Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before I forget I thought I would ask if anyone has figured out how to increase the strength of the trunk's "keep-open-supports" so that they can support having a rubber bed liner on top and stay open when trying to get into it vs always trying to close? I'm on my phone and thought I would throw it out there and see what you guys thought. Hope this make sense :)

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Before I forget I thought I would ask if anyone has figured out how to increase the strength of the trunk's "keep-open-supports" so that they can support having a rubber bed liner on top and stay open when trying to get into it vs always trying to ckose? I'm on my phone and thought I would throw it out there and see what you guys thought. Hope this make sense :)
I use a small section of PVC pipe between the edge of the trunk (right or left) and the upper tie point to keep the trunk from closing. Works fine without having to roll back the mat. I keep the pipe in the trunk. The pipe is also mostly out the way being at the side of the trunk so as not to interfere with loading/unloading.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,403 Posts
Sorry but I have to wonder at the logic of a bed mat, particularly when it is actually DISFUNCTIONAL. The Ridge's bed doesn't need any protection unless you are dropping some really large / heavy objects in it from an unreasonable height. Yes it will get scratches but why the heck are you worried about those in a pick up truck?? Dump the mat and enjoy the full usefulness of the bed and trunk!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sorry but I have to wonder at the logic of a bed mat, particularly when it is actually DISFUNCTIONAL. The Ridge's bed doesn't need any protection unless you are dropping some really large / heavy objects in it from an unreasonable height. Yes it will get scratches but why the heck are you worried about those in a pick up truck?? Dump the mat and enjoy the full usefulness of the bed and trunk!

I got mine because it gives slip support and grip to the bed surface. Stuff doesn't slide around as much with the mat in. Also if I carry anything that can spill, liquid or like sand material, if it does spill it spills on the mat and not down into the cracks of the trunk lid. Which I did have a bag of cat litter rip and was a pain in the butt to clean out around the lid and then after you open the lid down in all those edges.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I got mine because it gives slip support and grip to the bed surface. Stuff doesn't slide around as much with the mat in. Also if I carry anything that can spill, liquid or like sand material, if it does spill it spills on the mat and not down into the cracks of the trunk lid. Which I did have a bag of cat litter rip and was a pain in the butt to clean out around the lid and then after you open the lid down in all those edges.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm in the "same boat". Because of what I carry, I don't want my cargo slipping in the bed. The rubber mat fits the bill exactly. I use mine EVERY day.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,403 Posts
Still don't really get it . . .If you have cargo of any sort of mass stashed in the back and not strapped in, what happens when you have an emergency stop?? Do you think a rubber mat is going to keep a 30 pound object from crashing forward into the firewall / through the rear window? Objects should always be strapped in securely. . .

For loading and unloading building materials (which I personally do regularly), a surface that you can slide things on is a benefit. I have tarps available if I am going to carry something like sand, mulch or crumbly trash. Isn't it as much of PIA to get sandy, crumbly stuff off the mat? Do you want a gasoline soaked mat in the back of your truck? I have spilled a some gas in the bed before. I just wiped it out and rinsed with a bit of simple green. Not really a problem and it is probably better than having a mat with something like gasoline on it sitting in prolonged contact with the the bed.

Oh, and if I had to use some sort of prop everytime I wanted to get my tools out of the trunk, my head would most certainly explode. . . .

I do understand that people use their vehicles differently, but I still don't see much logic to struggling with something to access the trunk that's primary purpose is to keep the bed looking pretty . . If it lulls you into a false security that your stuff isn't slipping around, then that is even more disfunctional IMHO.

Sorry if this seems "ranty."

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I like the rubber mat too for the above reasons given. Plus, if I need to go in the bed to fix something, etc. it is much gentler on my 'senior' knees.
I have no issue sliding cargo towards me when unloading (I have a cargo 'puller bar'). It does reduce slippage of cargo more likely to slip, like suitcases.
Good thought on the spills.
The prop is so easy to use it's 2nd nature, or I just roll the mat back. Not a big deal either way. To each his own.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I love my Bedmat for all the above reasons. I put two "pull out" stays on the rail of my Access cover to hold the lid up. I think the prop rod is the easiest way to hold up the lid.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I have an Access EZ-Retriever for moving cargo front the front to the rear of the bed. After 2 years I started having trouble tightening the end of the rod that grabs the cargo, it kept turning.
So I emailed them and asked if I could get something to tighten it up again like new. They replied "no worries, we are sending you our new EZ-Retriever, Happy Holidays.". A few days it showed up on my porch and now you can adjust the length as well.
Now THAT'S customer service!

http://www.accesscover.com/ezretriever/

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Radtech91 knows whats going on, slip is my main issue, and was an issue from day one and is not an issue now. The issue cannot be solved with a pull stick (found in any west marine really) especially with a cooler full of 150lbs of ice which strapping down is not necessary as it would not fly out of the bed, but I don't want to have to crawl in the bed and slid it to the back after driving. I didn't ask for opinions on my purchase for the mat and anything related to that is not relevant to my original question. What I did ask for is how to increase strength of the trunk "keep-open-supports". The pipe idea is ok for a bunch of stuff, but for a bottle of water w one hand available on the way to work, or other quick pit stops it won't help or be beneficial, that said I now have a pipe in there for longer "loading" periods like changing my trailer hitch cement on a rainy day, etc. I'll update if I find a real solution. No knocking the pipe, just frustrated with the continued opinions that don't address the questions people have, but rather just say keep it stock/keep it the way it is/ it was designed perfectly why would you change it/ and more similar replies found in every post on this site vs real design/forethought/modification experience/or other clever thinking beyond, change is bad. Okay sorry for the frustrated rant, I will remember next time I ask and try not get frustrated.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Radtech91 No knocking the pipe, just frustrated with the continued opinions and no solutions on this site, I will remember next time I ask.
Maybe if you had mentioned you were searching for a 'one-hand' solution in opening the trunk in your original post you would receive opinions that were more appropriate solutions to your problem.

And that's my opinion of your opinion.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Radtech91 knows whats going on slip is my main issue and cannot be solved with a pull stick (found in any west marine really) especially with a cooler full of 150lbs of ice. I didn't ask for opopinions on my purchase for the mat. What I did ask for is how to increase support of the trunk. The pipe idea is ok for a bunch of stuff, but for a bottle of water w one hand available on the way to work, it won't help. I'll update if I find a real solution. No knocking the pipe, just frustrated with the continued opinions and no solutions on this site, I will remember next time I ask.
Maybe if you had mentioned you were searching for a 'one-hand' solution in opening the trunk in your original post you would receive opinions that were more appropriate solutions to your problem.

And that's my opinion of your opinion.
Ditto Rolin's reply big time.....

I get that you aren't enamored with the bed mat commentary, but folks have different ways of offering helpful opinions/suggestions.

And now that you've clarified your desire for "one handed" operation with increased support, you 'might' get some more focused suggestions.... but I seriously doubt that anyone has implemented a solution such as you're looking for... or at least I've not seen one discussed here.

HOWEVER, if you want to be the first to succeed at this, here's what I suggest for solution options:

For a simple, straight forward fix, try a modification of the "pipe" solution: Just tether one end of the pipe to the inside roof of the trunk lid, near the corner where the latch (& your hand) is, such that when you open the lid via the latch, the pipe will immediately gravity-fall (swing) into position for you to grab, & place in the desired support position... all while the lid is supported by the same arm/hand. Your tether will need to be long enough to allow placement of the pipe, and will need to hang from a position that will bring the pipe to you when you open the lid. With this 'Free-tethered' support strut (pipe), you'll just need to 'tuck it under' every time you close the trunk lid.

If you want a more 'clean' design; I'd suggest you install a slide bar to the bottom (underside) of the lid roof: Fabricate your slide bar out of flat or round bar ... I'd select a flat plastic bar stock, maybe 1/4" x 1 1/2" or so.... Now mount that in a captive-slider fashion to the lid... you could do this with the same structural plastic stock (stack & cover "bridge" squares/rectangles) under which the bar will slide.
Size the bar length so that it can slide out the side of the lid when open, to then sit/rest above/on the side rail of the bed, thus supporting the lid until you're done; at which point you slide it back under the trunk lid. This is tantamount to the old cabin door sliding bar type of latch. The benefit of this solution (over the tethered pipe) is that you don't have to mess with it unless you're actually using it.

If you really want to get elaborate, look for a door strut that will fit in there that can support the required weight..... the kind you find on rear door hatches of mini-vans or deck floor compartment lids on boats. You'll have to define mounting points & size the strut appropriately. This solution impedes storage space, so that's one draw-back.

There's your ideas.... hope you find them helpful. Let us know if you find & implement the solution you are seeking.

P.S. You could also use a swinging-stick, which is swivel-mounted to the upper lid, which swings down automatically (gravity) when you open the lid, but I was not able to see how/where that could easily be implemented.... but maybe you want to think on that some more...... again, that would require the 'stow' action every time you close the lid.

Have fun with your search.... hope you find the right answer. Interested to know what you do.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have a mat too and I am happy with it. I hated it when I first got it bc the trunk won't stay open. In fact I disliked it so much at first that I tried giving it away but a few guys on here convinced me to give it a chance.

Here's why I like it: it hides the fact that there's a trunk. Someone walking by won't notice the door in the bed and try to f*ck with it. Also I park in a wooded area quite often. It keeps the little nuts and leaves and sticks out of the gap between the bed and the door.

Also there's the slip/protection issue and if you're kneeling down on the bed it does save your knees a little.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Love my bed mat! Propping the trunk lid up with a small piece of pvc is a minor inconvenience.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
One handed doesn't matter. The original question was how to increase the trunk supports to stay open with more weight on the trunk, specifically the mat, not what do you think about the mat. When I get time I'll look at the support mechanism and see if the spring, or whatever it uses can be upgraded/doubled etc, and post back. I should have put this in the mods section in regards to actually wanting to change the trunk support mechanism as my plan from the get go, my bad.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
One handed doesn't matter. The original question was how to increase the trunk supports to stay open with more weight on the trunk, specifically the mat, not what do you think about the mat. When I get time I'll look at the support mechanism and see if the spring, or whatever it uses can be upgraded/doubled etc, and post back. I should have put this in the mods section in regards to actually wanting to change the trunk support mechanism as my plan from the get go, my bad.

You certainly have a right to complain about your issue not being directly addressed, but I would not expect some of us not to stray from time to time.
Maybe there is no excuse for doing that, but I don't think anyone has to apologize for it either.
I learned some time ago, if you want a direct response it is most helpful to come forward with a proposed solution as well in your question. Tends to keep most folks on track.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's a tortion spring similar to some garage doors. So options would technically be further twist the spring to make it tighter some how, add another spring inside or on top of current, or find a spring upgrade with a thicker/ stronger spring.

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
^^I looked at the springs on the trunk lid and thought the same thing^^

Then I bought a BedRug and it's light enough that the OEM springs keep the lid up without the need to make any modifications. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts