Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....today I installed some LED reverse lights (Amazon B00PGPWMQO) , very happy with them....until a person beside me told me my back running lights weren't on. Brake lights, turn signal lights, and reverse lights all work.

Went to AutoZone and one guy said that I needed an "equalizer." and that LEDs may not work if LEDs were not already on stock. So I just got home and put the OEM bulbs back on and the running lights STILL won't turn on. Turn signals, brake lights, reverse light function.

What did I do wrong? Did I get the wrong bulbs? What do I need to do to fix it?

· Registered
231 Posts
Try contacting the vendor maybe. I have heard that the lower power draw of leds causes issues and that is why the guy recommended a equalizer. Look at the Phillips leds on Amazon. There is some discussion there. Also why I do not mess with this stuff. Not worth the chance of causing a problem.

· Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try contacting the vendor maybe. I have heard that the lower power draw of leds causes issues and that is why the guy recommended a equalizer. Look at the Phillips leds on Amazon. There is some discussion there. Also why I do not mess with this stuff. Not worth the chance of causing a problem.

I will try getting in touch with them thanks. I need to get this fixed asap being that they are running lights, may need to take it to Honda.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
So....today I installed some LED reverse lights (Amazon B00PGPWMQO) , very happy with them....until a person beside me told me my back running lights weren't on. Brake lights, turn signal lights, and reverse lights all work.

Went to AutoZone and one guy said that I needed an "equalizer." and that LEDs may not work if LEDs were not already on stock. So I just got home and put the OEM bulbs back on and the running lights STILL won't turn on. Turn signals, brake lights, reverse light function.

What did I do wrong? Did I get the wrong bulbs? What do I need to do to fix it?
You didn't buy the wrong bulbs !! It's the exact same ones I bought and they are working fine since installed for me ( same link item & everything )

My reverse LED album

Could you somehow "short" something when installed ?? bare-hand touching ?? truck running while bulbs are being replaced ? ..etc. ( just thinking out loud :smile: )

Because even with OEM, your running lights does not work so it can't be the new LED bulbs.

Maybe there's a single fuse for the running lights that blew and need replacing ?? (not sure).

good luck tracking it down ! :wink:

· Premium Member
286 Posts
Take it to your dealer and suck up the $90 to have it diagnosed, noside. $90 is dirt cheap compared to the safety situation you are in driving at night with a dark rear end. This truck may be too new for most auto parts stores to diagnose its electrical system.

My opinion. I hope it doesn't make anyone too angry but I know my limits.

· Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At the dealership, minimum charge of $115 but what can ya do. They are working on it now. I hope it gets fixed soon at a decent price and am able to have the LEDs since they should be able to work with no issues.

· Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just picked up the truck, it's fixed. $172 and 6 hrs later we found out the issue was the LED license plate lights I installed 3 weeks ago wtf. The guy reinstalled the LED reverse lights and OEM plate lights and they work fine. I got the LED plate lights from a kit off eBay that someone recomended here. It also came with interior LED bulbs which I installed and they all work fine. Go figure. I kinda really want the plate lights LED...but not if its one or the other...

Kind of hesitant to try anymore electrical mods now...

· Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The work order states "checked reverse light circuit and all checks were normal. Found blown fuse in parking/tail light circuit. Installed new fuse and it immediately blowed. Checking circuit I found that the customer also installed LED in license plate sockets...the LED were defected. Removed LED from license plate sockets and installed factory recommended bulbs. Reinstalled customer's LED in reverse light sockets and they worked fine."

So...the LED license plate bulbs were defective? Would it be safe to get a better quality pair and try to install? I kind of hate knowing that it's not LED anymore and I know it's possible and has been done.

Thanks a lot for all the advice and help.

· Premium Member
286 Posts
The work order states "checked reverse light circuit and all checks were normal. Found blown fuse in parking/tail light circuit. Installed new fuse and it immediately blowed. Checking circuit I found that the customer also installed LED in license plate sockets...the LED were defected. Removed LED from license plate sockets and installed factory recommended bulbs. Reinstalled customer's LED in reverse light sockets and they worked fine."

So...the LED license plate bulbs were defective? Would it be safe to get a better quality pair and try to install? I kind of hate knowing that it's not LED anymore and I know it's possible and has been done.

Thanks a lot for all the advice and help.
Glad you got it resolved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.