Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to "lock" the setting so it doesn't default back to Normal?

Once it snows here it will stay that way for 3-4 months, so it would be nice to not have to re-select the Snow mode every time the vehicle is started.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I ain't no expert but I imagine auto would be fine for all situation except deep snow, hence the setting for sand/mud/snow.

Hard packed snow is similar to asphalt for driving with exception of the obvious increase in stopping distance and cornering.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will have to experiment when we have snow on the ground.

I think that the main difference when in the Snow setting is the "slower" start or acceleration from a stop. The ECO Mode feels similar, so maybe that is also a good option, but I'm not even sure if the ECO Mode stays on once set.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Not to my knowledge. I have snow mode on my AWD Genesis, if the snow mode is anything like the car then it is useless for everyday use. It will not control traction, only gas pedal input and maybe start you off in second gear. Basically you have very low power input and not something you want to keep engaged all the time. On a very slippery day when in blizzard condition it may be helpful if you do not know how to drive in snow that is. Personally I found it dangerous as input was that bad. I have no experience with the RL yet but the snow will soon fly. :wink:

·
Registered
461 Posts
I will have to experiment when we have snow on the ground.

I think that the main difference when in the Snow setting is the "slower" start or acceleration from a stop. The ECO Mode feels similar, so maybe that is also a good option, but I'm not even sure if the ECO Mode stays on once set.
Yes it does along with distance setting for the smart cruise control.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Does anybody have a link that describes actually how the Intelligent Traction Management System works with the four available functions For Normal Mud Sand and Snow?
How the system changes for each?

·
Registered
304 Posts
So when there saying the rear is locked are they describing that it works like a a E-Locker on a 4X4 truck where both rear tires are locked and spinning at the same speed? Also does this unlock when a certain speed is reached or is it limited to how fast the Ridgeline can accelerate to?

Sand: Basically the same as “mud,” but with all the needles moved even more aggressively. It has maximum rear-bias (a Honda rep told me 70 percent) and an electronically “locked” rear differential.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just leave in in normal. Most winter driving is packed white snow, wet/dry very cold pavement or <6 inches of dry powder, wet heavy or other types. Normal almost always is better. I would save snow mode for slow crawling (say a driveway that hasn't been plowed), novice winter drivers (and I include those without winter tires here), or "maybe" a steep grade you've had to stop at the valley in because other drivers with all seasons can't get up. We had a great snow driving winter here last winter and I used mud/sand a few times to let the back loose, or normal. I put on snow once to experiment - from what I can tell it's for plodding along slowly when normal got you stuck. This truck is a traction monster.

There's once trail/driveway situation I have yet to experiment with and that's 6-18 inches of soft under a thick ice crust over top. IMO thats one of the toughest driving conditions, and that's where I would probably try normal>snow> reverse the hell out of there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just leave in in normal. Most winter driving is packed white snow, wet/dry very cold pavement or <6 inches of dry powder, wet heavy or other types. Normal almost always is better. I would save snow mode for slow crawling (say a driveway that hasn't been plowed), novice winter drivers (and I include those without winter tires here), or "maybe" a steep grade you've had to stop at the valley in because other drivers with all seasons can't get up. We had a great snow driving winter here last winter and I used mud/sand a few times to let the back loose, or normal. I put on snow once to experiment - from what I can tell it's for plodding along slowly when normal got you stuck. This truck is a traction monster.

There's once trail/driveway situation I have yet to experiment with and that's 6-18 inches of soft under a thick ice crust over top. IMO thats one of the toughest driving conditions, and that's where I would probably try normal>snow> reverse the hell out of there.
I don't have any snow experience in my RL yet, but if that works for you great! As you can see, snow mode doesn't make significant changes to the system parameters (which aligns with your experience of normal working well)... simply backing off the throttle response and providing a bit more bias to the rear wheels. That may result in slightly less time to "find traction" when you would've otherwise slipped.

I'm not really sure what happens with Snow+Eco... is there a compounding effect on throttle response? I'm guessing not.

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
70 Posts
We used the sand mode in December while driving on the beach at New Smyrna. The north end has some deep sand and we drove through about a quarter mile with no issues.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
We have owned our Ridgeline for nearly 3-years now and have yet to push this button. So, I am just curious to hear those folks thoughts and impressions of when they have had he opportunity to use the Intelligent Traction Management system, have you found it to be helpful?

Bill

1 - 20 of 29 Posts