Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Actually, I had intended to install it today. I was just unpacking it to make sure I had everything and all of a sudden it was on the truck. Seriously, the most difficult part was unpacking the boxes (two). The items were so well packed even UPS couldn't damage the tonneau.
This has to be the easiest top I have had to install and use. I had a solid tonneau on my Nissan and it was a pain. Whenever I needed to haul anything it took two strong men and a boy to get the thing off! The Retrax is so easy to get out of the way that I anticipate very seldom needing to remove it. If I'm carefull, I can lift it out myself, it's that light.
I did need to go to the hardware store to get T-50 Torx socket to fit my ratchet. I had the T-40 already. That was the most time consuming part of the operation. I cannot get out of that store without hearing six new jokes and a bunch of bull from my friends there. Always enjoyable, however.
I have only discovered one problem. It involves, to no ones surprise, the bed extender. There is a nylon stop on the drivers side of the Retrax rail that is supposed to keep the top from overextending but it keeps the extender from flipping over while in the rear position. The front position is pretty useless with the Retrax in place. I think I can use a cutoff wheel and shorten the stop and the bolt that holds it in place. I think I'll check with Randy at ReTrax before I do.
One last item. I read the instructions and it had provisions for all sorts of adjustment to assure a tight fit. I found mine fit perfectly right out of the box. I was really impressed. This cover is of a quality that lives up to that of the truck it's mounted on. To the folks at ReTrax...nice going guys!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I installed mine this week too. Installing it singlehanded (because my better half was out of town) was a bit of a balancing act but I managed it ok. I must say, it looks sharp. Did you install the drain tubes? I haven't done that yet. I also got the tailgate seal but haven't put that on either yet.

I was a little surprised by the noise the cover makes when you're doing any reasonable speed. You can only hear it with the rear window open but I think that the cover is being subjected to lifting forces as the air moves over the vehicle and competing downward pressure by the vacuum created in the bed, so in general it rattles a fair bit. If you angle your rear-view mirror you can see the surface of the cover shimmering.

L

·
0 Posts
Ok...tell me...is virtually waterproof?? I really need it dry for the business I am in. Right now what doesn't fit in the back seat with the seats up I have to drive Todd's Ford Exploder! :eek:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've been holding out for that other brand roll-top cover that is powder coated thinking it might look better on the truck. How glossy is the Retrax cover? Do you think it will just look all scratched up after a few car washes?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Yes, it is very shiny and yes it does scratch easily. I would not go through a brush type car wash with the bed covered. I would retract it and let the bed get wet. The nylon brush would scratch the heck out of it. As to water tight, mine is not quite water tight but if I spent a little more time adjusting the side rails I think that it could be. Some members have added silicone sealer to their installation. That certainly would make it water tight. If you had the tailgate seal I bet that you could haul live fish in the bed! The drain tubes are simple to install. Just drill a 1/2" hole in the existing rubber covers for the bolts that hold the bed in place. If you have stuff in the bed that could be damaged by a tablespoon of water on the sides of the bed, put a semi-ridgid bed mat in the bed and let the few drops of water that might get past the front or side gaskets go under the mat. The only evidence of water leaks that I see are when I wash the truck and rinse very thoroughly. Sometimes there are some signs of water leaking past the gaskets on the sides of the bed. It is never enough to collect or pool on the bed itself. If I were to drive for an extended period of time in very heavy rain it might be similar to the amount of water that the truck sees when I wash and rinse it. In no case would I ever expect items carried in the center of the bed to get wet. If you keep stuff that could be damaged by a little bit of water away from the front and side rails you will not have any problems.
Ther are lots of retrax pictures on this site in other threads. Search "Retrax" and I am sure that you will see what you are looking for. If not, ask for the specific photo or information that you need and I am sure that one of us will provide whatever you want.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Empyrean said:
I've been holding out for that other brand roll-top cover that is powder coated thinking it might look better on the truck. How glossy is the Retrax cover? Do you think it will just look all scratched up after a few car washes?
I had given serious consideration to the type of top you mentioned until I saw a sample at the Truck trick shop. It looks great but...the sample had obviously been opened and closed many times and it sounded like an old tin shed in the process. This thing was indoors and it still had binding tracks and seemed very "loosey goosey" to me. I also think the neighbors would be complaining about the noise during a rain storm. As far as the gloss is concerned I prefer it. Looks sharp. I have two greenhouses made of polycarbonate and I know it is durable. If you wax it and keep it fairly clean it should look good for a long time.

As far as leak proof is concerned I don't think that will be a problem. The problem will be openning it when it's raining. There will be no way to protect things from that. My tilt-up tonneau did a fair job as long as there was no wind. I don't know about where you live but here when it rains it generally blows like heck. Nothing will stay dry under an open tonneau of any sort in those conditions.

The Retrax may not be right for everyone and it isn't perfect. Then again, few things in this life are. I just wanted you all to know the installation was easy and the results suited my tastes. Rememer I've been driving a truck for years, not a Lexus. I'm in hog heaven with this new Ridgeline. It's "more than I'm used to and more than I expect", to steal a phrase!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Again, I agree. If you keep it waxed (I use Dry-Wasg-and-Guard) it will stay looking great for a long time. Just dont drag a dirty rag over it or slide anything over it any more than you would the hood of your truck. Apply a little candle wax to the side rails and it glides open and closed very smothely.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ultra-HOG said:
Apply a little candle wax to the side rails and it glides open and closed very smothely.
Excellent suggestion. I always keep a candle in my tool kit. People will ask me if I'm preparing for another black-out. When I use it they generally say, "Oh, now I get it."

·
Registered
50 Posts
Spritegeezer said:
Actually, I had intended to install it today. I was just unpacking it to make sure I had everything and all of a sudden it was on the truck. Seriously, the most difficult part was unpacking the boxes (two). The items were so well packed even UPS couldn't damage the tonneau.
This has to be the easiest top I have had to install and use. I had a solid tonneau on my Nissan and it was a pain. Whenever I needed to haul anything it took two strong men and a boy to get the thing off! The Retrax is so easy to get out of the way that I anticipate very seldom needing to remove it. If I'm carefull, I can lift it out myself, it's that light.
I did need to go to the hardware store to get T-50 Torx socket to fit my ratchet. I had the T-40 already. That was the most time consuming part of the operation. I cannot get out of that store without hearing six new jokes and a bunch of bull from my friends there. Always enjoyable, however.
I have only discovered one problem. It involves, to no ones surprise, the bed extender. There is a nylon stop on the drivers side of the Retrax rail that is supposed to keep the top from overextending but it keeps the extender from flipping over while in the rear position. The front position is pretty useless with the Retrax in place. I think I can use a cutoff wheel and shorten the stop and the bolt that holds it in place. I think I'll check with Randy at ReTrax before I do.
One last item. I read the instructions and it had provisions for all sorts of adjustment to assure a tight fit. I found mine fit perfectly right out of the box. I was really impressed. This cover is of a quality that lives up to that of the truck it's mounted on. To the folks at ReTrax...nice going guys!
I ordered a Retrax cover this week but got a copy of the install instructions ahead of time. I noticed that the drain tubes are installed in the cover of the bed mount bolts. I don't like the idea of doing this because it may corrode the bolts and was also wondering if it drains well enough. Has anyone installed a cover and located the drain tubes in a different area? I would be interested in the location and any pictures you may have.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Can't express enough how not having any photo's kills the excitment of this thread. No offense, but, having documented your installation would greatly help the rest of us. Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DWdrums said:
Can't express enough how not having any photo's kills the excitment of this thread. No offense, but, having documented your installation would greatly help the rest of us. Thanks
Sorry to disappoint you. I'll just keep it to myself in future.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
In our defense (I installed mine without pictures too) it's really hard to take pictures while you're wrestling with the thing (or at least it was for me as I did it single-handedly), and there's not actually much to take pictures of as it's so easy to install.
So, here's some post-install pictures. The only thing I didn't like about the product is the solution for blocking up the bolt recess half way along the top of the bed. The rail goes across it, so you have to block it up to prevent water ingress. A bit of stick on foam does not do it for me, so I'm going to try and find some hole plugs. I also installed the optional tailgate gasket as it was only $28.

[Edit] - I forgot to mention that the cover does rattle at speed, although you only hear it if you have the back window open.

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Cargo Net

How do you like that cargo net? Is it stretchy? What did it set you back?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts