Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fairly new to ROC. I mainly use the RL as my daily driver and forest roads for camping and hiking. Have done a few basic, what I consider essential mods;

• Rear door mod - cheap, straightforward install with excellent benefit
  • OEM Tail gate lock - relatively inexpensive, straightforward install and good benefit
  • JSport front skid plate
Install of the skid plate was not too bad, the front air damn bolts supplied would benefit from being a bit longer (will replace the first time I need to drop the plate).

Main concern on using the skid plate was impact on ground clearance. Took before and after measurements and photos:

• Front plastic curb guard - 10 1/8 inches
  • Front driver side plastic guard - 8 inches
  • Front passenger side plastic guard 8 3/8 inches
  • Front middle lift support - 9 1/2 inches
  • Front downpipe - 8 3/4 inches
  • Center metal plate (under cabin) - 7 3/4 inches
  • With skid plate - 7 1/4 inches
From measurements I made it appears the skid plate lowered GC by about 1/2 inch.

Some thoughts and a question: After crawling under the vehicle and looking at what is stock. Has anyone removed, or thought about removing the plastic air dam and associated plastic protection back to the cross brace.

To me it looks like the plastic air dam is pushing the skid plate down quite a bit. It might be posible in removing the air dam to gain part of that 1/2 inch back.

Thoughts or experince in removing the air dam and plastic back to the cross brace? My thought us they are there to manage dirt and air flow - something the skid plate is now taking care of.

Appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
The air dam is at risk of curb damage but it's relatively easy to remove. It's not, however, the main culprit for GC, as you have shown. It does reduce the angle of approach. I doubt you would notice a measurable change in fuel efficiency with the air dam gone, and the smoothness of the skid plate may compensate for the lost air dam.

The skid plate is good protection at the cost of some lost GC. Jsport's solution is for you to buy their 1.5" front lift. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny a 1.5" front/0.5" rear lift is next on my list. Have reached out to JSport and Traxda tp learn more.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Funny a 1.5" front/0.5" rear lift is next on my list. Have reached out to JSport and Traxda tp learn more.
Last I checked, Jsport offers a single piece 0.75" rear lift for the RL and claims the camber will still be within factory specs. Traxda offers two-piece rear lifts that are easier to install, starting at 0.5" and going up to 2", I believe. But I think anything over 0.75" will take the rear camber out of factory spec such that an aftermarket adjustabe ball joint (?) is recommended. Traxda can advise you on that option. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts