Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, i havent posted in a while about something i did to my RL , frankly i thought i was done but i just had to put the ipod in the truck, lol and the isimple met my needs and exactly what i wanted, i wanted to use my HU to control my ipod not visa versa, lol

The isimple is awesome and the cheapes i found it was at autotoys.com $133 and maybe some change, i cant remember, lol , thanks to the other poster i figured out how to use it after i installed it , lol it works great and looks cool to , im not a fan of stuff attached to my dash so i concealed mine , u dont really need it visually being u can see what is playing on the HU

basically i typed everything in the pics to help u with your install if u choose to go with this unit, it really is simple and u dont need any special tools to do it with as u will see

1st step , pull of face plate

2nd step, unplug all plugs behind face plate, u have two in the middle , one near top right , two bottom right , two middle bottom, i believe that is it , lol

they look like this , the ac one is bigger is all in the middle bottom

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Installing a I-simple ipod adapter , how to do for u all!! save your money its ea

3rd step , unscrew the 5 screws holding the HU in place

4th step , hook your adaptors up, and here are some pics of mine

pics of the install and how to do it easily

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Installing a I-simple ipod adapter , how to do for u all!! save your money its ea

this is where and how i did the adapter box and long cable

now u are done and ready to enjoy your music, it really only took me about an hour , only because i am an amateur and took my time!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

These are pics of how it should display for u and how cool it looks , enjoy!! and happy halloween , i now will listen to my tunes while riding my little girl around for trick or treating, lol

·
Registered
155 Posts

Outstanding installation! You made it look simple. I will find a way to screw it up though. Bravo!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

thanks for your kind words, i spent more time doing the write up than the install, lol

and i spent all night playing with the thing, u can actually do sort of a menu on this thing to, u can simply hit fm button and then xm and then immediately hit tuner and scroll through your playlist and it displays on the HU and the ipod at the same time , that is very cool, u dont even need to have access to your ipod at all , it can just stay safely in the tray with the door shut

im very serious u cant screw it up man, save the 50 bucks for install and feel the tim allen effect man, and just grin when u are done , lol

then send the 50 bucks to buy something else cool or some music for your ipod

wanted to note this package comes with rca as well but i didnt use them i just installed them and tucked them in the back in case i did want to use them one day, but u can hook a dvd portable up to it and or i assume one of the over heads or inside the seat deals to it to , this is so u can listen to it through your car speakers but if u are like me my little one rocks with me usually, lol or puts here headset on to watch her shows while im driving

madi05

·
Registered
42 Posts

Awesome write up! I plan on installing mine tomorrow. It just arrived from autotoys today.

I do plan on using the extra rca's for my sirius tuner. I still haven't decided where I am going to mount though. :confused:

I will probably install it next to the HU with one of the brackets available from a few different companines. I thought about the "not an ashtray" pocket but it isn't big enough to allow me to remove the tuner from the dock easily. I have sirius docks at home and in my other car. I need to be able to remove it easily but I also want it secure. I guess that limits my options with the RL.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Thanks a lot. This is an awesome write up as I was looking to install mine this weekend. My only concern is where to mount the ISimple adapter box. Anyone have any suggestions on where a good place would be to mount it so that you can easily remove it without taking apart the dash? I heard that you can do updates on it from time to time by connecting it to your computer via USB. I would prefer to have easy access to it if possible. I saw someone mounted it under their glove box but I have no idea how.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts

These are pics of how it should display for u and how cool it looks , enjoy!! and happy halloween , i now will listen to my tunes while riding my little girl around for trick or treating, lol
madi05,
Do the song titles/artist name scroll across the display?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

thanks for posting madi,

quick question, why didnt you put it in the how-to section?

.....I always search that section for threads like this, but they are always somewhere else! (another example: foglight install, nothing in "how-to" but multiple how-to threads in "accessories" wtf???)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

i guess it can go to there to but i just felt it is electronics and this is where i would look to see about ipod stuff , lol

the name of the artist is all i have tried and or cared about,, it has pl-list and other stuff u can use ,, i doubt u will have both artist name and song title in display at the same time , probably one or the other imo

it also has album as an option if i can recall,, lol im getting old and right now busy for halloween for my kid, lol

happy halloween everyone !

madi05

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks a lot. This is an awesome write up as I was looking to install mine this weekend. My only concern is where to mount the ISimple adapter box. Anyone have any suggestions on where a good place would be to mount it so that you can easily remove it without taking apart the dash? I heard that you can do updates on it from time to time by connecting it to your computer via USB. I would prefer to have easy access to it if possible. I saw someone mounted it under their glove box but I have no idea how.
if u want it outside the dash u could probably put that in the little tray as well ,, just u would have to cut a bigger square hole in there to fit the adaptor that feeds to the HU ,, if u went to the glove box it would probably barely make it there as far as wire is concerned, it might but u may need to get some kind of extension harness if they make one ,, the box itself would be easy to get in the glove box if the wires permit

just trying to help

madi05

·
Registered
42 Posts

I installed mine yesterday. It is a very easy install.

I removed the glove box and looked around for a good spot to mount the I-simple but I couldn't find one. I ended up installing it in between the radio and tray. I used some velcro tape to secure it in place. There is plenty of room and makes it easy to run the wires since I ran the Ipod cable into the tray.

I wanted to mount it where there would be easy access to the usb connector but I couldn't find a perfect place. There are a few spots behind the glove box that might work but none that I felt were perfect.

In the end I decided it is easy enough to remove the dash and radio if I have to update it. Once you do it you will see what I mean. I can get the radio out in less than five minutes now that I know how to do it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

well im glad it worked out for u,, i told u to save your money and u did , lol now go buy some music and enjoy !!

·
Registered
6 Posts

madi05,
Do the song titles/artist name scroll across the display?
I hope a future update will add this feature, but on mine if the title of the track or artist name is longer than the amount of displayable characters on the display, it is just cut off.

In addition, I wish the unit would scroll/display both the artist and title, instead of having to choose one or the other.
The only way I've seen to get around it is to include the artist in the title on the ID3 information. But then you run into the displayable characters limitation, and then your mp3's looks sloppy when you play them with a media player with a proper implementation.

Hmmm... popped my 1st post cherry...

·
Registered
4,076 Posts

Hmmm... popped my 1st post cherry...
We told you it wouldn't hurt...;)

·
Registered
2 Posts

Awesome post! Really easy install, especially with your help and pictures. I wish every DIY post was like this - do you have one for installing recessed lighting? :)

The only other thing I'll add is about the radio code. If you plan on totally disconnecting the radio (I did to make drilling easier, but it wasn't necessary and I now wish I hadn't), double-check that you have the security code you'll need to get the radio working when you're done. I didn't know that until I plugged everything back in, and now don't have my code.

I can now see that my iPod is charging (on the iPod itself), but won't be able to jam until the dealership opens tomoroow morning :-(. Some cars evidently have a sticker in the glovebox, viewable from the driver's seat, but I wasn't so lucky. I guess that's a good thing, cus' the theives wouldn't have had it either :). The radio code card I have with my manual is blank - I suppose that was something someone was supposed to do when I bought the car?

1 - 20 of 240 Posts