Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
August of 2019, needed a new truck as my Ford F150 was totaled in a rear end accident. Looked and liked the Ridgeline RTL and decided to give the local dealer a try. I have used their service department in the past for other Hondas I have owned and was very happy with this group. So I went to the dealer and they had had one black E model and one green Sport. I wanted a metallic grey. No problem they say, we have a "sister" dealer in another city 180 miles away, but we can have the truck picked up the next morning, back at the dealer for noon and ready for me to pick up for 1pm. All they needed was a $500 deposit to show I was serious since they were going to have to drive and get the vehicle. I was not feeling real good about starting off with a new vehicle with 400 miles added from a "pickup" in another city but they assured me the truck would washed and waxed like it just came from the factory. I gave them a $500 deposit check. Next morning 10am, no word form the dealer, Noon no word, 2pm no word. I drove over there at 2:30pm. Salesman sees me coming and he and his sales manager meet me and say, the truck was sold hours before the driver got there to pick it up for me. Not to worry, he found another vehicle 400 miles away that he could have towed over the next day. I said no thank you I would just like my deposit back. Ok we have to find the Finance Manager to get your deposit check back but in the meantime lets go look at the two trucks we have here again. Go get my check now or there will be a scene. Within 5 minutes the Finance Manager showed up and gave me my check. I left and no one said a word. Bought the truck I wanted from another dealer 25 miles away.

·
Registered
217 Posts
August of 2019, needed a new truck as my Ford F150 was totaled in a rear end accident. Looked and liked the Ridgeline RTL and decided to give the local dealer a try. I have used their service department in the past for other Hondas I have owned and was very happy with this group. So I went to the dealer and they had had one black E model and one green Sport. I wanted a metallic grey. No problem they say, we have a "sister" dealer in another city 180 miles away, but we can have the truck picked up the next morning, back at the dealer for noon and ready for me to pick up for 1pm. All they needed was a $500 deposit to show I was serious since they were going to have to drive and get the vehicle. I was not feeling real good about starting off with a new vehicle with 400 miles added from a "pickup" in another city but they assured me the truck would washed and waxed like it just came from the factory. I gave them a $500 deposit check. Next morning 10am, no word form the dealer, Noon no word, 2pm no word. I drove over there at 2:30pm. Salesman sees me coming and he and his sales manager meet me and say, the truck was sold hours before the driver got there to pick it up for me. Not to worry, he found another vehicle 400 miles away that he could have towed over the next day. I said no thank you I would just like my deposit back. Ok we have to find the Finance Manager to get your deposit check back but in the meantime lets go look at the two trucks we have here again. Go get my check now or there will be a scene. Within 5 minutes the Finance Manager showed up and gave me my check. I left and no one said a word. Bought the truck I wanted from another dealer 25 miles away.
I had a sales manager tell me he thought they could get a trade for a PW BE from a sister dealer in Lincoln. It didn't work out. However, in this case I had originally agreed to a PW RTL-E that was already on the manifest for that dealer (and put down a deposit), but asked him to see if he could get a BE. He didn't promise it, just said he would see if he could swing it.

Communication is the key here. It doesn't take any effort to just tell someone something is possible without guaranteeing it.

My GF works as a software engineer and over the years has had to deal with all kinds of overeager salespeople (almost always men) who get out over their skis and promise something that's not feasible. She has to bring them back to earth...

·
Registered
475 Posts
My GF works as a software engineer and over the years has had to deal with all kinds of overeager salespeople (almost always men) who get out over their skis and promise something that's not feasible. She has to bring them back to earth...
Sounds like my job. I'm an IT Solutions Architect. My boss often tells our team we have to be the "adults in the room" and keep things in the realm of reality.

·
Super Moderator
1,980 Posts
This would be a good time to post this:

If you haven't heard it before, it is a great podcast, and one of the best documentary features that TAL has ever done, IMO. Well worth the hour it will take to listen to it.

It may not make you like car salespeople more, but it does humanize them and highlights the incredible pressure they are under to make sales. It's not a job I would want...
I've never heard of that before but it was a good listen actually. And truthfully I've had probably all of those different car salesmen at one time or another. The cool guy, the pushy guy, the guy who just waits till the end of the month to make a deal (84' Pontiac Transam loved that car). It's really been an incredible experience of car buying and listening to that validated a lot of what I expected behind the scenes. WOW !

·
Registered
340 Posts
I read this article 10+ years ago and it is a good read. Edmunds hired a journalist to go work at 2 different car dealerships (high pressure Japanese brand and low pressure domestic) and report back to them. Have used a lot of what I learned reading this in negotiations.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I hate to generalize but sales people that work at car dealerships, especially non luxury brands, are either not very bright, have no ethics or just don't care. And that plague has now spread to most other sectors if out society aided by this last year and a half of Corona panic. People got used to sitting at home, working from home, watching Netflix and now that it's time to get back to normal.... no one is interested. Most people liked it the way is was. The whole thing made a lot of people very lazy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I live in a midwestern rural area about 50 miles from "the city". Moved out here in the summer of 2018 from Seattle and by January 2019 I determined that my BMW 328 was not ideal out here. Decided that I needed a truck. I had liked the G1 Ridgeline functionality but not really the look, and really liked the new G2 look - but also test drove a Colorado and a Ranger. Went to the dealerships - first round visit - I don't talk about price I just test drive, look at the trims and options etc. I told the salespeople (all men in this case but no matter) that I would decide what I wanted and come back. I learned a long time ago that you can be firm without being rude and avoid much of the bullshit by just keeping the sales people on tasks YOU want them to do. Only one salesman refused to do that and I went to the sales manager and got another one. No problem.

I decided on the RL and kind of hedged my bets and bought the Sport trim. The Honda dealer (only one in town) was very straightforward. I was reasonable and knew what the NADA and KBB values were on my car, and felt I was getting a reasonable discount off MSRP. They even told me that they were going to wholesale my car to the BMW dealer. No BS from finance guy and I took the advertised 0.9% APR financing and nothing else. Everybody has got to make a buck right?

I have been very happy with RL, and decided the other day that I wanted to upgrade to a higher trim 2021. I went back to the same dealer, same salesman. Their selection of RLs on site was pathetic - I think they had a Sport w/ HPD package for test drives, and a Black Black Edition waiting to be picked up by it's new owner. The Sales Manager had a personal White BE that he offered to let me drive, but having driven the Sport to try out the 9 speed trans I just looked it over. The salesman pulled up a spreadsheet that showed all the cars they had in the pipeline up to 60 days out; their respective build date, and whether or not they were held by deposit. 17 of 22 had deposits. Buzz killer right? I am still trying decide which trim and color I want to reserve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
“I know what happened, it didn’t come in”. An age old trick captured years ago in National Lampoon’s Vacation. 🤣

·
Registered
217 Posts
I live in a midwestern rural area about 50 miles from "the city". Moved out here in the summer of 2018 from Seattle and by January 2019 I determined that my BMW 328 was not ideal out here. Decided that I needed a truck. I had liked the G1 Ridgeline functionality but not really the look, and really liked the new G2 look - but also test drove a Colorado and a Ranger. Went to the dealerships - first round visit - I don't talk about price I just test drive, look at the trims and options etc. I told the salespeople (all men in this case but no matter) that I would decide what I wanted and come back. I learned a long time ago that you can be firm without being rude and avoid much of the bullshit by just keeping the sales people on tasks YOU want them to do. Only one salesman refused to do that and I went to the sales manager and got another one. No problem.

I decided on the RL and kind of hedged my bets and bought the Sport trim. The Honda dealer (only one in town) was very straightforward. I was reasonable and knew what the NADA and KBB values were on my car, and felt I was getting a reasonable discount off MSRP. They even told me that they were going to wholesale my car to the BMW dealer. No BS from finance guy and I took the advertised 0.9% APR financing and nothing else. Everybody has got to make a buck right?

I have been very happy with RL, and decided the other day that I wanted to upgrade to a higher trim 2021. I went back to the same dealer, same salesman. Their selection of RLs on site was pathetic - I think they had a Sport w/ HPD package for test drives, and a Black Black Edition waiting to be picked up by it's new owner. The Sales Manager had a personal White BE that he offered to let me drive, but having driven the Sport to try out the 9 speed trans I just looked it over. The salesman pulled up a spreadsheet that showed all the cars they had in the pipeline up to 60 days out; their respective build date, and whether or not they were held by deposit. 17 of 22 had deposits. Buzz killer right? I am still trying decide which trim and color I want to reserve.
I was pretty much in your situation. I think if you're firm on what you want and willing to put down a deposit ($500), they will really try to get you a vehicle. They have some flexibility to trade with other local dealers especially if they're owned by the same group. Not much willingness to trade from far away. It's also possible someone who put down a deposit later changes their mind.

You can also travel a bit.

I ended up waiting about 2 weeks for mine, but it came when they said it would without exactly what I wanted on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's a tactic. I bet you would be surprised how many people go through the same thing and end up buying another vehicle or putting a deposit on a new "order". Once you get them in the door, you have a chance even if you pissed them off. Some will do anything to get that batter in the box.

Honda and Toyota dealers (overall) are absolutely the worst, most obnoxious dealers I have ever dealt with. For obvious reasons.
They must all be bottom feeders. My wife is trying to buy a Hyundai Santa Fe Calligraphy. I have never seen such a lack of integrity in a "profession"'

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL-T
129 Posts
I have a friend who is an auto broker and used car dealership. To be clear, he sold me a car before he became my friend. I have since bought 6 cars from him, and sold 2-3 through him on consignment. And trade-ins. And I have referred other friends to him. Stand up guy, one of the too-few honest ones in the biz. I recently bought a pristine Cayenne S from him. Took 10 minutes, and I never saw the vehicle until I picked it up. The 10 minutes consisted of 5 minutes of signing the paperwork (cash deal), and 5 minutes of him printing the temp tag and putting it on the car. No joke, 10 minutes. He has my info, fills out everything in advance, doesn't even look at my ID, I know exactly what I am signing since I have done this multiple times.

Pure bliss in car buying.

He happened to have this Cayenne in his inventory. I have also had him buy (wholesale) a couple used cars sight unseen for me - on my word alone. Even out of state. I find the car online, tell him the price I want, and he makes it happen. Then I show up a few days later after he picks up the vehicle and brings it to his shop, changes the oil, details it, handles all the transfer paperwork and temp tag, and we do the 10 minute deal. Same process for an out-of-state car, he arranges shipping and passes cost through to me. He charges me $500 for all of that.

I am spoiled. I have done other transactions without him for practical reasons, but it's painful as everyone has described above.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts