Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Ridgeline RTS and I was wondering if anybody knew of a way to add a navigation system to it (OEM or aftermarket). If it is aftermarket would the six-disc in-dash system still work???

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've been very happy with the Magellan 700. There is a 760 available now that is supposed to be quite good.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Anyone know if Honda will put in the nav unit on a RL, didn't think I wanted when I purchased but now I'm starting to think I should have went for it

·
Registered
125 Posts
I mean, I already own my ridge if I were to go to the dealership and ask to have the nav unit installed could they do it. Or would it just be cheaper to get an alpine or pioneer indash now

·
Registered
626 Posts
AFAIK, you can't add on the OEM Navi to your RL -- it's built-in at the factory; dealers can't install it.

I would suggest (as others have) adding on an after-market Navi; you might be able to find someone to do it in-dash, if you can find a spot for it... The RTL with Navi has the CD changer behind it, which is how it all fits together...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If you do a search there is a link to another forum where someone installed the factory navigation system into their Honda produced car they purchased without navigation. I think they decided in the end it would have been easier and cheaper to trade their car with little miles to get one with navigation. But I think for them it was more about the adventure than the actual result. As far as I have been told Honda will not install this for you, so aftermarket is definitely your only viable option at this point.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Personally I really like the look of the in-dash system but not the cost or work involved to get that sucker in there. So, I am leaning toward the TomTom 700. You can find it on-line for around $700. Plus its portable and comes with US and Canda maps (not a feature in the US NAV version). The TT700 also has Bluetooth compatibly and will bond with a BT phone for hands free (sort of) use. You can also subscribe to their Plus Service which will give you real time road and traffic reports as well as weather and other features.

They can be found at http://www.tomtom.com

·
Registered
626 Posts
The voice-activated components are also a lot of fun. Tell it to "find nearest titty bar" and enjoy the interpretation by the Nav... :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
flymuck said:
I would suggest (as others have) adding on an after-market Navi; you might be able to find someone to do it in-dash, if you can find a spot for it... The RTL with Navi has the CD changer behind it, which is how it all fits together...
Would the stock CD changer work with an after-market in-dash CD player?

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have the tomtom 700 and it is fantastic. Bluetooth works well and it's a snap to setup. I had the roadmate 700, but the tomtom 700 is much better.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Aftermarket Nav Unit W/backup Camera

Just go to ebay, here is the name of the unit.

PIONEER 6.5" AVIC-N2 TS NAVIGATION W/ ND-BC1 & CD-VC1
COMPLETE PACKAGE W/ REAR VIEW CAMERA & REMOTE CONTROL.

When I get my RTS this is what I plan on getting

Enjoy
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re the navigation system:

Perhaps Honda can retrofit one in. Check out www.crutchfield.com. They have several after market GPS gizmos. I use my laptop computer, Street Atlas, and a Delorme GPS receiver. Works great! I can talk to it and it talks to me, so I don't have to look at it to use it. I intend to get a pocket PC with appropriate software and down load maps to it. Then I won't have so much clutter in my Ridgline or my car.

Good luck,

JIm Hinkson
[email protected]

·
Registered
65 Posts
I will be installing the 5435 Eclipse in 2 weeks. The installer found a nice bezel that when painted will look factory. Sirius will be on the head unit and it seems to have a little bit more volume than the factory. I'll lose the XM and the CD changer. It is a size called "double din", which means that it takes up double the regular radio area.

http://www.eclipse-web.com/

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Re: Aftermarket Nav Unit W/backup Camera

chrissalvatore said:
Just go to ebay, here is the name of the unit.

PIONEER 6.5" AVIC-N2 TS NAVIGATION W/ ND-BC1 & CD-VC1
COMPLETE PACKAGE W/ REAR VIEW CAMERA & REMOTE CONTROL.

When I get my RTS this is what I plan on getting

Enjoy
Chris
I'm with Chris on Pioneer systems, I had used one almost 2 years and to date is still Pioneers top of the line(just 1K cheaper now:eek: ..... hands down best i have seen. touch screen and voice activated, better than stock RL. Only reason I dont have it is that my wife wants it in her car:) check out the link below
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4023_1986436,00.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nav

I got my RL about a month ago and love it. Mine did not come with the NAV system but I did have a Garmin 2720. Now that I have used one of these systems I wish I had added the Honda unit to my list of needs when I got the truck. Question is how expensive and how hard would it be to add the navigation system now?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Re: Nav

To get the full functionality its going to cost you. You will need to get the HU, overhead compartment (where the mic is), new steering wheel (for voice control buttons). You might want to consider an after-market unit, like the Alpine NVE-N872A, Eclipse AVN5435 or the Pioneer AVIC-N2.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts