Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last month or so my interior has developed an odor. It smells like an old wet towel.I figured I had a leak somewhere so llast weekend I checked and could not find any dampness anywhere. While I was looking I cleaned the interior throughly, mind it's always pretty clean. Never any old food, no fast food bags, no spills, no small children or pets to leave anything behind. Cleaning did not help.
I'm trying to figure my next move.
I'm starting to think the heat/ac may be the source. So im going to check the ac drain to make sure it's draining. I also plan on replacing the cabin filter. Im also considering trying to flush the ac box/drain with an enzyme cleaner.
Psst that I'm not sure where to go. Any thoughts or ideas?

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
I've read some old posts where the floor was wet under the carpet when removed to add sound dampening material etc. Have you had much rain lately? Rain was often the culprit and a hole underneath the RL. Try a search for 'wet floor leak'. Pop the trim step inside the doors with you fingers and slide your hand under the rug. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
All of your proposed actions are good. Go ahead and do those.

My first thought was heater core, being winter and not using AC much except for defrost. Two quick checks. Check coolant bottle under hood. If it is low on coolant or you have been adding coolant, the liquid is going somewhere.....if you see no leaks under the hood or under the car, then it could be the heater core may have a leak and that can get down under the carpet, even though the top side feels dry.

Heli's suggestion is also good to feel under the front and back seat carpet. Check your rear slider window too for possible leak as it could run down behind the rear seat.

You have an RTL, correct? If so the moonroof probably has channel drains running down the pillars to drain water that gets past the seal. These can get clogged and back up. Check your headliner for wetness.

And there is always the windshield and the door seals, but save that till last.

Based on your description, I would bet a paycheck your carpet padding is wet somewhere.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You might want to check your cabin air filter. If you have not changed it in a while, it can give off some funky smells. Learned that lesson with my wife's CR-V.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
Agree... change the cabin air filter first. Then go lookin' for trouble if that doesn't fix it.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carpet is dry even afterr a good vacuuming and no coolant smell but I will pop a door sill or 4 off and check the pad. I had thought about the sunroof drains but the truck doesnt live anywhere to really collect debris, still I'll check the padding for water and double check the headliner. Had not thought about the rear slider and will check that for sure.
This weekend it will get a new cabin filter and ac drain verified clear.
Thanks for the suggestions guys, anybody have any place else to check?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts