Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
ECT1 temperature needs to be below 167F to keep VCM inactive. The logs are showing it drift above that while moving, so the VCM is active. At idle the temp will usually rise a little above 167F, but VCM is not functioning then anyway, so will go back down when moving. If you are using the VCM Muzzler II with switchable resistors try the next higher value. I'm using the 100 ohm resistor in both of mine (I think the color is brown). You want the temperature to range between 162 and 166 while moving. So far that has worked for me year round, and I have not felt the need to upgrade to another defeat device.

Note: If using VCM Muzzler II, resistor must be changed while the engine is cold. Changing the resistor on a hot engine may cause a P0128 code CEL.
(48) VCMuzzler II for disabling VCM - FAQ's | Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums (piloteers.org)

But, if I was buying a VCM defeat device today, I would get the more advanced VCM Tuner II.
VCMTUNER II - Advanced - 2007+ for Honda Acura 3.5L I-VTEC Disable VCM

Reactions: AusEmWes92

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe others can chime in but not sure that 169F will prevent VCM from activating. At least SVCM says 167F is the threshold. If you have a resistor based muzzler you may want to change the resistor to lower the indicated ECT1 temperature.
And here I was thinking it was 175°F for some reason. I'll plug in the next level resistor over lunch and monitor the trends on the way home. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
ECT1 temperature needs to be below 167F to keep VCM inactive. The logs are showing it drift above that while moving, so the VCM is active. At idle the temp will usually rise a little above 167F, but VCM is not functioning then anyway, so will go back down when moving. If you are using the VCM Muzzler II with switchable resistors try the next higher value. I'm using the 100 ohm resistor in both of mine (I think the color is brown). You want the temperature to range between 162 and 166 while moving. So far that has worked for me year round, and I have not felt the need to upgrade to another defeat device.

Note: If using VCM Muzzler II, resistor must be changed while the engine is cold. Changing the resistor on a hot engine may cause a P0128 code CEL.
(48) VCMuzzler II for disabling VCM - FAQ's | Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums (piloteers.org)

But, if I was buying a VCM defeat device today, I would get the more advanced VCM Tuner II.
VCMTUNER II - Advanced - 2007+ for Honda Acura 3.5L I-VTEC Disable VCM
Thanks for that. Another friend of mine is using the VCM Muzzler II as well and he has experienced the engine generate codes because of coolant, I'll let him know about that. I'll also research more on the VCMTuner II and maybe switch to it myself.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts