Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put the Retrax cover on my blue truck last night. Took about an hour to install. Very straight forward directions. The parts fit well. At this point I am very pleased. Looks great on the truck. Mechanism works very smoothly.

The folks at Retrax are easy to work with. They shipped the cover in a timely manner. Were happy to answer my stupid questions during the install.

By the way, the hardware kit is in the end of the rail box. (just like it says on the outside of the box I didn't read)

There is a long red shipping wire not mentioned in the install instructions. This wire has to be removed in order to install the cover that goes over the mechanism. This was the only omission I caught during the install.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That is good to hear because I just ordered one for my Ridge yesterday. I got it from Retrax too, even though I found it for $17 cheaper elsewhere. I figured I'd give them the business because they sponsor ROC. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
How much does the cover retract mechanism reduce the bed volume???

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think this has been posted before somewhere. I will measure tonight and try to post some numbers. I can say this, if your needs are tight for bed cubic footage then this cover will not be the one for you. The receiver takes up a fair amount of space near the cab. Problem is, just about all covers limit space and/or access. One nice thing I discovered, the Retrax can be removed in 5 mins or less and only have to remove 4 bolt/screws.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The canister is roughly 12" deep by 9" high. That leaves about 9" below the canister where long items such as ladders, 2x4s, or pipe, can reach all the way to the front of the bed. I have moved a lot of stuff in my truck and the Retrax canister has not been a problem at all. On the contrary, when moving things in bad weather, the Retrax has been terrific! Search for "Retrax" or look through the various Retrax threads and you will find a lot of information about it. Anything that you want to know about it is available. Just read and ask away! There is also a video on the Retrax web site. Just click on the link at the top of this page. You can also order a video tape directly from Retrax by visiting their site.
paguard, good call on ordering directly from Retrax. I am sure that T Mac, and by association all of the members of the ROC, appreciate your support. For those that don't know what that is all about, Retrax is a sponsor of the ROC and they help to pay the bills for bringing this site to us. By ordering from them you help to grease the wheels to help the ROC continue to grow and improve. Make sure that you mention that you found the Retrax on the ROC and thank them for being a sponsor.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I think the Retrax looks especially good on BLUE. I echo everything you said about the product and the company. We are delighted with ours.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Glad you like it. I was very pleased to install mine myself. I don't know a screwdriver from a fork and it only took me ~ 1.5 hrs to install. I had to of course go to Home Depot and get the torx bit half way during the process.
Everybody who see's it loves it. I really going to the Honda dealer and watching all the other owners drool especially the ones who got the OEM cover.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The more I read about the ease of installation, the more I think I am going to give it a try. bonerep (or anyone else who knows), can you tell me what torx bit I need so I can pick it up beforehand? Is a torx bit a standard size? Yep, that's right, I don't know what the heck a torx bit is.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I can't remeber the size. It's like a 40 or so. If you ask Retraxx beforehand I'm sure they'll tell you. I was too stupid to do so. :D Mine is buried in the silverware drawer !!!!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You will need a #40 TORX bit for your socket / ratchet set to install the rear mounting brackets. You will need a #50 TORX bit to install the front mounting brackets where the top from tie-down cleats attach. You can get them at Sears in a small set for between $30 and $50 for 5 or 6 pieces. If you don't have a ratchet and socket set a small 3/8" drive set should cost about $30 for a 12 piece set. Sears always has one set or another on sale. The TORX set will be sold separately. Do whatever you are comfortable with. I am still game for our mini-meet. It's entirely up to you. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
We have enjoyed the Retrax cover for 2 months. It's great. Looking for a minicam and locking tailgate setup.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I picked up a complete set of lifetime guaranteed (whose life??) Torx bits at ACE for $23. That was about what the individual bits were going to cost at Sears.

By the way, Randy at Retrax is really good about answering questions by email. His staff is good on the phone. Good company, highly recommended. Nice to see there are still people who care enough to do good customer service.

Go Tarheels!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
drdk said:
I picked up a complete set of lifetime guaranteed (whose life??) Torx bits at ACE for $23. That was about what the individual bits were going to cost at Sears.

By the way, Randy at Retrax is really good about answering questions by email. His staff is good on the phone. Good company, highly recommended. Nice to see there are still people who care enough to do good customer service.

Go Tarheels!!
Got my Torx bits at Home Depot for about $5 each if I remember correctly.

I still love my Retrax after a couple of months, it looks great, it works great and the VERY minute amount of water that gets by it would hardly dampen a sheet of paper. Customer service at Retrax is fantastic too.

I HIGHLY Recommend the cover AND ordering directly through Randy at Retrax.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Any pics drdk?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Great!! I'm trying to decide on Retrax or not.

I found another cover manufacturer and I need to go to the local dealer to check it out. I also have a number at the factory to call and talk to them. This week has been a mess so maybe next week I can. I think it has more than just 2 panels like the OEM cover which would be nice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I picked up a 10 piece torx set at the Harbor Freight Tools store for $10. Randy also said I would need a 4mm allen wrench for installation. I know I have a metric allen wrenc set somewher gathering dust, so I think I am set to install when it arrives.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Retrax call it the RIGID retractable cover.

Some member says it rattles slightly at 40+MPH, Rattles tolerably at 65+MPH.

What about at high speed 75+ MPH? around here highway traffic speed is over 75MPH.

If the noise is still tolerable, they may have a new customer.

thanks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
bonerep said:
Glad you like it. I was very pleased to install mine myself. I don't know a screwdriver from a fork and it only took me ~ 1.5 hrs to install. I had to of course go to Home Depot and get the torx bit half way during the process.
Everybody who see's it loves it. I really going to the Honda dealer and watching all the other owners drool especially the ones who got the OEM cover.
I love the OEM and would not switch for the Retrax. It does look good though. I still have not heard anyone post how it works when it is full of snow and frozen\thawed\refrozen ice. Obviously not in an issue in California but here it is a big concern. I also like the lock on the OEM.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts