Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a message for the whole and Joe specifically. What really keeps my attention drawn to the Ridgeline is the innovation of the original product, and the hope for more. I'm confident that you cannot share any details, but can you confirm or deny that the Honda engineers have added some new surprises that are noteworthy, or is the product simply all the same on a new platform.

·
Registered
971 Posts
This is a message for the whole and Joe specifically. What really keeps my attention drawn to the Ridgeline is the innovation of the original product, and the hope for more. I'm confident that you cannot share any details, but can you confirm or deny that the Honda engineers have added some new surprises that are noteworthy, or is the product simply all the same on a new platform.
I think its a great question I would sure like to know as well. Joe has hinted or said that the truck is not revolutionary rather is evolutionary. Without over the top speculation that means to me its alight, its new, its nice but ahh nothing crazy here nothing as you said "innovation" and the hope for more. That depends on you definition of more! Some are over the moon that it can handle 300 lbs of true weight. Others like myself want at least another 1000 lbs limit in the 6K to be qualified as worth while more! Some are tickled pink that it has a slightly more efficient 3.5L same as before, but others want more innovation and optional change. The appearance still way up in the air but could be a home run we just don't really know quite yet.

Given what we know its just as capable perhaps a little more but not by that much. It will work well for a few but for the ones looking for that extra wow factor? sorry but my speculation is no probably not at this point. Again I hope I am the one who is wrong on this. I would be the first to say wow fabulous job Honda good for you for taking the plunge into change.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Its a fairly large risk for companies to make great change in a model and I think way more for Honda this time around. However with a bit of risk can bring some great rewards. Have to put your neck out there a bit. Buffy your thoughts on innovation are not unheard from many of us here. We have all been talking about that for years on this website. Company has to know about it by now. I would be shocked if they didn't get the message by now. That would be quite a telling story in itself.

Honda must know what their competitors are doing, what their trucks are capable of, and exactly what their clients request are in a truck. Maybe a mix of the above with a unique vision from Honda is what I would expect. However my personal vision is closer to what is already out there by companies with some new looks and modern amenities added from Honda this time. Its sounds like it is a bit of that but actually closer to the first gen one in capability.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I think it is fair to say Honda is rarely revolutionary except when first establishing a new design or engine. From that point it stays the same for a very long time.
They are more evolutionary, but if you take the progress from 2006 to 2014, those changes hardly meet the criteria. They are more about refinements than serious upgrades. We can hope the 'new gen' evolves more and is maybe even a rebel. Because unless it is a mistake it is going to be the same for years to come.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Watching a film last night with the El Camino in it. Have heard comparisons between the Ridgeline and Camino... on seeing both in action, gotta say nuts ! The RL is in a class all its own.

·
Registered
462 Posts
As a corporation, Honda is extremely conservative and risk averse--it's a cultural thing. As such, hoping for something revolutionary in the Gen2 is just that--a hope--without much chance of getting that hope fulfilled in any way. I would expect/anticipate that some of the the evolutionary changes/advances seen in the new Pilot will carry over to the RL Gen2, but chances of seeing anything revolutionary are nil.

·
Registered
971 Posts
As a corporation, Honda is extremely conservative and risk averse--it's a cultural thing. As such, hoping for something revolutionary in the Gen2 is just that--a hope--without much chance of getting that hope fulfilled in any way. I would expect/anticipate that some of the the evolutionary changes/advances seen in the new Pilot will carry over to the RL Gen2, but chances of seeing anything revolutionary are nil.
... and it's funny because their way of thinking hasnt exactly made them that popular in results. One would think they would take a hint through knowable marketplace buyers, competition offerings and raise up to the challenge. Delays and lack of communication going to burn them sooner then later I think. People are still waiting and hoping they couldn't be more lucky to still have this luxury.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
... and it's funny because their way of thinking hasnt exactly made them that popular in results. One would think they would take a hint through knowable marketplace buyers, competition offerings and raise up to the challenge. Delays and lack of communication going to burn them sooner then later I think. People are still waiting and hoping they couldn't be more lucky to still have this luxury.
That's one way to look at it. Another (one I think Honda employs) is that the long road is more important than the short one. Honda has established it's reputation for quality & reliability over a long course of purposeful deliberation & certainty when it comes to engineering & design (it's a great reputation by ALL accounts). They've also held to a corporate preference (call it culture if you like) for conservative styling, which I think necessarily complements well their longer model life cycles and the ability for their cars to stay on the road longer than most. There wouldn't be much point to being able to continue driving your long-lasting car if you felt like it quickly looked outdated and you no longer wanted to be seen driving it!

So, I have no complaints at all about this aspect of Honda's methods. That's not to say that they haven't suffered poor leadership decisions in the last few years, and have had to limit their typically more assertive product introductions given recent financial 'gloom'. My hope is that they'll get back to where they were.... but I believe that where they came from is just fine.... I DON'T believe they need to try to follow other companies' more trendy approach to marketing or product development. Personally I've always appreciated their deliberate approach & hope they continue that. :act030:

·
Registered
971 Posts
That's one way to look at it. Another (one I think Honda employs) is that the long road is more important than the short one. Honda has established it's reputation for quality & reliability over a long course of purposeful deliberation & certainty when it comes to engineering & design (it's a great reputation by ALL accounts). They've also held to a corporate preference (call it culture if you like) for conservative styling, which I think necessarily complements well their longer model life cycles and the ability for their cars to stay on the road longer than most. There wouldn't be much point to being able to continue driving your long-lasting car if you felt like it quickly looked outdated and you no longer wanted to be seen driving it!

So, I have no complaints at all about this aspect of Honda's methods. That's not to say that they haven't suffered poor leadership decisions in the last few years, and have had to limit their typically more assertive product introductions given recent financial 'gloom'. My hope is that they'll get back to where they were.... but I believe that where they came from is just fine.... I DON'T believe they need to try to follow other companies' more trendy approach to marketing or product development. Personally I've always appreciated their deliberate approach & hope they continue that. :act030:
I do agree with that as well. A mix of both would be a perfect world IMO. It may be just a little too much on the "their"way approach.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts