Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this cheap AX-ANR1000 to try and reduce radio noise.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_26831_Axxess-AX-ANR1000.html

Wiring connections are as followed:
BLACK = (-) GROUND
RED = (+) 12 VOLT OUTPUT
GREEN = (+) 12 VOLT INPUT

Can someone tell me where to wire the red and green?

I think red will go to the 12V ignition ACC red wire on the harness, while the green should attach to the blue power antenna wire.

I'm not experienced with wiring. Please confirm or correct me if I'm wrong. I have a feeling that the green wire should be connected somewhere else?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you need antenna booster, not a power filter.
I already have an antenna attached. The signal works fine. The problem is that there is disruption or noise when playing the radio due to some other factor such as grounding issues or engine or alternator interference.

I'm unable to locate the exact cause, but I think I narrowed it down to my ground connections. So I bought this noise filter to clear up interference. Not sure if this will work, but I'm hoping.

Can anyone tell me how to wire this correctly based info on the original post? Thanks.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Green = red on factory adapter harness
Red = red on headunit harness

It could also be yellow on each harness (+12v constant.) Power antenna isn't in this equation.

A bad ground can come from a "ground" like a black wire, or it can come from a speaker, or it can come from an RCA. If you're getting alternator whine, you should check all of these.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
The problem is that there is disruption or noise when playing the radio due to some other factor such as grounding issues or engine or alternator interference.

I'm unable to locate the exact cause, but I think I narrowed it down to my ground connections.
Can you describe the system and the noise you are hearing?

For example, do you have an external amp? Is the head unit factory or after market? Is the noise only present with FM but not disc or other source? Does AM receive normally but is masked by noise? Is the noise "whine" or broad static that changes with engine speed? All of those questions matter for diagnosis.

Generic noise filters can only do so much and sometimes nothing depending on how the noise is entering the signal path.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Green = red on factory adapter harness
Red = red on headunit harness

It could also be yellow on each harness (+12v constant.) Power antenna isn't in this equation.

A bad ground can come from a "ground" like a black wire, or it can come from a speaker, or it can come from an RCA. If you're getting alternator whine, you should check all of these.
Thank you Beatle! Yea I"m not sure why I was thinking power antenna. It's so obvious, I don't know what I was thinking. SMH. Thank you!!! Will install soon and post results.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you describe the system and the noise you are hearing?

For example, do you have an external amp? Is the head unit factory or after market? Is the noise only present with FM but not disc or other source? Does AM receive normally but is masked by noise? Is the noise "whine" or broad static that changes with engine speed? All of those questions matter for diagnosis.

Generic noise filters can only do so much and sometimes nothing depending on how the noise is entering the signal path.
1. No amp or anything. Just installed a new headunit: Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS.

2. The noise is only on radio stations. Not picking up anything on AM, but I never really tested it out. Disc, aux, Blue-tooth (which uses the antenna) work perfectly, not one spec of noise. Also the noise is on when the car is not running and in park as well as while driving.

3. The noise is more like static. On certain stations there's no noise. On most others it varies from a lot to a little.

4. Sometimes, while just holding the HU in my hand the signal clears up, then the noise comes back. (Leading me to believe it's my connections)

5. Also, the ground wire that I'm using has 3 other connections spliced into it using T-Taps (also leading me to believe it's my connections - this is probably the cause of disruption) I wanted to redo this, but then I would have to redo a lot of wiring and it would get very messy. I may have to do this if I can't find solution.

That's pretty much all I can think of at the moment. I used butt caps and t-taps for connectors. I wanted to solder and shrink wrap the connections, but I'm not an expert and the time it takes to learn and do was not worth it, especially since I've never soldered before.

If you can help me find the cause and solution I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
1. No amp or anything. Just installed a new headunit: Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS.

2. The noise is only on radio stations. Not picking up anything on AM, but I never really tested it out. Disc, aux, Blue-tooth (which uses the antenna) work perfectly, not one spec of noise. Also the noise is on when the car is not running and in park as well as while driving.

3. The noise is more like static. On certain stations there's no noise. On most others it varies from a lot to a little.

4. Sometimes, while just holding the HU in my hand the signal clears up, then the noise comes back. (Leading me to believe it's my connections)

5. Also, the ground wire that I'm using has 3 other connections spliced into it using T-Taps (also leading me to believe it's my connections - this is probably the cause of disruption) I wanted to redo this, but then I would have to redo a lot of wiring and it would get very messy. I may have to do this if I can't find solution.

That's pretty much all I can think of at the moment. I used butt caps and t-taps for connectors. I wanted to solder and shrink wrap the connections, but I'm not an expert and the time it takes to learn and do was not worth it, especially since I've never soldered before.

If you can help me find the cause and solution I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance!
The interference you are hearing originates somewhere in the antenna system. If the antenna is original and all connections are complete, that issue can be anywhere between the antenna, the factory antenna amplifier or the cable running between the antenna components under the third tail light panel at the rear of the cab and the cable running to the dash.

Amplitude modulation (AM) is much more sensitive to physical connections than frequency modulation (FM) - so the fact that you have dead air in AM mode means the circuit between the signal in the air and the H.U. is incomplete. The most likely issue is DC + power supply to the factory antenna amp.

When you installed the Pioneer, did you make sure to connect the blue power wire associated with the antenna cable leading to the H.U.? If not, that's the issue.

If you did connect + DC to that wire, check to make sure that supply goes high (ON) when the ignition key is in the ACC or ign ON position. I recommend using the accessory power wire in the harness - NOT the switched supply coming out of the Pioneer because that line is not designed to supply current to an external device. Its sole purpose is to act as a voltage trigger for an audio amplifier or other device connected to higher current power sources.

If you did connect the +DC to the factory antenna amplifier, the most likely culprit is the cable or one or more of it's connection point. An easy way to validate that suspicion is to find a friendly car stereo shop who could loan you a test antenna that could be connected directly to the Pioneer. It's a good thing getting to the back of the H.U. is so easy to access. 15 minutes in the parking lot will tell you what you need to know. If the factory antenna, amp or cable is dead, now is a good time to replace it entirely with a new roof mounted antenna. The horizontal polar pattern of the factory antenna is already a trade off for good signal capture so replacing the factory antenna system will make much better use of your state of the art Pioneer tuner. There's good info on this site if that's the route you take.

Best of luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts