Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
That's a very good article.. I bought my G2 without understanding what's unibody!! LOL.. Now I begin to appreciate the engineering behind it, no wonder why family members who were in my truck saying it's so quiet and ride was so comfortable, this article explains everything! Thanks for sharing.

· Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hopefully the re-engineered critical joints hold up over time. I especially liked that as much as the new RL is a redesigned Pilot it still took some decent engineering to pull of the truck like appearance.

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,925 Posts
Reading between the lines, they probably could have made the G2 quite a bit lighter by using the sail panel configuration of the G1, but then it wouldn't sell, of course.

What if you created some D-pillars (mimicking an SUV) by just using large tubing (like a rollbar), but going back from the cab, parallel to the bed, and then down, sort of like a bed rack? The unibody truck would be much stronger (probably out-tow the GC EcoDiesel), and you would lose very little pickup truck utility (probably even gain a little with the built-in bed rack - contractors would love it!). But would it sell to Joe Public?

· Registered
408 Posts
Reading between the lines, they probably could have made the G2 quite a bit lighter by using the sail panel configuration of the G1, but then it wouldn't sell, of course.

What if you created some D-pillars (mimicking an SUV) by just using large tubing (like a rollbar), but going back from the cab, parallel to the bed, and then down, sort of like a bed rack? The unibody truck would be much stronger (probably out-tow the GC EcoDiesel), and you would lose very little pickup truck utility (probably even gain a little with the built-in bed rack - contractors would love it!). But would it sell to Joe Public?
If you're thinking Jeep Wrangler-like rear, then it might be okay if overall aesthetics and aerodynamics works with it. But then people still wouldn't call it a having a traditional truck design.

· Registered
183 Posts
Here's an interesting article by Truckyeah on unibody, specifically the RL, trucks.
Mid-Size Trucks Don't Need Frames
Enjoy...
Thx for posting the article, very interesting & informative :act024:
The ingress/egress ease & cab roominess, made possible with unibody engineering, are frequently listed as buyers preference in Ridgeline purchase. :wink:

· Registered
3,228 Posts
The article also answered my question about why the RL's unibody didn't result in weight savings over competing BOF midsize trucks. I'm thinking more high-strength steel, composites and further innovation in the ACE platform may produce a lighter Gen3 RL ...assuming the truck survives for a re-design.

· Registered
183 Posts
IMHO, It sounds like Unibody construction is here to stay. The cross-over vehicle has made it common place, with light weight, rigid frame, durablity, along with hard to beat mpg, strength, safety, and manufacturing efficiency. 0:)

Nearly all manufacturers currently use unibody on some of their vehicles, and with the cost of steel continuing to rise, eventually, I believe most midsize trucks will feature it as well. Honda likely made the Ridgeline a unibody because of commonality/efficiency with its other lines. Other manufactures may adopt it in similar fashion. :act024:

Just sayin ... :grin:

· Premium Member
67 Posts
After reading this article I couldn't help but notice the advantages of a unibody design in action. My wife was essentially standing up while loading the car seat into the middle of the truck! It's a little tighter for me, but when bent at the waist I can also maneuver around pretty easily in the back.

Please don't judge my dirty truck.....

· Registered
183 Posts
LOL!!!

Modern Steel, and Lunar Silver both seem to "hide" dirt well 0:)

Occasionally I'll wash my RL, and am surprised how much better it looks!:wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.