Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did they class this vehicle. I have just got my polocy renewal from State Farm at $456.48 for 6 months. This includes discouts for Multcar, Accident free, Vehicle saftety, & Multiline policys. This appears to be more than I was paying for my last vehicle - Nissan Armarda SE off road 4x4's, Maybe we now have alot of uninsured drivers in our area, but the city has a population of 52,000 & is basically a rural area.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Your paying more because the Ridgeline, a 2006 vehicle is not in any insurance companies databases. Most likely it will not be until September or October. At this point we should (fingers crossed) see the rates become more favorable. I'm guessing the rates should be similar to the Pilot.

rogerstruck said:
How did they class this vehicle. I have just got my polocy renewal from State Farm at $456.48 for 6 months. This includes discouts for Multcar, Accident free, Vehicle saftety, & Multiline policys. This appears to be more than I was paying for my last vehicle - Nissan Armarda SE off road 4x4's, Maybe we now have alot of uninsured drivers in our area, but the city has a population of 52,000 & is basically a rural area.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
When I received my bill from St. Farm last month I almost died! It was $487 every six months! I never had a claim and have been with them 20 years. I also am rural and live in an area where the population is under 30,000 - and that is for the entire county! However, I do not have any other insurance with St. Farm and the Ridgeline is the only vehicle I own.

I contacted my agent and he said the rates are pretty much set at the corporate office and may go down in time on this model (yea, right!). I could get a couple hundred dollars knocked off by insuring my home with them (they are still way to high on that) and going to a driver class, raising my deductible, etc.

I guess it is just pay-up or shop around but the one place I did check (the folks who have my house policy), said they could not come close to St. Farm on auto insurance, even with a multi-policy discount. I hate to leave St. Farm because I have been with them so long they now can never cancel me as long as I pay my premium and that is always a good thing.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I dropped State Farm about 2 years ago and went with AMEX through Costco.
Much cheaper and more coverage. The RL is my secondary vehicle since I drive a Civic during the week. $354.90 for 6 months. $500 deductible.

Doug

·
Registered
264 Posts
Try Auto owners Ins. With our multi car disc. we paid $749. for the year for our RTL with Navi.
Our quote from The Hartford was over $900

·
Registered
105 Posts
Try living in NJ. Rates are the highest inthe nation. My Ridgeline is going at about 600 every six months. That is only one car! The Taurus is going for about 400 every six months.

·
Registered
491 Posts
emgun-

I'm with Liberty Mutual...just under 1000 a year. But I'm old...and married...and no tickets ...and no accidents. Give it a try.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I haven't bought my Ridgeline yet, but my State Farm agent told me that it will cost me approximately $45 more every six months over my 1999 Dodge Dakota SLT Club Cab which the Ridgeline will replace (from $601 every six months to $646 - I live in Miami where rates are among the highest in the nation :( ). When I asked him why the increase considering Ridgelines menu of GREAT safety features, he told me that there are two main reasons:
  1. The rate tables are not yet "adjusted" to reflect all of Ridgeline's features since it is a 2006 vehicle. He anticipates a rate reduction when I renew in December. State Farm is pretty good at adjusting rates as it collects safety data. I've been with them since 1989 and they have adjusted my rates based on safety record for various reasons (up AND down) on the numerous vehicles I have insured with them over that time.
  2. The Ridgeline PRICE. Comparatively speaking the RTL S/R that I will purchase is pricey for its class and State Farm has to factor replacement costs into its rates.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Using State Farm also and my premium went up approximately $60.00 over my prevoius vehicle (Ford F-250 SuperDuty 4X4 diesel with the Lariet package). Was told the increase was due to the newness of the vehicle and it's replacement cost (the SuperDuty was about $2,000.00 more in 2000). Was also told the Honda Ridgeline safety features actually added to the premium increase due to all the airbags replacement costs??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Nicholas said:
Using State Farm also and my premium went up approximately $60.00 over my prevoius vehicle (Ford F-250 SuperDuty 4X4 diesel with the Lariet package). Was told the increase was due to the newness of the vehicle and it's replacement cost (the SuperDuty was about $2,000.00 more in 2000). Was also told the Honda Ridgeline safety features actually added to the premium increase due to all the airbags replacement costs??? :rolleyes:
you have got to be kidding???? more airbags=more money??? :rolleyes:
what a racket.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
It's for real. It's not just the cost of the airbag themselves, it's the damage the thieves do to the interior when they gut it like a fish to get them out. :mad:

·
Registered
484 Posts
MetLife said that the premium would be "based on the vehicle cost" until they have some data on it. So without having another comparable vehicle, they have to base it on the statistics of other vehicles that cost the same.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'll probably get insurance with State Farm next week since we already have several policies with them. I think last week I received a quote from their online site and it ranged between $470-$530 for 6-months...a definite increase from my $250/6-mos on my '91 Blazer. :eek:

-SixOpRidge

·
Registered
953 Posts
Something you may not be aware of with State Farm - there are discounts associated with the longevity of a policy. If you buy a new vehicle and start a new policy it will typically cost more than if it replaces an existing long term policy. When I bought the Ridgeline I had them swap the discounts from a policy I had since 1993, a vehicle that I intended to sell. This brought me down to $431 every six months and with all the multicar, multiline, accident free and over 35 discounts. I also have high liability (100/300/50) so with the minimum I could be under 400, however with the high cost of cars today the mimimum liability will not cover many SUVs and other expensive vehicles in an accident. Check with your agent and make sure when you buy a new vehicle, replace an existing policy and don't start a new one if you can.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I find it interesting that the insurance company is talking about the cost to replace a vehicle. They do not base their payout on replacement cost. The moment you take a car off the lot you are often under insured. Because a lot of people finance a large portion of a car, they owe more to the finance company than the insurance company is going to cover should they get into an accident 100 miles down the road. Car ownership is always a risk. There is supplemental insurance you can purchase to cover this gap for financing, but to my knowledge, there is no such thing as replacement value insurance for a vehicle. For several insurance companies if you buy the supplemental insurance there will be a grace period under which they will not depreciate your vehicle. For instance, I think for Amica it is 6 months. So for the first 6 months they will cover full replacement, but after that they take into account depreciated value and only cover the financing portion of the vehicle if it is in excess of the value of the vehicle.

That being said, I believe my insurance went up $150 a year from my Forester, which is rather a different class of vehicle (Forester -> Station Wagon). I certainly won't be sad if my insurance does go down though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Might want to check out AllState. We're currently paying $394 for 6 months here in the midwest. Also have our home with them which may make a diff.

·
Registered
233 Posts
DoctorJ said:
Something you may not be aware of with State Farm - there are discounts associated with the longevity of a policy. If you buy a new vehicle and start a new policy it will typically cost more than if it replaces an existing long term policy. When I bought the Ridgeline I had them swap the discounts from a policy I had since 1993, a vehicle that I intended to sell. This brought me down to $431 every six months and with all the multicar, multiline, accident free and over 35 discounts. I also have high liability (100/300/50) so with the minimum I could be under 400, however with the high cost of cars today the mimimum liability will not cover many SUVs and other expensive vehicles in an accident. Check with your agent and make sure when you buy a new vehicle, replace an existing policy and don't start a new one if you can.
I wasn't aware of any discounts for the longevity of a policy, but I'll definitely bring up swapping it versus a new policy. I do have a few discounts already (Multicar, Multiple Line & Accident Free), but according to State Farm's website, only a few apply to us living in Nebraska. I also have high liability (100/300/50) and don't know if I'll reduce those numbers, but there might be something I'll cut out such as the emergency road service, car rental & travel expenses. I may even increase my collision/comp deductible which is currently $250 on my old vehicle. I'll definitely ask the questions to keep the insurance premiums to a minimum. Thanks for your advice! :)

-SixOpRidge

·
Registered
953 Posts
SixOpRidge said:
I wasn't aware of any discounts for the longevity of a policy, but I'll definitely bring up swapping it versus a new policy. I do have a few discounts already (Multicar, Multiple Line & Accident Free), but according to State Farm's website, only a few apply to us living in Nebraska. I also have high liability (100/300/50) and don't know if I'll reduce those numbers, but there might be something I'll cut out such as the emergency road service, car rental & travel expenses. I may even increase my collision/comp deductible which is currently $250 on my old vehicle. I'll definitely ask the questions to keep the insurance premiums to a minimum. Thanks for your advice! :)

-SixOpRidge
One other thing - raise your deductible to $1000 per year and it will make a big difference. The first year I did this with 3 policies it lowered the total of the rates more than $1000 making it perfect sense to have the large deductible.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a Ridgeline and I just called USAA insurance to get a quote. For 100/300/50 coverage and 20,000 miles per year, they quoted me $504 for every 6 months. Guess I need to cut down on my miles per year. These prices are for the southern california market. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts