Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the OEM black die cast Aluminum running boards today( they have a very rough bed- liner material sprayed on)

This is good for grip but I've already lost some skin getting out scraping my leg on them so I'll have to alter my exit strategy.

They are very heavy/sturdy and come in an enormous 8 foot long box! ( no instructions are included, Handa has a PDF)
I got them from my local dealer who had them in stock. I negotiated a price with the parts guy just about the same as Handa Accessories with shipping. I simply laid down in my driveway to install them. About 30 minutes and a few busted knuckles later they were installed. My kit was missing one bolt so my dealer ordered me another. You have to cut 6 small half circles off from the underside plastic panels for the 6 brackets to have clearance. I used an old steak knife to make the cuts. There is no need to remove undercoating material as the instructions state because it's not placed in those areas. Install the brackets first loosely then lay the running boards on top and tighten every thing down little by little. The driver's side brackets seemed to go on easier. The passenger side took a little bit of finesse to get the bolts lined up without cross threading. They don't stick out very much and only seem to reduce ground clearance by 1/2" since they tuck up in there pretty tight. Now I can wash my roof without a step ladder or crawling into the bed. I'm hoping they will also help reduce door dings?

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
Reactions: Shineaholic

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I really like the cast running boards. Now, if the dealer would only call me back with a price...
What did you end up paying?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Can anyone with these OEM running boards measure how much clearance they have above the ground? Thanks!
From the ground to the underside of the running boards is 9.5" on both sides which I think is pretty good.

The exhaust is at least hanging 3-4" lower than these.
I'm not too worried about needing huge ground clearance or approach angles since my biggest climb on my typical day is the stupid steep curb leading to my driveway.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I got my running boards today! If I would have remembered that it only takes a half hour I would have installed them already! Oh well, really looking forward to the weekend now!

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
I like the look of these! However, I tested them at the Denver Auto Show and the material finish is so rough I am sure anyone wearing shorts might be in for a nasty scrape on their leg if they brush up against them.

·
Registered
741 Posts
$520 , you can always negotiate a much better price in person and when they have said item in stock.
Depends on the dealer... I went to mine and asked how much a pair of the OEM all-weather mats would cost and they quoted me the "list" price and I said, no thanks... I can beat it by about $60 at Bernardi. The parts guy said "we hear that a lot." Not even a peep from him on saying they can negotiate anything.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I installed mine today also. SBDD. (same boards, different day)
I love them! Went on very easy but I did have to open up the two holes that bolted to the truck on the middle bracket on the passenger side! The rest went in like cake, I was surprised one gave me a problem. Dremeled it out a bit and bingo! maybe 45 minutes including dremeling.
BE Wheels get balanced tomorrow or saturday. and yep, its dirty.

Bah! Sorry about the crappy pics, I hate crappy pics when showing an item. Will take better pics today...and tomorrow...and sunday...:grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Depends on the dealer... I went to mine and asked how much a pair of the OEM all-weather mats would cost and they quoted me the "list" price and I said, no thanks... I can beat it by about $60 at Bernardi. The parts guy said "we hear that a lot." Not even a peep from him on saying they can negotiate anything.
I bring with me a printed out internet price and nicely( with tact) go back and forth a couple times before settling on a price we are both happy with. When you factor in the ridiculous shipping price on large items, the internet doesn't save that much even without tax. I usually do better at the dealer and many times I luck out when the item I want is in stock.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts