Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed something to hold a roof tent on my Ridgeline. I ordered the Auxpacbo and knew it wouldn’t fit.
I solved the problem by locating 3 M6 threaded holes on each side of my under the plastic strips. It only takes 1 screw to remove and access the 3 holes.
I installed 2” X 3/16” X 48” angle iron peices from Homedepot. The I had a buddy make me 8 angle brakets at about 100 degrees, not 90 degrees. I didn’t use the Auxpacbo mounts. Anyway, this was not an easy build and I don’t recommend it, but it is rock solid and doesn’t look too bad. What do you all think?
Sky Plant Building Wood Tree

Building Window Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tree Sky Wood Plant Tints and shades

Sky Wood Road surface Asphalt Automotive exterior

Sky Building Hood Window Plant

Sky Hood Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

· Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
1,200 Posts
Welcome to the ROC!

Wow, glad you were able to make it work. For those that can't do their own fabrication, you can add Toyota style bed rails which will accommodate several manufacturers racks.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the ROC! Wow, glad you were able to make it work. For those that can't do their own fabrication, you can add Toyota style bed rails which will accommodate several manufacturers racks.
Haha! I would have gone with the Toyota rails had I known they exist! I didn’t see anything like that through Honda or aftermarket. I guess I didn’t know how to search for them. The good news is the cost of the project minus labor was $100 in hardware and $550 for bed rail platform.

· Registered
53 Posts
Haha! I would have gone with the Toyota rails had I known they exist! I didn’t see anything like that through Honda or aftermarket. I guess I didn’t know how to search for them. The good news is the cost of the project minus labor was $100 in hardware and $550 for bed rail platform.
A+ for making it all work. Looks good and it will be unique.

· Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
1,200 Posts
And you have created another option for mounting a rack.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This rooftop tent fad is interesting to me. As someone who's spent probably a few hundred nights in a tent, I really don't see the appeal.
Personally for me it’s the fact it only takes 2 minutes to set up the tent. It keeps us off the ground. We camp in the desert and like the breeze up higher and no scorpions or tarantulas. You can keep a lot of gear in the tent that you don’t have to pack up or unpack. This gives us more time to enjoy and explore the point of interest. We are going on a trip to Montana in the summer from California and I’m looking forward to how easy it will be to go from one place to another. It will be more time relaxing instead of setting up and breaking down camp.

· Registered
16 Posts
Very nice - creative solution and slick outcome! I have a similar challenge trying to install my chase rack. Did you end up drilling access holes through your bed garnish to tie in the rack mounts to the bed walls? Or do the angle pieces and brackets bolt into the rack mounts somehow, so no truck drilling was needed? I could not tell from your pics exactly how those pieces tie in together. Thanks.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice - creative solution and slick outcome! I have a similar challenge trying to install my chase rack. Did you end up drilling access holes through your bed garnish to tie in the rack mounts to the bed walls? Or do the angle pieces and brackets bolt into the rack mounts somehow, so no truck drilling was needed? I could not tell from your pics exactly how those pieces tie in together. Thanks.
Under the side rails there are 3 M6 threaded holes on each side of the truck. On the under side the plastic bed cover, you need to drill out where the threaded holes are located. I used a small drill bit to go through the threaded holes to locate the spot to drill out. I clamped the angle iron with clamps, then I used a small drill bit to mark the spot to locate all the M6 threaded holes. I then pulled the angle iron down and drilled by the location marked with with the little drill bit. I then bolted the angle iron with 30 mm M6 screws. I forgot to mention that I painted the angle iron to make sure it didn’t rust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts