Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched my grille to the HPD one a few weeks ago and I definitely recommend paying the dealer (quoted $180 labor) to install. I triangulated posts from the forum, a YouTube video, and the instructions from College Hills and was able to get it done in about 4-5hrs but it wasn't worth it. It was a lot work when you're doing this for first time. Also, there's anxiety of screwing something up as you are tugging and banging on a new vehicle. The "extra" screws and clips I had left over when I was finished didn't help either. One place I was held up was removing the bumper (step 12 on the CH instructions), I released the 4 retaining tabs with a pry tool and then was trying release the next 5 tabs with tool but no go. What you actually do with those is just pull the bumper, no need to release anything.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct2HDylJ8Q0
www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/ridgeline/2022/frontgrille.pdf
www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/hpd-grille.228177/#post-3202554

Vehicle Car Tire Wheel Hood

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Grille

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
810 Posts
Finished product looks good though! I did it with the sport grille on my '18 and it was definitely tougher than you would think it would be.

Reactions: Mjrchaos

·
Registered
475 Posts
Grille looks good. My vote is DIY, as I typically favor time to money, and a dealer actually takes both.
I kind of dig "The Riddler" look with the tape too.
Organism Art Cool Cartoon Cg artwork

·
Read Only
1,351 Posts
I switched my grille to the HPD one a few weeks ago and I definitely recommend paying the dealer (quoted $180 labor) to install. I triangulated posts from the forum, a YouTube video, and the instructions from College Hills and was able to get it done in about 4-5hrs but it wasn't worth it.
By the time you've driven to the dealer and waited for them to do it, then driven home, I doubt there would be much time difference. Whenever I do tasks like this, it's not to save money, it's to make sure it's done properly. Chances are if the dealer had done it they would have screwed something up and it would be loose. I think you did the right thing doing it yourself - it looks good and well done.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I switched my grille to the HPD one a few weeks ago and I definitely recommend paying the dealer (quoted $180 labor) to install.
was able to get it done in about 4-5hrs but it wasn't worth it. It was a lot work when you're doing this for first time.
I agree with others that if you're going to switch the grille, you are better off doing it yourself vs. paying the dealership goons to screw it up.
That said, I don't think spending 5 hours of your time plus the cost of the HPD version, is worth the very slightly different look you end up with.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Ridgeline RTL
1 Posts
Agreed. I did mine myself and while now I think it was nice to save the money, at the time I was saying "I should have let Honda do this." I also had a left over screw, but I know where it came from (behind the driver side bumper to the inner fender piece). There are three other screws in this area (I believe) that are still doing their job so I am not too worried.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I switched my grille to the HPD one a few weeks ago and I definitely recommend paying the dealer (quoted $180 labor) to install. I triangulated posts from the forum, a YouTube video, and the instructions from College Hills and was able to get it done in about 4-5hrs but it wasn't worth it. It was a lot work when you're doing this for first time. Also, there's anxiety of screwing something up as you are tugging and banging on a new vehicle. The "extra" screws and clips I had left over when I was finished didn't help either. One place I was held up was removing the bumper (step 12 on the CH instructions), I released the 4 retaining tabs with a pry tool and then was trying release the next 5 tabs with tool but no go. What you actually do with those is just pull the bumper, no need to release anything.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct2HDylJ8Q0
www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/ridgeline/2022/frontgrille.pdf
www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/hpd-grille.228177/#post-3202554

View attachment 427094

View attachment 427092

View attachment 427095
Did mine also myself and the flairs all day 4 hrs taking my time

1 - 12 of 12 Posts