Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When buying my Ridgeline, I figured I'd save $300 or so by doing a self install on the fog lamps, so here's the story.

I got the kit from our friends at HandA Accessories. It comes complete with the relay and wiring harness, but the switch is extra and should be chosen according to your trucks interior color. Unlike some accessory sites, the HandA site specifically asks which color you want.

Removing the bumper is a breeze but make sure you have a blanket to put it on. Don't worry about supporting it while you undo the fasteners, bolts and screws as it remains clipped to the vehicle and needs a little persuasion to come off. It's not heavy either, weighing about 8lbs. I used a screwdriver wrapped in a rag to pry out the seven clips that run along in front of the radiator.

Once the bumper is removed, the location for the each light is clearly marked. The instructions say you need a 40mm hole saw, but this being the US and therefore metrically-challenged, I went with a 1 1/2" (38mm) saw. Before drilling I used a drawing-pin to mark the centre of each hole and to give the drill bit a guide. I could actually push the pin all the way through the bumper by hand - we're not talking thick plastic here. The finished elliptical holes don't have to be as precise as you may think reading the instructions as they will be covered by the trim. I used a hacksaw to cut between the 38mm holes and a rounded file to finish off the edges, a little inside the elliptical outline. Fitting the lights is easy, but mixing your left and rights is easy too when you're working on the back of the bumper. Just remember that left = driver side.

The most difficult piece turned out to be the fuse / relay box assembly. Between fiddly little clips and grease covered connectors, I found my patiences wearing thin as connectors refused to disconnect due to slippery fingers. It was not helped by my pushing one of the wires into the wrong hole on one of the connectors. They're not really designed to come out again so that cost me 15 minutes of cursing and annoyance. Be very careful when you get to this point. Removing the bottom cover of the relay box requires a little brute force but you have to be careful about putting too much strain on the wiring. My fingers were crossed when I fired up the truck after I was all done.

Once the relay box mods were done, the rest was fairly straight forward. Routing the harness is easy although the instructions refer to an existing connector being taped down with blue tape. It was actually black. When refitting the bumper make sure that the rubber wheel well lining is tucked inside the wheel arch. I was able to hold the bumper, connect the fog lights and refit without assistance although a helping hand would have made it easier. Fitting the fog light switch harness is a little awkward as you have get right down next to the pedals to see a connector on the left side of the foot well above the foot rest. The connector needs to be removed to have a couple of wires inserted into it. There's also a little rewiring of the cruise control switch into the new fog light harness, so don't think you can get away without disconnecting and removing the lower dashboard panel.

A minor point - the fog light switch latches, so the lamps will come on again if that's how you left them when you last used your truck with the headlamps on. The switch has a light but, like the cruise control switch, it's tucked down nearly out of sight by your left knee, and as there is no dashboard indicator it will be easy to forget that the lights are on.

I believe that rear-fog lamps are as important, if not more important as front-ones, so if anyone has an after market solution for those, I'd be interested to hear it.

Pictures follow:

Attachments

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,351 Posts
Nice pictures and install summary. I am going to move this to the "Mods, Installs, and How tos" topic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, very nice pictures and write up. It is one of the last options I want to put on my RL. I just can't bare the thought of cutting up that beautiful bumper cover :(

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Very nice job!! Well documented. I plan to install the accessory grill and this will aid me on removal of the bumper. Extremely helpful pix too!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Message for Lingered 1, Yes I have info on Red Rear Fogs Lamps as I have been using them for years now. A great SAFETY feature when you are caught out in adverse weather conditions, very popular in Europe and standard equipment on some vehicles. Just type Red Rear Fog Lamps into Google. I did purchase the PIAA Deno Red Rear Fog lamp (LED) I was not impressed. My first pick is the one offered by KC Lites. I mounted mine so it's removable (in the Hitch Receiver) here is the link to KC lites (when site loads type Red Rear Fog Lamp into their search engine.
http://www.kchilites.com
DWdrums said:
NIIIICE play by play. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
275 Posts
How long did this entire process take to complete? I was looking through the fog lamp install pdf and there are 16 pages and 56 steps!! It looks like some involved wiring and disassembly of not only the bumper but fuse terminal mods and runs.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ridge Man said:
...very popular in Europe and standard equipment on some vehicles....
Thanks for the info. Actually, having at least one rear fog lamp is compulsory in Europe. Vehicles at the cheaper end of the scale usually have a single fog and a single back-up light, whereas many will have dual filament 5w/21w rear lights and a separate brake light, afterall, you don't need back lights and rear log lights. Maybe if the European market gets the Ridgeline, Honda will offer a different rear light cluster. I've never understood why such a simple safety addition is not mandatory in the US.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jch said:
How long did this entire process take to complete?
I'd say about 3 1/2 hours all in. A hour and a half for the bumper - I was really taking my time so as not to screw it up. There was a picture of a Ridgeline somewhere on this site where the light cutouts were visible below the trim. The relay box took the longest time of any individual step. Removing the bottom cover, the two connectors and cable locks is very fiddly due to the grease and having to pinch release tabs and pull the connector (not the cables!!) at the same time. And pushing the fog light harness into the wrong connector hole didn't help. I think that on a scale of 1 to 10 for difficulty, I'd rate the whole job at a 7. No special tools are required and everything is relatively easy to get too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A very good addition Lingered_I. Since you are now the fog install guru maybe you know- Is it possible to change the lens (I assume OEM is fog) to an aftermarket driving such as pia etc? Will hardware accept similar size lens maybe?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BluRidge said:
Is it possible to change the lens (I assume OEM is fog)
The oem lens is clear with fluting around the edges of the reflector to get the desired wide angle light spread. I've attached a slightly blurred picture. Are you looking to have driving lamps instead of fog?
If you look at the earlier picture that shows the back of the unit you'll see that is attached to the mounting frame with two screws that allow it to pivot, and a thumbscrew to set the vertical angle. The frame screws to two pillars that are already part of the bumper, and is also fixed with two self tapping screws that go through holes that you have to drill. The trim then is then fastened to the frame and not the bumper. I don't know if you could find an after market replacement that would be adaptable to the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
I suggested to my wife that I'd like the fog lights for my birthday which is two days away, and she gave me the go ahead! So here we go...I found the cheapest price at www.1sthondaparts.com for the fog lights and switch ($237.95 + $10.43 S/H = $248.38). The second thing I did was call my local Honda dealership and asked if they had the parts in stock. Pat (the dude who answered the phone) said that they had a set and it would cost me $332.00 for the fog lights and $25.00 for the switch--a grand total of $357.00 (not including tax)! I asked if he would match internet pricing in which he said to bring in proof. I printed out the necessary online documentation to include the shipping costs and presented it to him. The first thing he said was, "I should've mentioned that I need the shipping price...". I didn't let him finish because I'd already knew he'd ask for shipping so I pointed it out on the printout. Then he asked if this was a dealership and I replied "...does it matter? It's OEM parts.", hoping that it really didn't matter. He then tried to backpeddle and say "If this price is lower than the dealship price, I can't give it to you...I won't make any money." I watched his computer monitor as he switched to the dealership price and then I noticed $214.00, which was $118.00 less than MSRP!! He said that I'd have to pay the tax...blah, blah, blah. I said no problem, I'll pay with cash. To make this short, I paid $265.77 to have my fog lights and saved almost $100.00! I'm was quite happy to walk out of the service department with my box-o-parts, and back to the house I go to install them on my RL.

It took me 4 hours to install the fog lights since I made a bonehead mistake with the relay box by putting the fog light harness wires into the wrong connector hole as Lingered_I did. It took a freakin' 30 minutes to figure out how to get them out of the wrong hole without causing any damage, and all that darn grease didn't make it any easier!! Anyhow, it's all good and my new ride is sporting the new fog lights! Thanks again Lingered_I for posting your install story. I wish I'd only paid attention to detail with the relay box :) Here's a pic after all said and done...

-SixOpRidge

Attachments

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SixOpRidge said:
...I made a bonehead mistake...
Glad I'm not the only one :D I think my girlfriend heard words she didn't know were in my vocabulary!!

I fitted black nerf bars tonight and am hoping to get the Retrax cover done by the weekend too. I'd say she's coming together nicely.

BTW - your garage floor looks like you could eat off it. Did you do the painting? If so, any recommendations?

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's okay to use that word...once, and only once :) Look forward to seeing some pics of your new accessories, especially the tonneau cover. I'd like to add one myself someday. In regards to the garage floors, don't let the lighting fool you...it's dirty as can be. I cringe every time just thinking about how dirty the tires get in the garage :D ...jk

-SixOpRidge

·
Registered
275 Posts
SixOpRidge/Lingered_I,
I believe I'm going to dive into fogs and grill this week. You have inspired me to do it myself to make it affordable. In reading through the install pdf it speaks of the anti-theft code for the radio. I have that in my paper work so no problem. The question that comes to mind is...does the radio just not work after reconnecting the battery until you somehow press this code into it? Also, I saw that the auto window function doesn't work after disconnecting the battery until you run it through a ritual. Is there anything else affected by the disconnected battery that needs to be addressed to function properly?
Please advise.
Thanks again for all your install info!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
If I remember correctly, the radio is inoperative until you enter your anti-theft code using the numbered preset buttons. I haven't checked out the radio entirely, but I believe you need to reset your preset stations too. I only checked to see if my SIRIUS connection was good...and it was. The other thing is the automatic window function as you mentioned. If there's anything else, I'm sure Lingered_I will let you know :D Good luck with the install and have fun!

-SixOpRidge

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The radio and navigation system are both disabled until you provide the two appropriate codes. The nav then asks that the vehicle not be moved for 10 minutes while it acquires a signal, but I found it does so in about 2 minutes.
The auto window is disabled but is easy to reset - full down, full up, continue holding button for two seconds.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for the info. One more question for you...
How did the paint on the bumper hold up? Hole saws have very aggressive teeth and also a hack saw. Did the paint flake around the hole saw holes or from any other cutting?
I made the grill and fogs purchase yesterday.
I have to pick up a 1.5 or 40mm saw, the closest I have is a 1.75.
Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts