Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I know the answer to this but figured I would ask anyway to be sure I am right.

I am buying at a dealer about 4 hours away both because of price and availability. The truck is supposed to be in next week. I will, of course, give it a careful inspection when I pick it up. The question is this:

If I find a defect, I assume that I could have it fixed either at the selling dealer or the (much closer) local dealer under warranty, is that correct?

I would, of course, have the selling dealer certify that any defect that could have been owner caused was already present when it was picked up (like scratches, etc).

I would just hate to have to drive 8 hours to have something fixed if that can be avoided. I will allow time to deal with small issues when I pick it up but that might or might not be possible (parts, etc.)

Thanks

· Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E | Northeast U.S.
2,967 Posts
Hey CCDAstro. I think you're good. All Honda dealers have to stand behind any Honda. I guess there's a slight bit of leverage in going back to the original dealership, or at least it seems that way, but it's probably fantasy. The reality is, all these dealers want your service business. That's where they make the most money. So if the nearby Honda dealer has a chance to win your business by solving your warrantee based problem, they'd be stupid to give you bad service and lose it.

Reactions: daddy-o

· Registered
59 Posts
I think I know the answer to this but figured I would ask anyway to be sure I am right.

I am buying at a dealer about 4 hours away both because of price and availability. The truck is supposed to be in next week. I will, of course, give it a careful inspection when I pick it up. The question is this:

If I find a defect, I assume that I could have it fixed either at the selling dealer or the (much closer) local dealer under warranty, is that correct?

I would, of course, have the selling dealer certify that any defect that could have been owner caused was already present when it was picked up (like scratches, etc).

I would just hate to have to drive 8 hours to have something fixed if that can be avoided. I will allow time to deal with small issues when I pick it up but that might or might not be possible (parts, etc.)

Thanks
Your warranty is a Honda warranty, meaning you can take it to any Honda dealer.
The tricky part may be if you have dealer installed accessories and there is an issue with the install. Now, again, any dealer can take care of it, but depending on how they operate, you may not get the 5 star treatment because you didn´t buy from them. I have not ran into too many dealerships that operate this way though, and the ones that I have seen do this don´t get very much repeat business.
You will be just fine, get the truck you want from wherever you can get it, and your local dealer can handle any warranty issues.
Congrats on your soon to be new truck.

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey CCDAstro. I think you're good. All Honda dealers have to stand behind any Honda. I guess there's a slight bit of leverage in going back to the original dealership, or at least it seems that way, but it's probably fantasy. The reality is, all these dealers want your service business. That's where they make the most money. So if the nearby Honda dealer has a chance to win your business by solving your warrantee based problem, they'd be stupid to give you bad service and lose it.
Thanks, pretty much what I thought, especially about the service dept being the money maker (even at warranty rates). The local dealer was actually pretty nice, just did not have what I wanted and their prices were higher.

· Registered
45 Posts
I am buying at a dealer about 4 hours away both because of price and availability
I am in the same area as you, would you mind sharing what dealer you went through?
CO dealers are well…interesting to deal with, guess they feel we're too lazy to drive over the passes to $ave thousands :frown:

Thanks!

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am in the same area as you, would you mind sharing what dealer you went through?
CO dealers are well…interesting to deal with, guess they feel we're too lazy to drive over the passes to $ave thousands
Thanks!
McMinnville. The price was good (given the hard to find nature of the RL at this time) but it did not show up when they expected (30th), now supposedly 12-16 July. That is not all that unusual, I guess, unless there is yet another delay or some other issue.

I suspect that I just happened to call at the right time when they had the first few come up for listing and before they realized the level of demand. They only show mine (as sold) and an RTL on their site now.

Yes, Bend Honda is not great on price although they were very helpful and friendly. They did not have what I wanted coming any time soon anyway so it did not matter. They do have one to drive (RTL-T) that they have bought as a demo.

· Registered
45 Posts
I suspect that I just happened to call at the right time when they had the first few come up for listing and before they realized the level of demand. They only show mine (as sold) and an RTL on their site now.
Thank you…I kind of had a feeling that's where it happened. I think you're right, timing was everything on that deal. I'm more interested in the RTS, so it could be a while for the next wave. Most people seem to be interested in the upper levels, so that might work out for me when the next shipments come our way. I'll be watching for you around town :act030:

· Premium Member
7,342 Posts
The dealer cannot repair defects inherent to the vehicle (like the body shudder after a stop). Honda R&D is aware of the issue and I think they're going to try and fix it going forward but no repairs on existing sales.

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dealer cannot repair defects inherent to the vehicle (like the body shudder after a stop). Honda R&D is aware of the issue and I think they're going to try and fix it going forward but no repairs on existing sales.

I was really just talking about obvious manufacturing flaws/mistakes, not design issues. For what it is worth, I looked for but could not detect any significant body shake under those conditions. There was something but very slight - I would not have even noticed it if not for reading the thread here and then looking hard for it. Certainly no more than pretty much every other vehicle I have had.

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unless you have a lease that due to turn in soon or a vehicle that can't make it months I'd wait this out. Don't let new vehicle fever override your brain.
The hate is back. All I did was ask a question about defect correction. That question has been answered. That does not call for an opinion as to whether I should buy or not. It is off topic.

Take that opinion to one of the buy/no buy threads please.

· Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E | Northeast U.S.
2,967 Posts
Sure doesn't give you much incentive to be an early adopter. Even if it was a paid upgrade that would be welcome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.