Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is! Installed a 9in floating headunit by Alpine (Halo 9 ilx-f309). I replaced the factory 5in display headunit
on my 18' Ridgeline Sport. Overall, big improvement! I did lose my steering wheel controls & bluetooth on my steering wheel
but according to the installer I'll be able to get steering wheel controls (volume up & down and track selection) once an update
is provided by PAC. Currently, the controls are not working. The Alpine headunit has bluetooth so technically I didn't lose bluetooth.

The Alpine headunit is a single din unit, 9in stationary tablet style touch screen headunit. Currently it's the largest screen you can get. Apple CarPlay or Android Auto can be selected depending on your phone. I'm running Apple CarPlay. I was able to retain the USB connection in my center console and stock back-up camera (adapter needed). The back-up camera has that fisheye view which isn't too bad. Just not that great. Not a bid deal. I'm sure I can replace the stock back-up camera with an aftermarket unit but it's something I'm not thinking of doing for awhile. The dash kit is gloss black which I am not a big fan of but maybe down the road I'll get it wrapped in matte gray or something to match the other dark gray trim in the interior.

Overall, I am happy with the new headunit. It's a big improvement over the stock 5in headunit that is standard on the RT, RTS, Sport, and lower trim RTL. It looks as if it came with the Ridgeline straight from Honda. It has that factory appearance especially if you were to look from the outside of the truck. All I can say is that if you are looking to replace the stock headunit on your RT, RTS, Sport, or lower trim RTL check out the Apline Halo 9 (model ilx-f309). Just don't peel over when you see the price LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
That is the one I was looking at when it was announced earlier this year. Very nice. For being brand new with such a big screen it is not that bad of a price. Does it have HD radio?

How adjustable is the screen? Were you able to find adaptors/harnesses for the install or did you have to splice into the trucks wiring? Can you list what adaptors/harnesses you used please?

I think about stopping every time I drive by the local stereo store to see if they can get this radio yet, very nice. Please keep us updated when you get the update, hopefully you get the steering wheel controls back.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,842 Posts
Reactions: D R E W Version2

·
Registered
154 Posts
It seems like I have seen something else, maybe a Civic, with a stock radio that was mostly a screen outside the dash similar to this. Maybe thieves would think it is stock and pass it by.
Found these pictures of the Odyssey and Accord, not quite the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you post some pictures of the unit from the side showing what the mount looks like?

Can you also post the actual width and height dimensions of the screen? Thanks!
The screen is 9in wide not including the bezel and I believe 6in tall. I can't find the exact measurements of the unit online. It pretty much is the size of the stock headunit.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's not any more expensive than a decent a Pioneer unit would cost. The Alpine unit looks amazing. You are approaching Tesla territory (maybe a little exaggeration), but I like it a lot. Good job. You should get some real love from 5" screen owners. It does have an HD radio tuner built in.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-MvL3jpWcF4W/p_500ILXF309/Alpine-Halo9-iLX-F309.html

The only downside to this giant touchscreen would be the ease with which this could be stolen. Probably not for apartment dwellers or homeowners who have to park outside.
It does look like a factory head unit if you are not familiar with this headunit. I looked at my brother's 2018' Accord Sport and it both the factory screen on the Accord and the Alpine unit look as if it was factory installed.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,825 Posts
@D R E W Version2

Does the screen detach? I saw the price on Crutchfield, although it's high, it's not horrible? Any chance you could take any additional pictures if the screen is removable?

Nice job, looks like almost every Mazda screen, in the new ones.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
18 Posts
As someone who created a custom mount for my android tablet to mount over the existing head unit, this looks awesome! You mentioned the backup camera has a wide angle bubble view, does this mean the option for multi views including the hitch cam view is gone? As someone who trailers a boat frequently I'd be sad to no longer have that view. Thanks for the photos and details about the unit, nice work!

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,892 Posts
First time seeing it and boy it looks great. I am not crazy about after market headunits that are like 7 inches, but truly sub 7" displays. This, this is something else.
I guess the price is justified, but holy hell it is effing expensive!!!! yet again, its an Alpine :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i know this post is old now, but could you tell me. Did your controls on the steering wheel work to reset the oil life/maintenance minder when you have tried?
You lose the functions to lower/raise volume, track selection, and bluetooth but I had a PAC controller installed. The tech stated that an update should be in the works and I should get those lost functions back once it's available. Everything else on the steering wheel still works.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,892 Posts
What does this accomplish a dash mounted IPad wouldn’t?
Custom installs are cost effective if we do it ourselves, but are probably more expensive (depending on the install). Wiring for these tablets and carpcs are not for the faint of heart. You should see my in-dash wiring. Self contained and powered units simplify everything and thus can command a price-tag that, if you put all the work, parts and time, into consideration, may justify it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
As someone who created a custom mount for my android tablet to mount over the existing head unit, this looks awesome! You mentioned the backup camera has a wide angle bubble view, does this mean the option for multi views including the hitch cam view is gone? As someone who trailers a boat frequently I'd be sad to no longer have that view. Thanks for the photos and details about the unit, nice work!
Do you have pics or a thread of your custom mount? I'm considering doing this myself in my 2019 BE...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.