Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Norm said:
Has anyone installed an "aux" jack in an RTL - if so, how did you connect it to the radio?
I started a thread on this and it died. We (with xm and without Nav) are all waiting for the aftermarket people to build a pass through harness that will allow an input. The Honda mp3 player uses some sort of pass through connection so it appears to be possible. I am still entertained by XM so I have not missed my mp3 and audio books yet. I may have to get an FM transmitter. I saw one at Costco for $25 that has a usb plug right on the end of the power plug. It looks like you can just stick a usb mini-drive in and listen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW - I did an oops - I meant an RTS.

I looked at the instructions for installing the MP3 player (local dealer printed them out for me). It looks like what is needed is a plug that fits into the back of the radio. Just wondering if a) I am correct and b) if anyone knows where to find the plug (unless Honda comes up with a pigtail :) )

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
bliss53 said:
I started a thread on this and it died. We (with xm and without Nav) are all waiting for the aftermarket people to build a pass through harness that will allow an input. The Honda mp3 player uses some sort of pass through connection so it appears to be possible. I am still entertained by XM so I have not missed my mp3 and audio books yet. I may have to get an FM transmitter. I saw one at Costco for $25 that has a usb plug right on the end of the power plug. It looks like you can just stick a usb mini-drive in and listen.
Hello Bliss53, There is a solution posted regarding this issue. BamaRidge has photos and a great description on the solution. The one thing that may not appeal to you is the solution does require you to disconnect the XM function of your headunit. There are auxiliary adapters available that connect to the 14 pin connector behind your headunit. Currently, the 14 pin male connector is being occupied by the XM unit. All you need to do is disconnect the XM and plug in the adapter. The unit I have connected is a BlitzSafe but I have heard P.I.E. also makes an adapter that works. Do a search in this forum and you will find all the information you need.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I will not give up my XM. I would like to add an aux jack.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Electrically this does not sound like a big deal at all. A simple A/B switch to switch the low level audio inputs should do the trick. There are lots of them available for the home market. Same idea though. The cosmetics of the switch itself is the tricky part, aside from maintaining the proper shielding and extending the wire. Making it plug and play as opposed to a one-off custom project is another story.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I'm going to figure it out at some point. I have the wiring diagrams. Right now it's at the bottom of my priority list.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks for the info. I must defer to those members who have a priority list and the ability to accomplich the technical things on that list. I too am not willing to give up the XM. I am also waiting for a proclip mount for my PDA phone and a Thule fit kit so I can use all of the attachments I already own.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
Making it plug and play as opposed to a one-off custom project is another story.
Might not be too hard if you use a stereo headphone jack with one of the switches built in.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Plug-and-Play as into the head unit, the new jack / switch, and the existing wire without having to cut and splice the existing wire. That is where the difficulty lies. Obtaining the correct male and female connectors can be difficult if they are not "standard" connectors that are readily available. If an aftermarket manufacturer comes out with a product, that would make life easy. Until then, we are on our own.

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
The RTL w/Navi comes WITH the aux. input standard, so this is a non-issue. I've read numerous threads on this and the majority of responses involve limiting the functionality of the stock HU and/or control, splicing wires or having a unit (iPod, port. XM radio, etc.) hanging around with wires strewn all across the interior. i don't know about the rest of you but I'm not about to start cutting into the wiring harness of my $30k+ RTL over a frigging auxiliary input OR have it look like some old junker with wires all over the place.

It's hard to believe that Honda has not addressed this as it has been a concern since day 1. The only suitable solution which I have found (but have not yet had delivered) is the USA Spec PA11-Hon2Y. According to the guys at Crutchfield, this is a pass-thru unit which mounts in the glove box, keeps XM, cd, steering wheel controls functional and allows you to connect an iPod OR a non-iPod mp3 player. No splicing, no FM modulation.

·
Registered
174 Posts
VH-Honda-Fan said:
I've read numerous threads on this and the majority of responses involve limiting the functionality of the stock HU and/or control, splicing wires or having a unit (iPod, port. XM radio, etc.) hanging around with wires strewn all across the interior. i don't know about the rest of you but I'm not about to start cutting into the wiring harness of my $30k+ RTL over a frigging auxiliary input OR have it look like some old junker with wires all over the place.

It's hard to believe that Honda has not addressed this as it has been a concern since day 1. The only suitable solution which I have found (but have not yet had delivered) is the USA Spec PA11-Hon2Y. According to the guys at Crutchfield, this is a pass-thru unit which mounts in the glove box, keeps XM, cd, steering wheel controls functional and allows you to connect an iPod OR a non-iPod mp3 player. No splicing, no FM modulation.
This is a very old thread. There are many newer more applicable threads that deal with this issue.

You may personally minimize the importance of a "frigging" aux input, but to me it is THE MOST IMPORTANT modification to a non-nav Ridgeline, mainly because it was the biggest oversight by Honda in the interior.

Although Honda still has cavemen running it's electronics division, there are multiple aftermarket solutions that require no splicing and won't leave your truck "looking like a junker."

I think the best (but not perfect) solution right now for Ridgelines WITH XM WITH Sunroof WITHOUT NAV is the P.I.E. X3 with a Honda harness. It gives you THREE switchable AUX inputs and preserves XM function, and does essentially what was presented manually in the Acura Forum linked by BamaRidge.

Read about this device here: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piex3auxconv.html

Note that if you have a different version of the Ridgeline you SHOULD NOT use this solution.

The headunit relies on an "I'm Here" signal from the XM tuner (behind the back seat) to allow the AUX input audio to function. You don't need a subscription to XM, you just need to leave the tuner in the truck and leave it connected for the X3 to work.

Again, if you don't have this specific model of Ridgeline this IS NOT the best solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I came across this thread but see it is quite outdated and wanted to follow up. I recently purchased a 2008 Ridgeline (I believe it's an RTL or RTS). It came with a stock radio that appears to have a 6disc changer, XM functionality, NO navigation, and the ability to to add an AUX in some way. I could care less about XM. We live in a world of streaming services now, I just need the ability to connect my phone to the vehicle (preferably via a cable). Is this possibly, either by aftermarket cable or by some other kind of workaround that may have been tried by someone in this group? Thanks for the help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts