Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if the noise I'm hearing is a VCM issue or not. It only happens when I have the cruise control on. When I go over a small hill and start down the other side it fells like the engine roars for a few seconds. The RPM's do not change, it's almost like it downshifts. Again, only lasts a few seconds but seems more constant now than before. I've had the truck for 3-1/2 years and this only started about three months ago. 2017 EX with about 52K.

·
Registered
14 Posts
IMO, vcm engagement, happens in CC on flat surface and drops out of vcm when accelerating/decellerating. VCM can be disabled but not by Honda if you catch my drift.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
I'm not sure if the noise I'm hearing is a VCM issue or not. It only happens when I have the cruise control on. When I go over a small hill and start down the other side it fells like the engine roars for a few seconds. The RPM's do not change, it's almost like it downshifts. Again, only lasts a few seconds but seems more constant now than before. I've had the truck for 3-1/2 years and this only started about three months ago. 2017 EX with about 52K.
Engine roaring and no RPM change are mutually exclusive events. It has to be something other than the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Engine roaring and no RPM change are mutually exclusive events. It has to be something other than the engine.
The RPM meter will kick a little but really quick, hard to even see it. But I tend to agree, I think it's more transmission. I can't believe something with the Cruise would cause it, but stranger things have happened. I called the Honda garage today and of course they have never heard of this kind of event.

Possibly the hydraulic pump in the VSA modulator applying the brakes to slow the vehicle.
Don't think this is the issue, I'm only talking about small knoll with almost no pitch. It actually did it today on a pretty flat stretch of road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Talked to a service manager at the Honda garage and of course he has never heard of such a thing. I guess I'm going to have to get him in the truck and listen for himself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue with cruise control on a 2017 RTS around 65 mph. Vehicle has 34000 miles. I took into dealer and had tsb completed for the transmission service drain and replace but It did not solve the issue. Next step I’m going to install a vcm muzzle to see if the problem resolves. You are not alone with this condition.

·
Administrator
15,694 Posts
Efans may be switching to high speed momentarily to cool the condenser or motor or both.
Electric cooling fans don't run above a certain speed to save energy. They don't need to because at some point the quantity of ram air will be greater than the amount the fans can move. It's typically 30-40 MPH for most vehicles. I believe it's 37 MPH for the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I believe under certain scenarios efans, at least on some vehicles, will run when the vehicle is moving. Temp parameters will always override vehicle speed. Not much ram air at 37 mph with a 30 mph tailwind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick update installed vcm Muzzler II did not solve the issue must be something else going on. Also already did tsb for torque converter shudder. Nothing has helped.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quick update installed vcm Muzzler II did not solve the issue must be something else going on. Also already did tsb for torque converter shudder. Nothing has helped.
What Color VCM Muzzler do you have installed? It may be that the noise you're hearing is still the VCM kicking in due to higher engine temps... Next time you hear this see if you can pay close attention to the color of the lights around your speedometer too. Mine will typically change from green to white when it makes this noise. When I engage the throttle to kick it out of (What I presume to be) VCM the noise goes away and the dash color goes back to green.

This has been an issue on mine since day one and every time i take it to dealer they say they can't replicate it... Its such a subtle noise that the typical passenger or driver might not notice it, At least in mine it is subtle.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
64 Posts
I have this same issue when using ACC. I only notice it on highways though. I don’t use ACC outside of that most of the time. It’s very subtle and my wife never says anything about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This post has inspired me to do a little more digging into my issue of the engine roar. I have the exact same issue as described in the original post, most prominently noticed when: speed >= 60 mph, engine RPM ~ 2k, and typically on a flat surface just after coming downhill. I dropped my vehicle off at the dealer today for routine maintenance and to reassess this issue (I've brought in before and technician was "unable to replicate issue"), I spoke with a different tech and informed him I've been collecting data via the OBD II to try and determine any weird/bad actors when the truck makes this noise.

I can't seem to find anything immediately available in the data, but that's also because my current data resolution is at 4.5 seconds since i'm pulling so much information. If I can narrow it down to 4-6 variables then I can have a resolution of microseconds. If there are any other data nerds like me out there I've linked this morning driving logs to this post and highlighted the rows blue where the engine was making this noise. I should note that it wasn't making the noise the entirety of the time highlighted, but the noise was most certainly within the time highlighted.

Would love to see everyone's thoughts if they get into the data. I tried to upload the excel files to this post but it won't allow the *.xlsx extension type so the link to the excel files can be found here: Drive Logs - Google Drive

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update to my post above. The dealership took it for a few days and drove it around. He indicated that the rumble from the engine was normal... Figured they would say this... I'll continue data-logging and bringing it up at certain service intervals.

·
Administrator
15,694 Posts
Update to my post above. The dealership took it for a few days and drove it around. He indicated that the rumble from the engine was normal... Figured they would say this... I'll continue data-logging and bringing it up at certain service intervals.
Have them demonstrate that all the other Ridgelines on their lot exhibit the same characteristic. If it's normal - they'll all do it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
This post has inspired me to do a little more digging into my issue of the engine roar. I have the exact same issue as described in the original post, most prominently noticed when: speed >= 60 mph, engine RPM ~ 2k, and typically on a flat surface just after coming downhill. I dropped my vehicle off at the dealer today for routine maintenance and to reassess this issue (I've brought in before and technician was "unable to replicate issue"), I spoke with a different tech and informed him I've been collecting data via the OBD II to try and determine any weird/bad actors when the truck makes this noise.

I can't seem to find anything immediately available in the data, but that's also because my current data resolution is at 4.5 seconds since i'm pulling so much information. If I can narrow it down to 4-6 variables then I can have a resolution of microseconds. If there are any other data nerds like me out there I've linked this morning driving logs to this post and highlighted the rows blue where the engine was making this noise. I should note that it wasn't making the noise the entirety of the time highlighted, but the noise was most certainly within the time highlighted.

Would love to see everyone's thoughts if they get into the data. I tried to upload the excel files to this post but it won't allow the *.xlsx extension type so the link to the excel files can be found here: Drive Logs - Google Drive
Do you have a VCM muzzling device installed? ECT1 is reading low.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you have a VCM muzzling device installed? ECT1 is reading low.
Yes, I do have it installed. I've been monitoring that temperature as well.

Have them demonstrate that all the other Ridgelines on their lot exhibit the same characteristic. If it's normal - they'll all do it.
That's a very good point. Thanks for the tip. Next time I'm around there I'll ask them to do this.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Maybe others can chime in but not sure that 169F will prevent VCM from activating. At least SVCM says 167F is the threshold. If you have a resistor based muzzler you may want to change the resistor to lower the indicated ECT1 temperature.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts