Registered
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the shop for a sensor problem.

Chip H.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Well, that would suck to have your new vehicle taken apart. Hopefully they fix the faulty sensor & get it back together properly.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
Don't forget to remove and replace the missed white automotive interior plastic clips.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Hopefully they get everything back together and you have no future problems related to issue. When I got my 1994 Accord EX new it was the fist batch of the redesigned models. It was 5speed manual EX and dealer did not know when they would get another one in that color in. The dealer had aftermarket company put leather in for me. I had picked up the car new from dealer and they would contact me when ready to install leather interior and dealer would provide a rental. So Honda had bad batch issue with drivers electric window regulator on all new models. Since mine was one of newest less then week old.
It rained a few days in row after I got car so window was up I did roll it down over weekend and it stayed down and would not come up. When I got to dealer service that Monday they had just got notice of recall from Honda.
They put me in a rental as it would take a day so for window regulator.
My sales person called me about leather interior said company was ready to do it. I told her car was in their service for recall window issue and I had rental car. She thought my car was at the Dealerships main location where she works I said it was at their old original service center closer to DC where I live. The company came down with truck and I was told took the interior out of car seats and stuff. One of the service advisor women said she almost cried when they took the brand new car apart. When it was ready & I went to get it she told me about this but then said I was going to love the work they did.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to correct an impression - this is someone else's vehicle.

Chip H.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
The fingerprint magnet touchscreen sticks out like a sore thumb. Honda is getting poor initial customer reports about both the screen and software.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yup, the screen is huge, but atleast it is not as ugly and sticks out like the new Mercedes that looks like it has an iPad on a suctions cup like you would do with and iPhone.

·
Administrator
17,321 Posts
Oh, MYYY. I think my feet just went numb imagining how I would feel if this were my vehicle. Once something is taken apart, it can NEVER be exactly the same as when it left the factory, PERIOD. I feel for this owner if they are 1/10th as picky as I am.

Why on this green Earth did they have to take so much apart? I'm guessing there is a short to ground or short to B+ somewhere along a communication line. Those can be bears since they are all interconnected and you have to isolate harnesses to pinpoint the fault.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The fingerprint magnet touchscreen sticks out like a sore thumb. Honda is getting poor initial customer reports about both the screen and software.
Not good. Wife and I looked at one (just outside looking in). I made the comment to her that I didn't trust honda to do the infotainment system right and that I would rather not have that system at all.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Hope they put it back together again and fix problem.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't worry about getting it back together - on a new model the dealer is going to put their most experienced tech on it.

The good news is that all the plastic clips are fresh and probably won't break. 10 years from now it'd be a different story.

Chip H.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,409 Posts
And depending on what it is, Honda Corporate may be sending someone out to, help and/or do the work or at least have a wide open list of available parts, no matter the cost

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Oh, MYYY. I think my feet just went numb imagining how I would feel if this were my vehicle. Once something is taken apart, it can NEVER be exactly the same as when it left the factory, PERIOD. I feel for this owner if they are 1/10th as picky as I am.

Why on this green Earth did they have to take so much apart? I'm guessing there is a short to ground or short to B+ somewhere along a communication line. Those can be bears since they are all interconnected and you have to isolate harnesses to pinpoint the fault.
You got that right. I dont care who put it back together.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I wouldn't worry about getting it back together - on a new model the dealer is going to put their most experienced tech on it.

The good news is that all the plastic clips are fresh and probably won't break. 10 years from now it'd be a different story.

Chip H.
Yea their most experienced tech that has never seen one till now.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
And depending on what it is, Honda Corporate may be sending someone out to, help and/or do the work or at least have a wide open list of available parts, no matter the cost
So he maybe coming from Japan? And the owner might not have his or her new ride for a month, bummer big time. I hope their Dealer gave them a new Pilot to drive while theirs is in the shop. I'd demand a different one, sorry. How would one feel spending thousands to have it in the hospital under some major surgery within such a short time. Then you have to trust it when you get it back for years to come or sell it and take a loss or try and fight a lemon law. Does something like this show up on the Carfax and if not why.

·
Administrator
17,321 Posts
So he maybe coming from Japan? And the owner might not have his or her new ride for a month, bummer big time. I hope their Dealer gave them a new Pilot to drive while theirs is in the shop. I'd demand a different one, sorry. How would one feel spending thousands to have it in the hospital under some major surgery within such a short time. Then you have to trust it when you get it back for years to come or sell it and take a loss or try and fight a lemon law. Does something like this show up on the Carfax and if not why.
It'll probably show up on CARFAX, but the entry will be a summary reported by the dealer such as "6/21/2015 1,200 MILES - SENSOR WIRING REPAIRED - HONDA DEALER, USA". My few warranty repairs over the years have shown up, but are often incorrectly or insufficiently described. On the flip side, my CARFAX shows each time my dealer washes my Ridgeline when I get a free oil change!

Back to the reassembly, unless that "person from Japan" also brings the same robotic assembly equipment used at the plant, it still won't be put back together exactly the same. Robots can place components and torque fasteners with higher precision and repeatability than any human.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea their most experienced tech that has never seen one till now.
It's not quite that bad. Car makers have a certain way they tend to put things together. It's not like a new model is entirely & totally different. There's going to be carryover in things like clips and fasteners, especially if they've proven themselves in previous cars.

Plus, if they do break something, parts are available, unlike a 10+ year old design. If I recall correctly, automakers have to keep major parts in stock for 10 years after a model is discontinued. But minor pieces (trim bits, etc) probably run out of stock over time and aren't replaced.

Chip H.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,409 Posts
Nope I'd guess from Alabama, Probably a 'Lead Tech' type. Depending on years and experience he could probably hand assemble most of the Vehicles he or she has worked on. And although robotics do a lot, it is actually quite amazing how much work is still completed by humans. The robotics may move the seat into position but a person will have a pneumatic impact wrench with the correct bolt/nut preloaded and hit the wrench just long enough to torque to spec. But then again it's been 25 years since I've been in an automobile manufacturing facility. But if you look at Plant parking lot there are still quite a few people working there and I doubt there only job is to pull the vehicles out to the storage yard to await loading on rail cars and car haulers.

·
Administrator
17,321 Posts
Nope I'd guess from Alabama, Probably a 'Lead Tech' type. Depending on years and experience he could probably hand assemble most of the Vehicles he or she has worked on. And although robotics do a lot, it is actually quite amazing how much work is still completed by humans. The robotics may move the seat into position but a person will have a pneumatic impact wrench with the correct bolt/nut preloaded and hit the wrench just long enough to torque to spec. But then again it's been 25 years since I've been in an automobile manufacturing facility. But if you look at Plant parking lot there are still quite a few people working there and I doubt there only job is to pull the vehicles out to the storage yard to await loading on rail cars and car haulers.
Furthermore, the line will not allow the vehicle to index to the next station until the tool reports the correct torque values has been achieved for the specified fasteners.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts