Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has come up with a way to increase the truck bed space. I haul a couple of kayaks around periodically and I've solved that problem by buying a tee bar extension that fits into the trailer fitting.
However I'm trying to find a way to do something to the bed of the truck for times when I want to haul a slew of camping stuff so that it is easier and safer to transport.
I've thought about cutting plywood to extend the wall height but wondering if anyone has come across an after market system that solves the problem and looks better.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Buy a little trailer to haul all your extra stuff! Especially good for when you go camping! :act035:

·
Registered
662 Posts
What he said. Good smaller sized ones can be had new for $600. Check your classifieds and you will find them for under $500 for a 4x8.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
I made a bed extender for mine that allows me to use the tailgate as part of the bed, effectively giving me a 6'-6" long bed instead of the standard 5'. Honda and others sell bed extenders, but they are pretty pricey and they aren't as wide as the bed itself. I made mine out of 2x3's and designed it to be as wide as the bed. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it to post, but I could take a few sometime and post them here if you're interested. My primary use for it is for camping, allowing me to get more gear in the bed. It doesn't address the height issue, though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the humorous photos guys, that's what my truck looked like last time I went camping.
I'm afraid a trailer is out of the question, no where to store it and don't want anymore licenses to register, not to mention tire and bearing upkeep.
I'd like to see some photos of your bed extender wa2be when you get the chance.
I'd toyed with the idea of making a long box affair and putting it on the tailgate.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just went to an event where I had to haul alot of stuff. The trunk was loaded and the bed was stacked. If your cargo is ok being exposed to the elements, I think a cargo net would work well to keep stuff from falling out. I wish I had one last weekend.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I didnt know you had the cargo net alread. There was a thread about the Indy RL safety vehicles. I saw some of them have a pullout tray or something that made the tailgate useable space. Maybe something like that would help make more bed space.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's kind of what I had in mind, just trying to get some ideas on what would be the best way to build it, thanks for the interest.

·
Registered
2011 RTL w/Nav
284 Posts
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has come up with a way to increase the truck bed space. I haul a couple of kayaks around periodically and I've solved that problem by buying a tee bar extension that fits into the trailer fitting.
However I'm trying to find a way to do something to the bed of the truck for times when I want to haul a slew of camping stuff so that it is easier and safer to transport.
I've thought about cutting plywood to extend the wall height but wondering if anyone has come across an after market system that solves the problem and looks better.
Thanks
You could always mount one or more cargo boxes, either on a roof rack or you can install a rack over your bed on the bedrails, using the VanTech rail adapters, which provide a nice track system for various uses. Cargo boxes are pretty expensive if you buy them new, but they turn up regularly on Craigslist and can be had cheap.

Trailers are a better option sometimes, but I'd rather not pull one if I can get away without doing so.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,201 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the photo KSPhoto, that is a nice looking rig but I'm afraid it would cut down on the height requirements I would need for larger objects that would have to go in the bed.

·
Registered
2011 RTL w/Nav
284 Posts
Thanks for the photo KSPhoto, that is a nice looking rig but I'm afraid it would cut down on the height requirements I would need for larger objects that would have to go in the bed.
You might want to consider the complete Gen3 rack system, then. Here's a picture off of their website. As you can see, if you don't have a bed cover you'd have a lot of room below the rack for taller items in the bed. And then you could put a box, or even two, on top of the rack for the stuff you wanted to keep dry or out of sight.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now that I like but it looks expensive, I will have to check them out on their website thanks for the photo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts