Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first post... I used the forum to research what to buy for a bed rack and tonneau cover for my new 2017 ridgeline. While the forum was a great source of info, I wasn't able to find anyone who had installed both of my selected items together so I figured I'd post for others to benefit.

I just finished installing a Vantech P3000 bed rack as well as a Bak Revolver X2 hard rolling tonneau cover.

A few observations:

1: My main fear before ordering all this was that the rail for the tonneau and the bed rack wouldn't fit beside each other. I can confirm that they do indeed fit fine. There is absolutely no space between them though... but they do indeed fit.

2: I'm very happy with the Vantech Rack. Its exactly what I was looking for. Its very easy to take the rack on and off, leaving only the rail at the bottom. When the racks are removed, the remaining rail doesn't take away from the look of the truck at all. Especially with the Tonneau on as well.

3: When installing the Vantech Rack, make sure you have everything squared off perfectly. In particular, make sure the vertical supports are flush with the horizontal bar where they connect. If you don't get this right, the whole thing doesn't move or operate as well as it should.

4: The Revolver X2 is awesome. Looks really sharp. The one thing to be aware of here is that, when installed as per the instructions, the back part of the rail will not sit flush with the top of the bed. This is because the rails are a little too deep and hit the liner. Pictures of this attached. To solve this, I cut about 1/4 inch off the bottom of the rail from the end to about 6" in. this allowed it to sit flush at the back.

5: The only other issue with the Revolver, which is not a big deal is that the spring lock at the back brushes against the plastic liner. You can see that in the third picture. This doesn't really affect things except that occasionally, it doesn't unlock itself cleanly and I have to push it up myself.

Bottom line is that I'm really happy with the finished product. Looks sharp and works as described.

Hope this helps others.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
Hi all,

This is my first post... I used the forum to research what to buy for a bed rack and tonneau cover for my new 2017 ridgeline. While the forum was a great source of info, I wasn't able to find anyone who had installed both of my selected items together so I figured I'd post for others to benefit.

I just finished installing a Vantech P3000 bed rack as well as a Bak Revolver X2 hard rolling tonneau cover.

A few observations:

1: My main fear before ordering all this was that the rail for the tonneau and the bed rack wouldn't fit beside each other. I can confirm that they do indeed fit fine. There is absolutely no space between them though... but they do indeed fit.

2: I'm very happy with the Vantech Rack. Its exactly what I was looking for. Its very easy to take the rack on and off, leaving only the rail at the bottom. When the racks are removed, the remaining rail doesn't take away from the look of the truck at all. Especially with the Tonneau on as well.

3: When installing the Vantech Rack, make sure you have everything squared off perfectly. In particular, make sure the vertical supports are flush with the horizontal bar where they connect. If you don't get this right, the whole thing doesn't move or operate as well as it should.

4: The Revolver X2 is awesome. Looks really sharp. The one thing to be aware of here is that, when installed as per the instructions, the back part of the rail will not sit flush with the top of the bed. This is because the rails are a little too deep and hit the liner. Pictures of this attached. To solve this, I cut about 1/4 inch off the bottom of the rail from the end to about 6" in. this allowed it to sit flush at the back.

5: The only other issue with the Revolver, which is not a big deal is that the spring lock at the back brushes against the plastic liner. You can see that in the third picture. This doesn't really affect things except that occasionally, it doesn't unlock itself cleanly and I have to push it up myself.

Bottom line is that I'm really happy with the finished product. Looks sharp and works as described.

Hope this helps others.
I love that combination. Makes that G2 look like a real truck. Honda should use your picture in an ad!

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I installed my Revolver X2, I rounded over the metal in 2 places on the spring loaded clamp (see the attached), but it might be difficult to do it while the rails are installed on the truck. The clamp has never failed to open on its own.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered it directly from Vantech. I live in Canada so I couldn't order it online. I called them and they shipped it via USPS.

·
Registered
275 Posts
where did you get the X2?
It slams closed with no latches/ yes?
tailgate works with the tonneau in the closed position as well?

Thanks - REALLY leaning toward this - one concern is loss of vertical space in bed- is it noticeable? would love to hide 3 surfboards in there!
greg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where did you get the X2?

It slams closed with no latches/ yes?

tailgate works with the tonneau in the closed position as well?

Thanks - REALLY leaning toward this - one concern is loss of vertical space in bed- is it noticeable? would love to hide 3 surfboards in there!

greg

I live in eastern Canada so ordered mine from a local dealer named Action Direct. In the US you can order it from any number of online stores... or Bak themselves I believe.

I wouldn't really say there is any vertical space loss as the cover is pretty thin and basically mounts flush with the top of the bed rail. There is a small amount of width taken by the mounting hardware, but really not a big deal. Not sure if 3 surfboards would fit or not though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi im in canada too. How much was your revolver x2? Have you tried it on the highway any drumming noise? Any problem with water getting in. Im in a pickle on which to get the x2 or the mx4. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would that roof rack work well for a 20' long canoe or double kayak?

That's a 17' canoe... you can't see it super well in that picture but I strapped a foam thing to the front as I was afraid it would possibly flex and hit my window. In reality it wasn't necessary.

I think the ideal setup - especially with a 20 footer would be to put a single Thule rack on the roof as well for a third support. But you could probably also do it with foam blocks on the roof plus the rack.

The rack comes with side supports - intended to hold a ladder in place - but they work awesome for the canoe as well. It keeps the canoe from moving sideways at all so it's very stable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great thread - I am also planning on adding the Vantech's to my G2

I have a Peragon cover on my G2 - I think it will still fit with the rails. Would it be possible to take a close up of how close the Vantech rail are to your tonneau cover.

I also have the same question regarding the color of the rail.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
275 Posts
I checked the Vantech site
It shows the back rack with silver rails
I would agree that the rail should be black to match the truck rail and the black rack
Don't think plasti dip would work well in that application

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have black rails. Came that way direct from the factory

·
Registered
275 Posts
From vantech?? They just wrote me, I'll direct them to this thread. I want black

·
Registered
275 Posts
Here is what I got a few hrs ago
Greg,
At this time all of our rails are only available in silver anodized.

Thank You,
Vantech USA
545 Johnson Ave
Brookyln, NY 11237
(718) 497-3482

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From vantech?? They just wrote me, I'll direct them to this thread. I want black

Yep. I called them to place the order and asked that question specifically before I ordered.

Everything is painted the same black. I agree completely that silver would not look nearly as good.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts