Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would put this out there for everybody looking for a little bit more performance out of their 2g Ridgeline I have a 2019 and it's quick but it still laged at natural acceleration on the highway so after quite a bit of research I realized I could swap the intakes from an MDX to the Ridgeline and get rid of the restrictive plastic intake you also have to change the lower manifold but once these two modifications are done the truck has alot better acceleration between 40 to 60 mph and it's been on my truck now for 3 months and there was no side effects whatsoever everything is plug and play the upper and lower intake came off of a 2016 MDX which I got from the junkyard all the gaskets came from a 2016 MDX it's as easy as unbolting the plastic intake and bolting on the new intake even the factory engine cover clips right back into place just figured I would put this out there so everybody who's looking for a little bit more power

Premium Member
You sir, are one peculiar individual. How did you determine that the '16 MDX would have similar lower runner design (though they are both the Earth Dreams)?
What throttle body did you use? MDX or the G2 Ridgeline? Any confirmation on their respective sizes? I just realized that the MAP sensor is on the IM.

How sure are you that the manifold helps make more power? You sure it is not just being responsive? Any plans to do any further tuning or getting it to a dyno?

Welcome to ROC and hope to see more contributions such as this.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
This engine was first put in the new RLX and 13 Honda Accord any parts on a precursor MDX make me a way to the newer model Honda's such as the pilot and Ridgeline I knew it was sent because I looked at a 2019 MDX which has the same intake manifold as the 2016 the throttle body on me g2 Ridgeline and on the MDX are identical there the same throttle body from the 3.7 v6 and I don't care so much about the horsepower I was just trying to make it more responsive like I said it definitely made it quicker , I use it as my daily and I was sick of the lethargic way it kept up with trafic I tried the VC muzzler and it didn't make much of a difference so I took it off this works much better and the only reason I found out about the lower intake is because I pulled my upper intake the EGR Port is different on the lower intake of the MDX than on the Ridgeline the only parts you need to make the swap is the upper and lower intake an the bolts for the MDX upper intake , everything else is identical it's just plug and play all the sensors everything throttle body all bolt right onto it and I have no interesting by knowing it if you go by the MDX numbers it would only give you 10 horsepower and 5 foot pounds of torque which is not even worth checking to find out

Registered
I personally would interested in making more power in the lower RPM ranges. Presumably the Ridge intake is tuned for a truck application giving up some top end power for more down low. It would be nice if the MDX intake was a win win but I would then have to wonder why Honda didn't do that in the first place?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Is no truck tuned intake the pilot will Ridgeline in the passport all have identical intakes Honda didn't do it because the plastic intakes are cheaper to make you can't have more power than the MDX in a pilot because no one will buy the MDX they buy the cheaper pilot the only difference between a passport pilot and Ridgeline is the springs are stiffer in Ridgeland so I can carry a little bit more weight

Registered
The throttle bodies for the MDX and the Ridgeline are the same part numbers (16400-5J6-A01), same goes for the Pilot. I've been trying to come up with a way to manipulate OEM parts to fit some aftermarket options. This gets me closer, but theres still no products developed for the 16+ MDX. I would love to know the actual gain or loss from using the MDX IM, and am interested in temperature differences and flow capacity differences.

Premium Member
Composite intake manifolds have been around for a long time and it is not only easy and cheaper to make (raw material and production), it also does not heat soak like the aluminum and magnesium manifolds. Power gains are a combination of intake & exhaust design, PCM programming, and fuel used. Though the engine specs can be exactly the same, the variants about provide a different result throughout the rev range. One downside is the rivnuts cannot be overtorqued and if done, a whole new manifold (or ghetto rigging) is required.
These are not dual stage manifolds as in the G1 ('06-'08 do not count) and with DI, power production in the lower/mid range is adequately managed and coupled with 9spd/10spd transmissions, the effective power at the hubs is easily managed.

The mid range pick up/response could be due to the different plenum volume. @Speedemon , I wish you had measured the volume of both the manifolds using the 'fill it with water and dump to measure' trick.

@Logey22 , what size the G2 TB?

@Okidoki78 , hahahaha you read my mind as I had trouble understanding what he was talking about.

Registered
You sir, are one peculiar individual. How did you determine that the '16 MDX would have similar lower runner design (though they are both the Earth Dreams)?
What throttle body did you use? MDX or the G2 Ridgeline? Any confirmation on their respective sizes? I just realized that the MAP sensor is on the IM.

How sure are you that the manifold helps make more power? You sure it is not just being responsive? Any plans to do any further tuning or getting it to a dyno?

Welcome to ROC and hope to see more contributions such as this.
This is a pretty popular upgrade in the Acura TLX world.

"Swapping the intake manifold on the J-Series Honda V6 engine is a simple way to add power. The largest manifold Honda has made for these engines to date is off the 3.7L J37 variants found on SH-AWD RL and ZDX engines. Depending on your engine, a few options are available to make sure you get the right parts at the best value."

I figured I would put this out there for everybody looking for a little bit more performance out of their 2g Ridgeline I have a 2019 and it's quick but it still laged at natural acceleration on the highway so after quite a bit of research I realized I could swap the intakes from an MDX to the Ridgeline and get rid of the restrictive plastic intake you also have to change the lower manifold but once these two modifications are done the truck has alot better acceleration between 40 to 60 mph and it's been on my truck now for 3 months and there was no side effects whatsoever everything is plug and play the upper and lower intake came off of a 2016 MDX which I got from the junkyard all the gaskets came from a 2016 MDX it's as easy as unbolting the plastic intake and bolting on the new intake even the factory engine cover clips right back into place just figured I would put this out there so everybody who's looking for a little bit more power
Any before and after dyno results you can share?

Premium Member
It is hard to believe in claims when those claims apply to apples and oranges. That intake manifold/TB is out of a ZDX/MDX (2010 - 2013), which had the largest TB diameter (80mm stock) in the Acura/Honda lineup at that time.
The one that @Speedemon has is from the current gen MDX (YD3 chassis) utilizes the same Tb as the G2 Ridgeline, but the actual intake manifold is only shared between the current gen MDX, RLX, and TLX. I am sure these models run on premium fuel and have very different fuel mapping. On the bright side, the Ridgeline's plastic manifold is $60 cheaper than the MDX one.

Registered
Ahh ok. I thought it was the same manifold. If the TB size in the MDX one is the same as the Ridgeline, I don鈥檛 see where it would make much of a difference. Either way, who really knows what the gains (or losses) will be until someone does a before and after pull.

Registered
The difference is in the size of the intake runners. the MDX in the bottom picture has MUCH larger runners meaning more intake volume.
More air equals more power assuming the throttle body isn't already at the limit of it's cfm potential.
Better yet those runners look thick enough to be able to port it even more.

Registered
What is the cfm flow before and after? I'll let the #'s speak for themselves, else were just guessing. I'm not sure the difference would be worth the warranty void imo.

Premium Member
Unless one does a confirmation of the volume these two manifolds occupy accompanied by a dyno run, it is just an assumption. Rudimentary numbers of 0-60mph, or 40-70mph can provide some insight.

If the G2 is 79mm and the MDX is 80mm, there is not much of a difference at the throttle body.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts