Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some background and the problem:

So not too long ago I had the timing belt done, water pump serpentine tensioner, timing belt tensioner done by the Dealership for 700. I figured I would do the differential oil change and transfer case oil change later. So some things I noticed...when draining the transfer case oil (which I used the Valvoline 80-90W GL4-GL5 Hypoid gear oil) Draining the old fluid it was a super bright red color. I know it's the transfer case and not the tranny, because takes just under a Qt to fill it up + it's location. The replacement fluid is a near yellow oil color. I performed the VTM differential fluid change as well since I was a little behind on that because it started to sound a little noisy whine related to my speeds. I have 103k miles on my RL. Now the issue at hand which is intermittent sounds like a faint (can only hear it when the radio is off) short grinding or clicking when coming up my hill to my house that lasts for about 2-3 seconds. It is not steep, like a gradual 1-3% grade over 1 mile seems to be at the same spot in the road every time. I haven't had it happen when driving around town or back country roads, etc...The other sign I noticed is when in a parking lot going over a steep speed bump the yellow triangle with the exclamation blinks for a few seconds indicating traction control/stability assist. I don't drive fast over the speed bumps but thought it a bit weird...I recently drive the truck a lot more and it used to sit for days on end when I had a company car if that information helps...I noticed I need to also flush my brake fluid because it is looking pretty dark and was last done a few years ago, and I'll probably get to it next week.

Any ideas, or things to watch out for in this situation? I have no error codes, incomplete codes, or any hard faults.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,709 Posts
Transmission fluid and VTM4 fluid are both red and would be a poor choice as a lube for the front transfer case. Hopefully no permanent damage was done.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I had the dealership do it a few years ago when it was due, because I didn't have time to do it myself, and now it makes me angry . . . Luckily it's been sitting a lot since they performed the service...maybe like 6k miles since they performed it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: it has been getting quieter and quieter as I have been driving it so hopefully no permanent damage was done...yeah when I saw the red fluid drain out of the front transfer case I was like, 'that does not look like gear oil, but it sure smelled like gear oil.'

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I had the dealership do it a few years ago when it was due, because I didn't have time to do it myself, and now it makes me angry . . . Luckily it's been sitting a lot since they performed the service...maybe like 6k miles since they performed it.
At one time, many dealerships were clueless about the transfer case. It isn't surprising that they bungled the job.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So after a few days while it was still warm I drained and refilled it again, now it is so quiet like when it was new. so hopefully it will be fine...didn't need problems with the Honda RL since we are replacing the wife's Subaru which has 533k miles this year...TY all for the input & PM's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts