. And I'm being nice here and not talking about how an Accord looks tougher than a RL. Man up, people!

4.) And ok, so you stole the interior and the front end from the Pilot, but not the back doors? Really? Talk about a DUH! moment. Didn't anyone try and actually put something back there during your design and testing phases. You know - like a child's seat, a case of beer, a piece of paper or anything?

3.) Don't y'all actually own stuff and need to keep it in your vehicles? Ok, sure, you gave us a center console (smaller than the Pilot's BTW), but dang if that is about it on useful storage. Those cubbies in the door - yeah crap moves around and they make noise (rubberized mats would be a nice accessory to charge us $100 for). The little shelf under the A/C - that plastic won't hold jack when you accelerate. I won't stoop to mention the little shelf under the A/C in the back except to say, you should be ashamed of yourselves. No soup for you!

2.) This is America. It is in the Constitution that we will have more than 8 cup holders in any truck. Seriously what happens if we have three people in the back seat. There aren't enough cup holders for them. How embarrassing? America is not impressed. That crap may fly in Canada, but not in the good old U.S. of A.

1.) Let's talk about the truck part. You know, that space in the back with the silly speaker system. Why can't you lock the gate? Why isn't there a rail system? Why isn't there a lockable cover? Why did you "increase the volume" of the trunk, but make it less useful (says the man who didn't own a Gen I). I've seen their trunk and I came away coveting. You understand that coveting is a sin, right? You caused me to sin. Not cool, Honda. Not cool at all. Truck=Work+Play=Tools to make it happen. You didn't make it happen and now we are all praying that the after-market crowd will not screw it up.

0.) <Whispering> Volume knob and mute button.

0.0.) One inch of height in ground clearance. Would it have killed you to give us one inch more of height, so that we didn't have to spend the next 10 years listening to how a SUBARU has better ground clearance. One freakin' inch.

No, Homer can't count. And yeah, you gave us a comfortable ride and boring crap like that, but you had a chance to really nail it and while you came close, you fumbled the ball at the 2 yard line. This isn't global thermonuclear war. Close doesn't count. Saban is standing on the sidelines and he is pissed.

And so now it is time for you to go back to the drawing board and fix stuff - like Americans used to do. Get to work. Fix your mistakes.

I'm going to go read about how Alabama is going to win another national championship this year. I mean, work. I'm going back to work now.

Roll_Tide is out.

*** Intended to be tongue and cheek, people. It's the internet. I'm very happy with my truck overall, but annoyed at some of these misses. And no, no Canadians were harmed in the writing of this post.***

The artist formerly known as Selling_Taco.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Probably my biggest complaint is number 6 and the non lockable tailgate. I'll have to wait until fall when Pop n Lock comes out with their 2017 lock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,346 Posts
Yep!

I do real work with my GenI-hauling tools and building suppies

Detractors (but not deal killers) for me: . . .SOFT styling and car interior.

Major issues:
limited opening of rear door
less trunk space
no operational rear window without spending for a high trim level. I don't want a sunroof but I NEED and operational rear window.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
0.0.) One inch of height in ground clearance. Would it have killed you to give us one inch more of height, so that we didn't have to spend the next 10 years listening to how a SUBARU has better ground clearance. One freakin' inch.
ok that was the only funny part of the post. hate to have to say that but dam, it is REAL funny.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My sunglasses fit fine, however living in Arizona with a black truck be careful where you put the sunglasses after they've been up there for awhile.OUCH.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
ok that was the only funny part of the post. hate to have to say that but dam, it is REAL funny.
A few days ago you were interested in the lift because of snow fall and now someone askin for a bit more clearance is a big joke.
Edit:dont want to hurt anyones feelings around here, Carry on........

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Said just to stir up trouble ... (deleted so as to not start a verbal war).
And now for the finish, War Eagle.

Reactions: Roll_Tide

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Even the 1989 Accord had cubbies to hold things in the vehicle.

Now it is like the crappy shirts without a pocket ( I won't buy a shirt without a pocket ).

The last generation Pilot and Ridgeline had cubbies. Was it that hard to design then into a vehicle?

Did you allow the design team of the Yugo to do the Pilot and Ridgeline interior. I know there is at least one great Honda Engineer that could have fixed that issue. (hint: he was design lead on the gen 1 Ridgeline and the last generation Pilot).

The rear door issue reminds me of a $1,000,000 house that was built and the stairway from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor only had 4 ft of clearance after they installed the sheet rock and they had to take out a bathroom to fix the problem as the tub was in the way of the staircase. How can you do that? Honda knows how - the rear doors prove it.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,589 Posts
Said just to stir up trouble ... (deleted so as to not start a verbal war).
And now for the finish, War Eagle.[/QUOTE

Proof, yet again, that no matter the conversation topic the Iron Bowl can be worked in ; )

WDE

Yeah, but somehow beer was left out of the discussion. >:)

Reactions: Roll_Tide

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Proof, yet again, that no matter the conversation topic the Iron Bowl can be worked in ; )

WDE
Amen! To heck with all of this boring truck talk, it's college football time! I've got it so bad that I was watching an ACC football rerun on ESPN U the other day.

Now that's bad. >:)

I figure that y'all will be better without Muschamp (although he was always entertaining to watch). I'm interested to see how we shape up against USC in the first game. An almost completely new defensive coaching staff and (yet again) a new quarterback for us.

I would wish you luck this year, but.... 0:)

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Dear Honda, I know that the second generation of the Ridgeline was put together on a shoestring budget and all, but seriously, you had some real bone-head "Homerific" moments in its development...
I LOL'd my way through this -- great job knocking them while keeping your sense of humor!

As noted, many of the misses are tied to the Pilot template: soft-looking front (altho I think they tried to butch it up but fell short), low ground clearance, lost interior storage, oversized footrest, etc. Other issues seem to be the result of intentional compromises, apparently to save money or improve fuel efficiency. Limited rear door openings and no tailgate lock are just plain stupid design "fails", IMO.

You didn't mention the doughnut spare (Homer loves him some doughnuts). That was obviously done to save space and weight. I can see the logic for it, but it's a shame to lose the option to put a full service spare in the trunk. OTOH, making buyers spend over $40K to get a sliding back window is just Honda wanting more profit margin.

Many of these issues could be fixed with a refresh, but if the truck sells well as it is, will Honda even bother to make changes?

PS: Oh, and for the record, Homer says "Doh!" :)

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Yeah, but somehow beer was left out of the discussion. >:)
I dont drink or do drugs nothin but shotin and trail ridin my Rhino, GO Vikes to the SB, well thats like Honda buildin a different truck with a off road option aint goin to happen.:wink: but we do get the 2018 SB here in the new stadium, its an amazing place but for a price, now we need a team.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts