Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one day I looked at the side of my truck and was shocked to see some bubbling between the rear passenger doors and wheels in the same spot on both sides of the vehicle. Brought it into the Honda dealership who said the Diamond Kote DK9000 module died. I was so concerned I got a body shop to hoist it and he checked underneath and said it's way worse than he thought. Said this should never happen on a vehicle like this with the amount it's been driven (it's at 83K bought it at around 51K in 2011, previously driven by an old lady :p). Even the body shop owner said this is extremely odd and even without the module it should never be this bad.

DK wants an estimate, I went into the 2nd body shop who gave the official estimate and they also said that this is very abnormal and shouldn't have happened like this (he's seen the side bubble before but all underneath is significantly worse than it should be). They quoted like $10K+ which I'm guessing would probably fix it cosmetically for a few years but there is still a massive issue and safety concern by me.

Another thing to note which jumped in my head after hearing how abnormal this is, was that I received a letter a couple years back from Honda offering me a brand new car or truck for free or possible $1000 in exchange for my truck. I found that extremely odd as that would be like giving me a huge amount of money for free. I went in and they didn't have any ridgelines to give just cars and SUV's but apparently that was a legit letter. Now I'm wondering if Honda knew this was going to happen and wanted to get it off the road before it came to light.

Anyway, has anyone seen something like this happen before?

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,137 Posts
I have an 07, as well, and there is NO WAY a modern vehicle that is 10 years old should be THAT bad underneath or on the body. Mine has some surface rust on certain parts, but, even though it's been through several PA winters, it's in much better condition. I sure hope you still have that letter. I'm not sure what you can possibly do now, but it's at least worth a call and/or email to Honda corporate to show them the pictures and the body shop estimate. You're talking MAJOR structural and cosmetic surgery on that thing. From what I can see, it's almost unsafe for you to be driving.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an 07, as well, and there is NO WAY a modern vehicle that is 10 years old should be THAT bad underneath or on the body. Mine has some surface rust on certain parts, but, even though it's been through several PA winters, it's in much better condition. I sure hope you still have that letter. I'm not sure what you can possibly do now, but it's at least worth a call and/or email to Honda corporate to show them the pictures and the body shop estimate. You're talking MAJOR structural and cosmetic surgery on that thing. From what I can see, it's almost unsafe for you to be driving.
Agreed, everyone including 2 separate body shops and an old GM of a Honda dealership say that this is not normal at all. I legitimately am afraid of the structural integrity and safety of driving this. Will have to see if I can find that letter and start a dialog with Honda corporate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There has been issues with rust from other members but not as bad as you have it.

Diamond Kote DK9000 module died???

What the heck is that?
It's a little device that plugs into the trucks computer system and regulates a small current of electricity. From their website: "The DK9000 Module sends a positively charged low voltage current throughout the metal of your vehicle, cancelling the negative free electrons which are naturally present and continually fuelling the rusting process. Then, the module’s sacrificial anodes, which possess a naturally higher positive charge than your vehicle’s body, take on any corrosion, ahead of your vehicle’s steel."

I know it's not like Krown rustproofing or anything but it was a minimal price to pay for any degree of preventing rust

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,811 Posts
I wonder what type of driving you do, much off road? Do you park on a concrete pad or on a grassy area? My FIL had a 7 year Ford sedan that had 78K miles and had tremendous power but everything underneath was rusted out because he parked it in the grass. One day his daughter was driving it and the brake line failed causing a lot of smoke. She was lucky to be going up hill at the time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder what type of driving you do, much off road? Do you park on a concrete pad or on a grassy area? My FIL had a 7 year Ford sedan that had 78K miles and had tremendous power but everything underneath was rusted out because he parked it in the grass. One day his daughter was driving it and the brake line failed causing a lot of smoke. She was lucky to be going up hill at the time.
Nothing off road, never parked on grass either. Basically to and from work in town plus groceries. Driveway is asphalt, same with work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's over there on the shelf next to the fabric protector, tire nitrogen, and blinker fluid.
Haha, yeah that seems to be the general consensus but for a minimal add on price I figured it couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,137 Posts
I'll be interested to see what Honda has to say about it. Yes, the corrosion warranty is long gone, but there is absolutely nothing normal about this amount of rust. Some have reported surface rust in wheel wells, door frames and other rust-prone areas, but that was superficial. What you have is invasive, structural-compromising rot. I had a 93 Chevy Silverado beater several years back and it had similar rust issues. It had sat outside its entire life and was NEVER waxed and barely washed. Only after its 17th year of life did it fail a safety inspection for an unstable frame. With your year and mileage, the amount of rust you have is astounding. There are several other Canadian trucks of similar age and thousands more miles that don't look anywhere near that bad. Make no mistake, this is a BIG deal.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,765 Posts
So one day I looked at the side of my truck and was shocked to see some bubbling between the rear passenger doors and wheels in the same spot on both sides of the vehicle. Brought it into the Honda dealership who said the Diamond Kote DK9000 module died. I was so concerned I got a body shop to hoist it and he checked underneath and said it's way worse than he thought. Said this should never happen on a vehicle like this with the amount it's been driven (it's at 83K bought it at around 51K in 2011, previously driven by an old lady :p). Even the body shop owner said this is extremely odd and even without the module it should never be this bad.....

DK wants an estimate, I went into the 2nd body shop who gave the official estimate and they also said that this is very abnormal and shouldn't have happened like this (he's seen the side bubble before but all underneath is significantly worse than it should be). They quoted like $10K+ which I'm guessing would probably fix it cosmetically for a few years but there is still a massive issue and safety concern by me.
Agreed, everyone including 2 separate body shops and an old GM of a Honda dealership say that this is not normal at all. I legitimately am afraid of the structural integrity and safety of driving this. Will have to see if I can find that letter and start a dialog with Honda corporate.
If the Diamond Kote DK9000 module was installed wrong, it would amplify the rust, and the anodes would never fail.

Reactions: news2u

·
Registered
2014 Sport
4,193 Posts
Not looking to stir up trouble, but have you considered the possibility that your electronic rust control module actually had the opposite effect and accelerated rusting on your vehicle? Perhaps you have been given incorrect info on the history of the vehicle and it has spent time in a salt water flooded area? Perhaps your truck was built during a period where there were issues at the plant with whatever galvanizing / protective coating they do to the body panels?

Bottom line is that the amount of rust on your vehicle is very surprising and beyond anything else I have seen on this site. My 06 has been through 10 years in the Mid Atlantic with plenty of exposure to road salt and high humidity (I realize of course that your winter conditions are far more extreme) There is really no siginifcant body panel rust to speak of with a surface coating of rust on many of the bolt on components. . .

Whats the length of the rust through warranty on our trucks?

PS: Carsmak beat me to the "rust amplifier theory" while I was writing my post. Not sure how likely it is but worth investigating a bit . . . .

·
Super Moderator
7,765 Posts
From the 2007 Owners Manual...

Rust Perforation Limited Warranty

Only the vehicle’s original owner can make a claim under this warranty. Coverage cannot be transferred to any other person or institution (such as an insurance company).

Time and Mileage Period
This warranty’s coverage begins on the same date as the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (see page 9), and continues for 5 years with no mileage limit. Any body panels repaired or replaced under this warranty are covered only for the time remaining in the original 5 years of coverage.

Warranty Coverage
Honda will repair or replace any original body panel that rusts completely through from the inside out (perforated by corrosion). This includes panels previously repaired or replaced under this warranty. Rust that does not perforate, but is caused by a defect in material or workmanship, is covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. You will not be charged for any parts, material, or labor under this warranty. The decision to repair, rather than replace, any rusted body panel will be made by Honda.
https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Handbooks/AWL31583.pdf

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If the Diamond Kote DK9000 module was installed wrong, it would amplify the rust, and the anodes would never fail.
Not looking to stir up trouble, but have you considered the possibility that your electronic rust control module actually had the opposite effect and accelerated rusting on your vehicle? Perhaps you have been given incorrect info on the history of the vehicle and it has spent time in a salt water flooded area? Perhaps your truck was built during a period where there were issues at the plant with whatever galvanizing / protective coating they do to the body panels?

Bottom line is that the amount of rust on your vehicle is very surprising and beyond anything else I have seen on this site. My 06 has been through 10 years in the Mid Atlantic with plenty of exposure to road salt and high humidity (I realize of course that your winter conditions are far more extreme) There is really no siginifcant body panel rust to speak of with a surface coating of rust on many of the bolt on components. . .

Whats the length of the rust through warranty on our trucks?
After Carsmak said that I honestly started shaking my head like that'd be a horrible nightmare more so than it is. That would be absolutely crazy and I would hope there is no way to install incorrectly. Doing the exact opposite and making rust thrive... Definitely would at least explain the severity of it but I don't know if that is even possible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll be interested to see what Honda has to say about it. Yes, the corrosion warranty is long gone, but there is absolutely nothing normal about this amount of rust. Some have reported surface rust in wheel wells, door frames and other rust-prone areas, but that was superficial. What you have is invasive, structural-compromising rot. I had a 93 Chevy Silverado beater several years back and it had similar rust issues. It had sat outside its entire life and was NEVER waxed and barely washed. Only after its 17th year of life did it fail a safety inspection for an unstable frame. With your year and mileage, the amount of rust you have is astounding. There are several other Canadian trucks of similar age and thousands more miles that don't look anywhere near that bad. Make no mistake, this is a BIG deal.
Glad to at least get better insight and more opinions on it so thank you. I will let everyone know what comes of it. I truly hope I didn't just somehow get a one in a million problem and am left taking the bus or worse an accident.

·
Super Moderator
7,765 Posts
Oh, it's completely possible. I'll post more, we use Anodes where I work to protect underground steel pipeline. AFAIK, it would only take connecting the wiring for it in reverse, and it's more than likely only 2 wires a positive and a negative. In that case it would become a problem between where you purchased the DK module and installer and DK who "insures" the device is protecting the vehicle it's installed in.

And it's very much like the "anodes" in the water heater example above.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
4,193 Posts
I found the DK9000 manual on line. Here's the recommended test to see if the system is functioning correctly:
"TESTS TO ENSURE CORRECT INSTALLATION:
The best way to test the system is by using a voltmeter set for 0-
200 volts DC. Place
the red (positive) lead on the metal of either anode and the black (negative) lead on any earthed (grounded) part of the vehi
cle. Your
reading should be between 35 and 50 volts DC. The other anode should read the same. If you do not have access to a voltmeter, an
alternative test can be done by placing one end of a piece of wire (you could use an off
-cut from the left over anode wire) to one of the
anodes and the other to a suitable earth (ground). If
the installation has been done correctly, the RED “Protection Output”
should come on,
do this to check each anode"

Here's the link to the PDF manual:
http://www.diamondkote.com/forms/Platinum-Series-Installation-Instructions_EN.pdf

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.