Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
VIN number means nothing. I had a signed purchase agreement with a VIN after spending 2 hours negotiating. They could not produce the vehicle. "Oopsie! We sold that one this morning. Don't worry, we can trade for another one.". Note; the sold vehicle remained on their website for over a week after this. I even called several days later for laughs and was told it was available for a test drive.

Normally I would have walked then (probably before then) but I had a very unique situation at the end of February that financially incentivised me to give them up to 10 days to produce the vehicle. After several false "it will be here tomorrow, I promise," calls it finally arrived 7 days later. In another 3 days I would have kept my VW as the extra funds from my employer would have disappeared.
Agreed, I just wanted to see the option packages since it's a Toyota. No worries they never produced a VIN so maybe there not the worst.:) This dealership is a big chain that has multiple Toyota and Honda dealerships so a small chance of availability locally. I never go to the dealer unless I have a trade. I negotiate over email make a deposit and show up with a check. Now if you saying that if I show up with a check and no vehicle that would be the worst.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,025 Posts
It will be a seller's market for a little while.

Also from that article, current-gen Coloranyon production ended last week (see screengrab)...

This is odd because the Coloranyon is due for a new model in 2023. Perhaps GM is using the chip downtime to do the changeover and bring the new model in a year early? I think Honda did something similar with the G2.5 bodywork refresh during the COVID-19 shutdowns.

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
I ended up calling Mazda corporate and asked them to explain why their dealer wouldn't honor their warranty. I confirmed the purchase date, mileage, and page numbers in the warranty book. A few minutes later the service manager from the dealer was on the phone tripping over himself to apologize. He said it was a training issue with his employee and he would act to correct it. I said training issue or not, you tried to get $250 out of me for a warranty repair and got caught. Not sure if it was just stupidity or if they were trying to pull something on a 16 year old girl.
I don't get why the dealer would do that. Wouldn't they still get paid for the repair?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't get why the dealer would do that. Wouldn't they still get paid for the repair?
The warranty rate the manufacturer pays is lower than the shop rate the customer pays. And the "service adviser" gets a commission on "found work". I gave him 3 chances to look it up himself and get it right before I called corporate. The guy didn't give a rip. So I had no problem calling corporate to get it resolved. The service manager didn't like me calling corporate and I said I didn't either but his guy left me no choice.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I must be the exception. I have had all good experiences with dealerships and salespeople. (Except for the one really pushy Ford guy about 30 years ago, which is the only time I have ever walked out on an almost-done deal.) I've never been tricked in a major way, and never gone to look at a vehicle only to find it wasn't there.

The important thing to me is to get in and out with as little hassle as possible. I recognize there may be a few things here and there that they nickel-and-dime you for, but IMHO it's not worth the effort to hyperscrutinize everything if you can live with the overall deal.

Not to get too far afield, but I find it amusing how important it is for guys to feel they "saved some money" on a deal. Like super-important. This also applies to other big-ticket consumer areas I am familiar with, such as houses, guitars, bicycles, other sports equipment.

Whereas I almost never hear women talk about their "deals" with regards to big-ticket items. I really believe it's Y-linked. Or maybe a testosterone thing.

Not to offend anyone--I like a bargain as much as the next guy! Or girl...

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Update! I just looked on Google. I wrote reviews similar to this post there and on Dealer Rater. The dealer replied:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention both here and on DealerRater. We would like to discuss your experience further and work towards a resolution. At your earliest convenience, please reach out to Phillip Bernal, General Sales Manager, at [email protected].

Funny....the truck in question is still posted on their website, more than a day after the visit to their showroom.
Should I:
A) Call the General Sales Manager
B) Call the State Atty. General for "Bait and Switch"
C) Move on to other pressing issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a great buying experience with my 2021 BE about 8 weeks ago. All dealers close to me would not move off of MSRP. I found another dealer about an hour away that advertised decent discounts on Ridgelines, but not color/model I wanted. I then checked the same dealer using the Honda website and saw an incoming BE. I called dealer and they confirmed an incoming BE and would sell at 4K discount, no negotiation needed. A couple weeks later it arrived and I went to pick it up fully expecting some trick with the pricing. No trick, no hard sell of worthless accessories, and out the door in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I had a great buying experience with my 2021 BE about 8 weeks ago. All dealers close to me would not move off of MSRP. I found another dealer about an hour away that advertised decent discounts on Ridgelines, but not color/model I wanted. I then checked the same dealer using the Honda website and saw an incoming BE. I called dealer and they confirmed an incoming BE and would sell at 4K discount, no negotiation needed. A couple weeks later it arrived and I went to pick it up fully expecting some trick with the pricing. No trick, no hard sell of worthless accessories, and out the door in 20 minutes.
Good job. You just wrecked this poor guy's whole thread.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Hum.......27 bad, 1 good.☹

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Good job. You just wrecked this poor guy's whole thread.
I'm not a novice buyer. I've been driving for 50+ years and probably trade a car, on average, every 2 years. I've had some GREAT dealers, including the Toyota Dealer that sold us my wife's Highlander about a month ago. Unfortunately this wasn't one of them.

I'm used to the normal tricks and taps. I've purchased cars in MD and driven them back to Texas without major problems.

Since the car is still on the website, I'm more convinced that this wasn't an "accident." I'm frustrated that they lied to me. I'm more concerned about those who aren't savvy enough to walk away from the trap!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Makes one wonder who invented “bait and switch”.....the unscrupulous seller or the duped buyer. Guess it takes both.

Reactions: ScooterS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Back in 2004 we bought our 1st new vehicles since getting married. Needed a minivan to shuttle the kids, and the wife gave me permission to get a car for me. From carpooling experience, had decided on Toyota or Honda.
Went to Toyota first, asked to test drive 4 vehicles. Salesman went along, and I had to drive a prescribed route. After driving the 3rd vehicle, salesman suggested coming back after lunch to drive the 4th. We left, and went to Honda.
At Honda, asked to drive 4 vehicles. Salesman said he’d be right back. A few minutes later he pulls up in an S2000, hands me the keys, and says, "Take this for a spin while I get the other 3 ready." We bought an Odyssey and the S2000!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have had both good and bad dealer experiences, although more bad than good. The good were mostly when I knew someone in sales at the dealer.

When I was first looking for my RL, I had found a local dealer that had listed one 2018 RTL-E (in white) among the handful of 2019 RTL-E's. I inquired about it and was immediately asked when I wanted to come check it out. I asked to confirm that they had it there and they said yes. Haggled about price and they said they could do some amount off MSRP (don't remember but it was pretty significant) because it was previous model year. So I load up the family and head there. We walk the lot and look at all of the RL's, none the E's are white. The sales guy appears confused (thought he checked that it was there!?!?!), so we walk into the building and there I see on the showroom floor a white RL. Sure enough, this is the 2018 and it has literally ~$10k worth of add ons onto it and sticker price was mid $50's. No wonder they still had a 2018. The pictures on the website were all of it in stock form with the stock MSRP price listed on there.

I point this vehicle out to the sales guy, he runs back to check with his manager and comes back to ask if I am interested in it. I said yes, for the agreed upon price, they can remove whatever they want and put it back to stock. He goes and talks to manager again. He came back and said they couldn't do that, but they would gladly make a deal on a new model. He asks what it will it take for us to buy a new one. I told him the same discount he promised me on the older model on the new one. I think he could tell I was not amused with the whole thing and quickly came back and said his boss said they could not do that. We left and have not gone back to that dealer since.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
So, my daughter drove by one of the dealerships I was dealing with when she was out with a friend last night and takes pics of a line of RAV4's fresh off the truck. This was the dealer that had 19 listed and zero when I tried to buy. (none were listed as in transit). Anyway, I called them up did the deal at sticker and will be picking it up today or tomorrow supposedly. At this point I just want my Passport back. Those folks knew I was looking, they get a shipment in and don't call, I hunted them down. What a world.

EDIT: Well, I just sent over the insurance cards, they sent me an invoice I put $500 down. Even negotiated protection plans will probably buy one of those tomorrow too. Once the "ice" was broken this dealership was a pleasure to deal with. Very low pressure with the F&I guy he did want to sell the financing, I get it. Let's hope this continues when I pick it up tomorrow afternoon. It's definitely fresh off the truck. If I had a damn car I'd drive up there now but nope, it's just me and the dog.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I hate dealerships in general. I would much rather buy directly from factory and maybe have authorized repair centers. Just look at what stealerships are doing to Tesla in Texas. Want to buy one of those? Oh, you’ll have to drive out of the very state where they are manufactured to buy it cause Texas is on behalf of the lobbyist protecting car dealers. Car dealers don’t exactly provide tons of jobs either and most are very low wage ( I would wager the Tesla plants product more jobs and higher quality ones). That business model of dealerships is dying but they refuse to accept it . That’s not capitalism, it is protectionism.

I know not all dealers are bad but I have been through multiple ones that are nice show rooms full of sketchy sharks. I’d cross that dealership off the list and never go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
This would be a good time to post this:

If you haven't heard it before, it is a great podcast, and one of the best documentary features that TAL has ever done, IMO. Well worth the hour it will take to listen to it.

It may not make you like car salespeople more, but it does humanize them and highlights the incredible pressure they are under to make sales. It's not a job I would want...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I'm not a novice buyer. I've been driving for 50+ years and probably trade a car, on average, every 2 years. I've had some GREAT dealers, including the Toyota Dealer that sold us my wife's Highlander about a month ago. Unfortunately this wasn't one of them.

I'm used to the normal tricks and taps. I've purchased cars in MD and driven them back to Texas without major problems.

Since the car is still on the website, I'm more convinced that this wasn't an "accident." I'm frustrated that they lied to me. I'm more concerned about those who aren't savvy enough to walk away from the trap!
Maybe they just didn't like you? Is there a sign on the door that says "We refuse the right to serve anyone"?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I sold Chevy’s for 1 dealer from 1985-1999 and then Honda’s for 1 dealer from 1999-2018. If these 2 dealers would’ve treated anyone the way I would NOT have wanted to be treated, I wouldn’t have stayed with them. Each individual dealer decides how they’re going to do business. Unfortunately some choose the wrong way.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've purchased at least 30 vehicles (cars and motorcycles) over the years and the invention of the internet has truly changed the way I buy vehicles. I do my research, find out what rebates and such are available, find out what others paid...then I set a price for the vehicle I want and I start emailing dealers. First one that gives me the deal gets my business. I don't even consider driving to the dealer unless they send me a buyers order or some confirmation of the deal in writing. I've only had this backfire once when I tried to buy a Dodge Ram pickup. Dealer was about 2 hours away from me and they agreed to my deal. When I arrived they have the truck waiting and offer me a test drive while they evaluate my trade. I get back and they put the paperwork in front of me to sign and the price is not what we agreed to. I tell them they have made a mistake and they start telling me about doc fees, and freight fees, and undercoating, and VIN etching, etc. I told them I agreed to an "out the door" price. If they want to include those "value add" items, they'll pay for them out of their side. We haggle for a bit with them trying to toss in oil changes and such (remember it's a 4 hour round trip for me), and I decline all of it. Finally they tell me that the price is final..take it or leave it. It wasn't far off what we agreed on...I think it was less than $500...but that's not what we agreed upon and I have it in writing that they agreed to my number. So I told them I would not buy from them as they wouldn't honor their commitment. I asked for my keys and they claimed they "misplaced them". They basically held me hostage. I asked to speak to the general manager who was "unavailable". I finally told them if they didn't produce my car keys and my car that I was going to call the police. Magically the keys appeared.

Most of the time I do all the credit app stuff online and I show up ready to sign the papers. I'm in and out in an hour or so. I don't deal with the sales guy more than a few minutes to have him show me the vehicle and let me inspect it. Then I'm off to the finance office.

The exception to this was when we were shopping for my wife a car. I was dead set on the Mazda CX-5 but it was during the height of COVID and all the cars on the Mazda lot were locked and no salesperson came out to assist us. So she never got to sit in the car. We ended up at a Lexus dealership. Folks, if I had the money I'd buy a Lexus once a year just to have the dealer experience. It's that good. My wife and I had no intention of buying a car that day, we were just looking. But my wife fell in love with a NX 300 and it was in great shape. A lease turn in and a certified pre-owned vehicle with a warranty and complementary service for 2 years. I was waiting for the disappointment of hearing it was out of our price range, but to my surprise it was UNDER our max spend limit. A quick search online showed the dealer was asking a fair price for the car. Probably about $1000 too high, but it came with a warranty and complementary service so that offset it to some degree. We were treated just like a customer who was buying a $100k LS. Fresh pastries and coffee while we waited. Everyone who worked with us knew our names and were very professional and polite. We took delivery inside a glass room which was heated (it was January, so it was cold) and the salesman showed my wife all the features of the car, paired her phone, explained what everything did, and took her picture with the car. When I returned for service, I made an appointment and when I pulled in the service bay and got out of the car I was cheerfully greeted with, "Good morning Mr. Hargis. Dropping off your 2018 NX 300 for 45,000 service? I see here you are eligible for an upgrade to Apple CarPlay and AndroidAuto, would you like us to perform that upgrade at no charge?". I handed over my keys and they point me to the loaner car area. Imagine a concierge desk at a nice hotel. "Hello Mr. Hargis. Picking up a courtesy loaner. Would you perfer a sedan or an SUV?". Me being a big guy opted for the SUV. I'm walked out and allowed to choose which one I want. I chose the RX350...which was nearly new...a 2021 with 2000 miles on it. Loaded to the hilt. Keep in mind...I bought a used Lexus for $27k and was treated like this. Honda needs to take some notes. This particular dealer has probably earned my business for life.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts