Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to go with a used G2 RTL-E or BE. I have read a lot about different problems from the factory. Some of those issues were fixed in subsequent years. Some maybe not so.

Can someone give me a rundown of the issues I may to deal with for years 2017 - 2020?

I may just exclude problematic years.

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
The biggest issue you will find with the G2 is the fuel injector problem (manufacturing debris in injector rail). This seems to be most prevalent in the 2017 Ridgeline. I would stay away from that year unless it comes with a Honda extended warranty (private sale transfer).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The biggest issue you will find with the G2 is the fuel injector problem (manufacturing debris in injector rail). This seems to be most prevalent in the 2017 Ridgeline. I would stay away from that year unless it comes with a Honda extended warranty (private sale transfer).

Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thank you, Sparkland.

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Not a comprehensive list, but off the top of my head:

Rear wiring harness - affected forst 10k or so 2017 models - fixed under recall...check VIN

Fuel pump replacement - fixed under recall...check VIN

Gas filler flap freezing - fixed under recall IF you have an issue (i think this only affected 2017 models, but not sure when it was fixed) - easy enough to check visually for physical problem

Fuel injectors - manufacturing issue (nothing to do with carbon buildup) that potentially affects 2017 - early 2019 models. Honda switched to new injectors nearly a year ago... read through the fuel injector thread to get VIN range. Bad injector p/n ends in 905, new injector p/n ends in 315. Just because you have the bad injector does not mean you will have a problem, just a decent chance of having a problem.... someone posted on here last night that Honda extended the warranty on those injectors

Wiring harness to tailgate for rear camera, supposedly upgraded sometime in 2019, but not sure when...

Non-problem issues:

2017-2018 has wimpy-sounding single horn... dual horns started with 2019 model.

2017-2018 RTL do not have rear slider or moonroof... can't remember if model T had those...

I'm sure there are more items, but i can't think of them off-hand.

Make sure to check prices on new 2019 models. Find on Cargurus and then check with dealers. New 2019 RTLs are going for around $31k and Sports for around $28k, may be very competitive with used market.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,736 Posts
What I have seen here, and two other online communities I frequent, is to skip the first year of the model run. So skip the 2017 year.
Choose from the 2018 and up, just to have a peace of mind.

However, I would recommend getting a new one, with the market being in a slump. Use cars are always over priced from the dealership, but you do get nice warranties (additional purchase) on them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
However, I would recommend getting a new one, with the market being in a slump. Use cars are always over priced from the dealership, but you do get nice warranties (additional purchase) on them.
I considered a new one, but so far the dealerships are low balling on the trade in. Several thousand under KBB low trade-in value.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,736 Posts
I considered a new one, but so far the dealerships are low balling on the trade in. Several thousand under KBB low trade-in value.
That is what they will do, and it is evident of the market being low. They will low ball you, then sell it on a high end as they do not make much on new car sales. Sell your car through private sale.
The rates are low and with 0.9% on the Ridgeline for the 24-72 months (exp. 05/02/2020), which is a great deal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like to buy cash. No payments. I am in the process of listing my current truck privately, but the additional tax I will pay is about $2460 when I go to buy my next truck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can someone tell me about the moisture issue I read about? You are supposed to check under one of the front seats. What was the problem? What years were affected?

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
148 Posts
Have you considered trying to sell your current vehicle privately? You will get much more for your vehicle that way. Don't know your time frame, but it may be worth a shot if you are able to wait until shelter in place is over. Especially if you have good maintenance records and your current vehicle is in good condition, you're more likely to get more selling it on your own.

Edit: Missed that you already said you are listing privately, my bad.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NP. I figured I would go ahead and list it privately. As long as I get about $2500 more than what I am being offered for trade-in I will will be better off. And it looks like I can do that. It also offers me more flexibility in searching for a truck.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
If you finances will allow, I'd recommend that you find and buy a new Ridgeline ASAP and sell your old vehicle after you get the Ridgeline.

I'd check the new and used (2018) inventory of all dealerships within driving distance. If you find a 2018 or 2019 that you like and the price is right jump on it before someone else beats you to it. I'd buy it with financing through the dealership. Financing rates are stupid cheap right now and the dealership might go lower on the truck knowing they can make a few hundred on financing. Financing might boost your credit score and you can add any accessories as well as registration fees and first license tag into the financing. If you go for an extended warranty, you can roll that into the financing as well. You can make a big payment once you sell your old car or even pay it off after a month or two if you wish. I financed my 2018 through the dealership at 2.9%, then a week later I met with my insurance agent to get the truck registered with State Farm and they offered to refinance it at 1.9%.

Then I'd sell the old vehicle on my own.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
We were considering trading our 2007 RL for the 2019 we bought in November - mostly because it's easier/quicker - but while the new truck price was great, the trade-in value they offered was pretty low. Not an actual problem to make the trade, but I decided "I'm lazy, but not that lazy", so we just bought the new one at the low price.

We're empty-nesters with 4 kids in their 20s & 30s - the last 2 both having married in 2019 - and they're all in the stage we remember very well - i.e. hustling to support themselves, buying houses, having kids, paying a gzillion bills, etc. - so we thought it'd be helpful to ask if anyone wanted to buy the old truck at the low trade-in price. The timing was right for our youngest's husband, so he snapped it up and is extremely happy to have it. Glad we were able to take the opportunity to provide an opportunity.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought a low mileage 2018 rtl-e and gave my son and his new wife my 2006 rtl. It’s in pretty good shape and pre low mileage for the year. He is really liking it...

·
Administrator
14,926 Posts
When I first saw the title of the thread, "In the market for a used G2. What should I look for?", the first answer that popped into my head was, "...an extended warranty". :)

Not a comprehensive list, but off the top of my head:

Rear wiring harness - affected forst 10k or so 2017 models - fixed under recall...check VIN

Fuel pump replacement - fixed under recall...check VIN

Gas filler flap freezing - fixed under recall IF you have an issue (i think this only affected 2017 models, but not sure when it was fixed) - easy enough to check visually for physical problem

Fuel injectors - manufacturing issue (nothing to do with carbon buildup) that potentially affects 2017 - early 2019 models. Honda switched to new injectors nearly a year ago... read through the fuel injector thread to get VIN range. Bad injector p/n ends in 905, new injector p/n ends in 315. Just because you have the bad injector does not mean you will have a problem, just a decent chance of having a problem.... someone posted on here last night that Honda extended the warranty on those injectors

Wiring harness to tailgate for rear camera, supposedly upgraded sometime in 2019, but not sure when...
We've had a half dozen 6-speed transmission failures along with water leaks reported as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,433 Posts
Personally, if i was looking at Ridgelines for a used vehicle I'd do the same checks with it as i do when i look over any used vehicle. I don't think Ridgelines are any different once they are a used vehicle compared to anything else. If it's well cared for (and fixed at a dealer who cares too under warranty) you'll have a good vehicle overall. Same holds true with just about any brand. Sure some vehicles are traded due to issues at low mileage but mostly the general portion of cars I don't believe are lemons. Just look it over good (check for water leaks on the carpets too) and just see the general condition of it. You'll see. And a RL really is a nice vehicle compared to a lot of other junk used cars.

Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts